Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new fly rod.

Options
  • 28-03-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭

hi guys, i need a new fly rod for a nearby lake for rainbow trout fishing,

i'm looking at an 11ft 7/8wt rod, is this too heavy for trout fishing or is it ok?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

bank or boat (or both!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lysterja

Personally, I use a 9ft 6wt from the bank, and use 10ft 6in 7wt from boat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

lysterja wrote: »
    Personally, I use a 9ft 6wt from the bank, and use 10ft 6in 7wt from boat.

Ditto. 9' is enough for bank fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lysterja

Well for me, yes, I've always used a 9ft. I like to try and use the lightest outfit I can get away with. It is most likely that the lake I fish most is only 6 acres in size with 3 islands down the middle, so required casting distance max is about 25-30 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I need it for casting over a hill, with my 9ft I keep catching the grass, even sometimes with my 10ft, I'd say 11ft should clear it no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

you could use an eleven footer for what your trying to achieve and you may find that you get used to it ok(over the years i've used some stump of yokes for rods!)but dont forget that the bigger rod will have a much different action, thats to say when loaded with a small amount of line it behaves kind of erratic and only balances out when loaded with line, which could still cause snagging problems also bit of a beast to cut the air with for any length of time.
    personally i would'nt go above 10' on the bank but thats just an opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The line does not have to go behind you.
    you do not have to buy a new rod.

Learn to roll cast.

I know how to roll/spey cast but it just doesn't get enough line out for me.

Would a shooting head with short back cast and super loooooooong forward shoot help in the situation you face?

Steeple casting works, but it usually ends up with a line slapping down hard on the water out in front at least once, if you blink, and some fish won't tolerate much of that.

actually now that you mention it, a shooting head sure would help, must give it a try! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

You may already know this but if you got a DT line you already got 2 perfectly good s heads.

Always takes a moment of bravery and confidence to cut the one into two, eh? :-)

Advertisement