Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP/MySQL Reporting Engine/Reports Organiser?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, another silly one.

I have a subset of users who look for particular reports from a database at regular intervals. When I initially did them, I never thought I'd be getting requests for the same report every couple of months. So I never saved the queries. :( Lesson learned.

But I though that what would be useful would be some kind of reports database - I store the query in the database, then the engine just goes and gets the query, runs it against the database, and dumps the contents out in nice HTML format (or maybe the option of a number of formats). Something a bit like phpMySQLAdmin, but with less bells and whistles :D

That way I can write the query, add it to the reports database and just send the user a link to a webpage so they can run and rerun it to their hearts' content.

I could write it myself, but someone has to have used something similar, right?

If I wrote it, would anyone else be interested? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

just be sure you are not letting users run adhocs queries against the live database.

you should really analysis what they want and look at creating a report database or maybe even give them a pivot tabe

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Hi,

I'm actually looking for a similar solution, I have stored adhoc reports which my client would like to be able to chose to return certain fields from and then analyse, they're spit out as csv's at the moment and a bit inelegant. I've looked at Pentaho suite, which while 'comprehensive' (read made up of loads of components) as a platform is a bit flaky and once up and running couldn't handle the types of complex queries required. The concept is what I'm aiming for maybe there's an alternative.. any suggestions?

Other thing I looked at was PHP Report Maker http://www.hkvstore.com/phpreportmaker/ but it didn't like very complex queries either... and was a bit basic, might suit Seamus though.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That reportmaker looks decent. Only issue I have is that when you create a new report, it creates a new PHP file. Could become a bit of a nightmare to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I've just done something like this (on a small scale) using Access, linked tables and the reporting tools in Access. You can make forms to provide an interface which will give just as much access as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Sorry - bit of a blast from the past but though I'd let you know the solution we came up for the reporting/data analysis for MySql issue.

We migrated the DB to Oracle XE (free) and used Oracle BI suite of tools to interface with the data. The data isn't live, gets updated weekly, - or when he wants it, but he's happy with the Oracle BI tools. And they're leagues ahead of much else that's out there for 'nought'.

Useful links:
    Link 1
    ink 2

Hope this helps someone,

lph

• Advertisement
Advertisement