Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlocked Power Shower

Options
  • 28-03-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a tank fed power shower that seems to have developed an airlock. I think this is because the water went off in my house a few weeks ago and the shower was used at the same time.
    Has anybody any tips on how to clear this airlock?
    The electrics seem to work work fine and the shower was spluttering for a couple of weeks but now it's completely gone so I'm pretty sure it's an airlock.
    Thanks
    Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I'd probably stop running it straight away until you've solved the airlock problem as a lot of those pumped showers don't like running dry. Hope you haven't done any damage...

If it happens to be a Triton T90 (or similar), there's a bleed screw on the pump that can be opened by hand to get the air out of the pump. Just take off the front cover of the shower (two screws at the top & the knobs if I remember correctly), locate the pump (usually white plastic) and find a little thumb screw that can be opened by hand.

You should have the hose off the shower at this stage or screw off the shower head and let the hose run into the drain. If bleeding the pump gets rid of the air lock, there's a proper commissioning procedure for the shower that should be followed. Basically once the pump has been bled, close the bleed screw, make sure the temperature is set to cold (usually has just 4 settings: cold, I, II & II) and run the shower without the shower head attached.

Vary the flow rates up and down a few times until it seems to be running smoothly. This can take a minute or two. Then set to max flow rate and up the temperature knob to whatever you normally use it at. Check that the water is heating up as normal.

If you don't have a Triton shower, then I guess this info is probably useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

it might be worth cleaning the filter also if the tank ran dry,after you take off the cover its down on the bottom left,on most models its a circle about 40mm diameter that you can screw out by hand anti-clockwise,
    dont worry about switching off the supply valve when taking it out either as its spring loaded and shuts its self off when the filters out

again if its not a t90 this is useless info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've got a similar problem, with a Triton T90i.

Tried following MickLimk's instructions above, but I'v been unable to find the thumb screw for bleeding the shower.

I've included a pic of what I've got, any help welcome as to where I should be looking for the bleed screw.

Thanks

shower1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

had a similar problem a year ago.

take the garden hose up into the attic.

stick your arm down into the tank, and get someone to turn on the hose in full.

stick the hose into each outlet from the tank in turn and you should force the water through using the pressure of the hose.

get your assistant to turn off the hose and come down from the attic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't do what johnboy says ,it will blow the seals in the shower!!

The bleedscrew should be just under the motor of the shower ,to the right . its about 10mm in size.

Try and locate the 1/2 pipe in the attic that feeds the shower ,anywhere the pipe rises and falls try and put something on top of it to keep it down. If you manage to keep the pipe down and vent the shower ,the air should go back up into the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

maybe its the way you took the photo but the neutral cable lookes burned & there appears to be a lot of carbon deposit inside the shower which leads me to believe that the motor or motor brushes may be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

311 wrote: »
    Don't do what johnboy says ,it will blow the seals in the shower!!

The bleedscrew should be just under the motor of the shower ,to the right . its about 10mm in size.

Thanks, I'll have a hunt around again, see can I see it.
    bertie1 wrote: »
    maybe its the way you took the photo but the neutral cable lookes burned & there appears to be a lot of carbon deposit inside the shower which leads me to believe that the motor or motor brushes may be in trouble

Don't think the cable is burned, think it's just some carbon deposit on it - but there is a lot of that around, especially on the inside of the cover.

Advertisement