Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

240 KMH Vid on Youtube

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

BnA wrote: »
    You do in your hole

Everyone does .. only people that wouldnt are trucks, heavy vehicles and people in smaller cars.

Sherifu wrote: »
    You have a lot less time to react at those speeds. Given Irish raods and driver competence we'd see a lot more dead than we do now.
    Clear enough?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55533614&postcount=57

I'm not in Ireland and i'm saying 240KPH IS NOT THAT FAST, i never mentioned Ireland, my reasoning is that people travel freqeuntly at this speed and don't get killed or kill anyone.

If its the drivers that are incompetant, or the roads are bad, thats a seperate issue and not my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The video is from Irish roads. That's what we're talking about here. 1 idiot in Donegal. That's what i'm commenting on. Anything else is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Oh FFS

Alun wrote: »
    Not even in Germany can you drive at those kinds of speeds on a normal 2 lane road. If anything their speed limits on these types of roads is lower than ours.

Actually its the other way around, more than 3 lanes and the limit is 120, two or three lanes theres no limit.

I would NOT fancy a five lane autobahn at high speed.

• Advertisement

The video is from Irish roads. That's what we're talking about here. 1 idiot in Donegal. That's what i'm commenting on. Anything else is irrelevant.

It could be anywhere .. 240kp/h is the same in any country thats using the metric system.

craichoe wrote: »
    It could be anywhere .. 240kp/h is the same in any country thats using the metric system.
    The roads aren't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

craichoe wrote: »
    Actually its the other way around, more than 3 lanes and the limit is 120, two or three lanes theres no limit.
    I didn't mean dual carriageways/autobahns/motorways of any kind, I meant normal two-lane, i.e. single carriageway roads. Remember I lived in Holland/Germany for over 20 years before moving here, so I'm actually agreeing with you! I used to do Darmstadt (just below Frankfurt) to Utrecht pretty much every week.

What I was referring to were normal single-carriageway German Bundesstrassen or Landstrassen, where limits tend to be comparatively low in my experience.

Alun wrote: »
    I didn't mean dual carriageways/autobahns/motorways of any kind, I meant normal two-lane, i.e. single carriageway roads. Remember I lived in Holland/Germany for over 20 years before moving here, so I'm actually agreeing with you! I used to do Darmstadt (just below Frankfurt) to Utrecht pretty much every week.

What I was referring to were normal single-carriageway German Bundesstrassen or Landstrassen, where limits tend to be comparatively low in my experience.

Ah ok, yeh that would be correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

That would be the 'silent majority' of 'advanced motorists' who think they can break any law that does not conform to their notion of 'common sense' (aka selfish interests) and who consider slower, more cautious drivers to be incompetent & want elderly and disabled drivers put off the road, or at least forced onto the hard shoulder.

The story on the YouTube video is an embarrassment to the 'responsible speeder' lobby here and they're desperately trying to media manage the response.

Guy is not a responsiable speeder. Glad to see you are trashing out the same old ****e anyway cyclo. I never realized driving using my experience, training and common sense was "selfish" of me. Of course your bleeding heart would not find the older idiots oblivious to the frustration and tailbacks they cause "selfish" at all.

We never forced, or advocated forcing anyone into the hard shoulder. Its just a decent thing to do to pull over WHERE SAFE TO DO SO if you are driving slower then conditions permit. Simple, even you can understand that. Then again, I'm arguing with a wall here.;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

astraboy wrote: »
    Guy is not a responsiable speeder.
    Gotta agree with you here. There's no such thing as a responsible speeder.
    We never forced, or advocated forcing anyone into the hard shoulder. Its just a decent thing to do to pull over WHERE SAFE TO DO SO if you are driving slower then conditions permit.
    Gotta agree with you here too - I know Ive never been forced into the hard shoulder. Of course, 'conditions permit' includes the stated speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Sandwich wrote: »
    Gotta agree with you here. There's no such thing as a responsible speeder.

:rolleyes:
    Sandwich wrote: »
    Gotta agree with you here too - I know Ive never been forced into the hard shoulder. Of course, 'conditions permit' includes the stated speed limit.

oh of course, the infallible speed limit written by the gods themselves :rolleyes:

D_murph wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

oh of course, the infallible speed limit written by the gods themselves :rolleyes:

A D Murph, shar don't you know that all people going even 1kph hour over the limit are the devil themselves in the eyes of Sandwich and co. :rolleyes::D They simply cannot see the infallibility of the law and the speed limits themselves, that safe driving often means you can exceed the limit SAFELY and that a blanket 100 or 80kph limit across many roads is never going to dictate the highest possible safe reasonable speed for conditions, driver experience and vehicle type. What really perplexes me is that this guy really believes that anyone under the limit is responsible on the road, yet those over it are automatically not?!:confused:

In my opinion a well trained driver is the best person to select the "speed limit" for themselves on most roads. I make no apology for that and never will. Speed has many factors to be taken into account. Of course I'm wasting my time arguing with clowns like Sandwich and Cyclopath that come onto the motors forum not to discuss cars, but to just piss people off with their poorly informed and poorly researched opinions. They should go off to the knitting forum and play with each other while they talk about how disgraceful all speeders are.:rolleyes: If speed was so bad all Zee Germans would be dead. :)

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well I hope they show the clip on Crime Call in April and catch the muppet. It was the worst if not the most dangerous piece of driving I have seen in a long time on a secondary road. The list of offences I'd say is endless even with the footage. 6 months in the joy might soften his cough. He didn't give two ****s about any other road user on that stretch of road. He obviously holds his own and his cameraman's life in low regard.

Time and time again muppets like this one give Gaybo and every other safe driving merchant the ammo to stick it to young drivers in this country.

Think a jail sentence for speeding is far too harsh. When burglars and even rapists don't get custodial sentences putting a speeding driver in jail would just sum up where the judiciary's priorities lie. If thats the most dangerous driving you've seen you have'nt been on the road long, I've seen dangerous overtaking, drivers braking for no reason, people pulling out in front of me without looking or indicating etc etc all in the last couple of months. This guy did'nt hurt anyone. Though I agree, uncle gaybo will have a field day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Think a jail sentence for speeding is far too harsh. When burglars and even rapists don't get custodial sentences putting a speeding driver in jail would just sum up where the judiciary's priorities lie.
    So your a Judge now as well as a driving expert. You being a Judge should know that we have a fair and reputable judicial system. Burglars and the rest of them go throught the judical process just like everyone is entitled to. Anyway this is a motors board not a legal board.
    If thats the most dangerous driving you've seen you have'nt been on the road long, I've seen dangerous overtaking, drivers braking for no reason, people pulling out in front of me without looking or indicating etc etc all in the last couple of months.

Two things... I was probably driving while you were still in liquid form in your fathers trousers.
    Second thing add speeding wrecklessly driving without due care and attention to other road users to your list of what you've seen in the last couple of months. With the amount of times you've defended this muppet I'm begining to wonder if you know this wreckless driver:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Not an expert on accents from that part, but they didn't sound like they were from Donegal to me. Sounded more like they were from the eastern half of Ulster (ie NI)?

Anyone else?

bbability wrote: »
    So your a Judge now as well as a driving expert. You being a Judge should know that we have a fair and reputable judicial system. Burglars and the rest of them go throught the judical process just like everyone is entitled to. Anyway this is a motors board not a legal board.

Two things... I was probably driving while you were still in liquid form in your fathers trousers.
    Second thing add speeding wrecklessly driving without due care and attention to other road users to your list of what you've seen in the last couple of months. With the amount of times you've defended this muppet I'm begining to wonder if you know this wreckless driver:o

Never said I was a judge.:rolleyes: But if you believe we have a reputiable judicial system you are living under a rock.

I'm saying a jail sentence is far too harsh for a speeding offense, especially when people breaking into homes and cars only get fines. But whatever, if you'd rather have this guy in jail instead of a scumbag thief, away with you.

I'm not defending the guy, this has turned into another debate about speeding and I'm giving my 2cents. People are calling for him to be flogged and hung and I'm merely trying to put his actions into perspective.

In my opinion a well trained driver is the best person to select the "speed limit" for themselves on most roads.
    ROFL. Wake up.

D_murph, your majestic use of the rolleyes smiley is breathtaking. A true intellect.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

D_murph, your majestic use of the rolleyes smiley is breathtaking. A true intellect.

i see youre easily pleased :D :rolleyes:

the smilies are there for everyone to use as they see fit and im not the only one on here to use them.

a while ago you found that his post wasnt worthy of a response and now you jump on me for that? :confused:

i think youre the one with an intellect problem TBH because you cant make up your mind from one page to the next if thats how you think.

im not defending what this driver did btw, personally i think he must have a death wish of some sort to do that. im not in favour of the regular shooting fish in a barrel BS that goes on where people get done for "speeding" on fine roads with artificially low limits but this is not the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement