Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil Protest and University Run to Dublin

• 28-03-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

A relay run between Waterford and Dublin, via Kilkenny city and Carlow town, has been organised from this Monday 31st March till Wednesday the 2nd of April by Friends of the University for the South East (FUSE) (http://www.se4u.org/) to raise awareness and campaign for a university for the South East region. It will consist of 22 legs of roughly 8km segments.

The run will begin at the Clock Tower on the Quay in Waterford city at 10am on Monday, will go along the N9/N10 to Kilkenny city, reaching the city sometime in the late afternoon. On Tuesday the race will proceed along the N10/N9 towards Dublin, passing through Carlow town around mid-morning. After Carlow the race will take the N81 to Dublin.

The final legs of the race will be run on Wednesday morning, and it will finish outside the Dáil on Kildare st, Dublin at 2pm. At that point there will be a rally and the relay baton will be handed over to senior government figures along with a letter and petition.

The people of the South East will have their chance to show their support in Dublin between 1.30pm and 2.30pm. There will also be some entertainment at the event involving artists and entertainers from the region, as well as light refreshments.

Buses have been organised to ferry people to the main event outside Leinster House. They will leave Parnell st. in Waterford city at 9am. Bus times for Carlow and possibly Kilkenny will be announced in due course.

A university in the South East will benefit all of us, so please try your best to come along and show your support, and encourage others to do the same. The race will be covered by Beat 102/103 and on the se4u.org website.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv deleted all your duplicate topics across the South East Forums about this, as I think one is enough.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    Iv deleted all your duplicate topics across the South East Forums about this, as I think one is enough.

Thanks.

I expected as much, but one topic is not enough considering that I'd say the post is now reaching about 40% of the south east posters because of it. This thread has as much relevance to Tipperary or Wexford as has to Waterford city.

Still, not your problem I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 gravity1036

merlante wrote: »
    I expected as much, but one topic is not enough considering that I'd say the post is now reaching about 40% of the south east posters because of it. This thread has as much relevance to Tipperary or Wexford as has to Waterford city.

Still, not your problem I guess.

Agreed, I'm only new here but the setup of seemingly not being able to talk to multiple focus groups about a common problem is pretty much like a clandestine organisation where only people who know people get to find out anything. What ever happened to free speech? As merlante says the message has just failed to reach possibly 60% of the intended and interested audience. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv sent you a PM addresssing your concerns. Lets not kill the topic before it has a chance to even start!

Agreed, I'm only new here but the setup of seemingly not being able to talk to multiple focus groups about a common problem is pretty much like a clandestine organisation where only people who know people get to find out anything. What ever happened to free speech? As merlante says the message has just failed to reach possibly 60% of the intended and interested audience. :(

Feel free to address the matter in the Feedback forum.

BeatFM will publish notices about the run anyway, so id say you have not missed the intended (and possibly interested) auidence :)

Any other off-topic posts will be removed from this point, there is no need to kill the topic before it even has a chance to start! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Please be aware that I normally site ban people who spam this site.
    As you are a long time member, I did not do so this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A relay run between Waterford and Dublin, via Kilkenny city and Carlow town, has been organised from this Monday 31st March

city??? i think not
    Feel free to address the matter in the Feedback forum.

BeatFM will publish notices about ...

not too many people over the age of about 20 listen to that station. 'its a big pile of cock' would be the reason they'd give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nice constructive post there, longshanks... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

What makes you think they are interested?

longshanks wrote: »
    not too many people over the age of about 20 listen to that station. 'its a big pile of cock' would be the reason they'd give

Not to many people over the age of about 20 post on Boards.ie South East Regional section either. ;)

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Nice constructive post there, longshanks... :rolleyes:

constructive??? i think not???

sully, you're saying everyone posting on the southeast forum is under 20????
    cop on to yourself would ya.

sully, you're saying everyone posting on the southeast forum is under 20????
    cop on to yourself would ya.

Nope. My point is that Beat will hit more people over 20 (or under) then Boards.ie South East Regional Forums will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

city??? i think not
    A Royal Charter in 1609 and Section 10(7) of the Local Government Act 2001 says it is.

Please lets not get into the city debate, PLEASE. For all our sakes. :cry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

FYI, I know a hell of a lot more people over the age of 20 that post on Boards.ie than I do who listen to Beat!!

Bards: Im not talking about Boards.ie specificly. Im talking about the regional forum for the South East which is extremely quiet. Its nothing compared to the Waterford City forum. At this stage - Beat will gain more advertising for the South East then the Boards.ie Regional Forum will (unless you took out banner adverts, or did a forum announcment which was not requested).

So, I dont see any loss. :)

and if you dont see it, apparently, it isnt there

and if you dont see it, apparently, it isnt there

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

The run entered Dublin today and will end outside the Dáil at approx. 2.15pm tomorrow, if anyone can be there to support the runners and the extremely important issue they are representing, please be there to cheer on the final runner. Our entire region needs this university! :)

Some WIT Students will already be in Dublin in the WIT University Application Demo. Apparently we will on Grafton St. however ill pass your message onto the lads and see what we can do about getting over to you.

• Advertisement

Some WIT Students will already be in Dublin in the WIT University Application Demo. Apparently we will on Grafton St. however ill pass your message onto the lads and see what we can do about getting over to you.

That'd be great if ye could Sully, the more publicity for this the better, then the Government can't ignore WITs application anymore! I can't be there myself, but there will be other FUSE members and as well as other people there to show their support. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Unfortunatley I think this will be overshadowed by An Taoiseach's resignation which was announced today - pity!

Bards wrote: »
    Unfortunatley I think this will be overshadowed by An Taoiseach's resignation which was announced today - pity!

Yeah funny that! About time he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

To put it mildy. Ah well. We'll get there in the end.

ec18 wrote: »
    What makes you think they are interested?

The same thing that makes Fianna Fail, and other political parties, think that their "public service announcements" on national TV that we pay licence fees for are of interest to the entire country. At least this topic was posted in a regional context and aimed at people that should be interested in the development of their region. That's why they should be interested, if you're not then why bother replying or are you just out to rise me?

If I was paranoid I'd say the blighter did it to spite us but we all know that the real reason was to cover the media so that nobody saw Bev Cooper coming back in the backdoor to FF. :eek:

If I was paranoid I'd say the blighter did it to spite us but we all know that the real reason was to cover the media so that nobody saw Bev Cooper coming back in the backdoor to FF. :eek:

I thought that myself.

I spoke in person with some of the press and a lot didnt care what we had to say. Mainly cause of Bertie, but also because there are protests there everyday of the week (apparently).

I think TV3 and Beat were the only ones who did coverage. I emailed RTE and asked for an explanation but no response yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

The same thing that makes Fianna Fail, and other political parties, think that their "public service announcements" on national TV that we pay licence fees for are of interest to the entire country. At least this topic was posted in a regional context and aimed at people that should be interested in the development of their region. That's why they should be interested, if you're not then why bother replying or are you just out to rise me?
    If I wanted to get a rise out of you i could do a lot better than that. WIT students aren't interested, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are and fair play to them for having such an interest...but the impression that I get from you is that you maybe a bit overbearing and almost shove the interest down people throat. If I am wrong than ok....I have no problem apologising

ec18 wrote: »
    If I wanted to get a rise out of you i could do a lot better than that. WIT students aren't interested, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are and fair play to them for having such an interest...but the impression that I get from you is that you maybe a bit overbearing and almost shove the interest down people throat. If I am wrong than ok....I have no problem apologising

Apology accepted.

The feeling I'm getting from your response is that you have spoken to every single student in WIT. I have no problem apologising either if you have but my guess is that you don't have a clue what every student of WIT is thinking nor do you represent them. Read the petition on se4u.org and you'll see plenty of current and past WIT students have signed it.

Your question to me was what made me think that people where interested? There was no specifier for WIT students in that question, it was an open-ended and generic asking. I responded with the context and reason that people should be interested because it affects their region's development and hence future. My only interest is to make sure that people know what this means that it's not just an educational facility but a catalyst for the entire region's rejuvenation. I'd be a very sad and sorry individual if I wasn't out there shouting that from the tree tops but rather leaving the message to detractors to broadcast.

• Advertisement

The feeling I'm getting from your response is that you have spoken to every single student in WIT. I have no problem apologising either if you have but my guess is that you don't have a clue what every student of WIT is thinking nor do you represent them.

With that comment, I assume you spoke with every student in WIT about this? Funny, I never spotted the question posed to me or any of my year (or the year before me or after me).
    Read the petition on se4u.org and you'll see plenty of current and past WIT students have signed it.

How can you be so sure that they are all current WIT Students? I havent looked, but I recall someone working out in the TSSG spotting a lot of WIT / TSSG Staff on that list.

I never, nor did ec18, state that every student in WIT is against it. However, there seems to be a large number of people who ARE against it.

Advertisement