Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Duff

• 28-03-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Apparently he will be on his way out of newcastle in the summer..not exactly a shock move really think hes lucky tbh as he needs a new club his career has been fading fast since he moved to newcastle.but what has happend to a player that was once rated so highly chelsea forked out over 16million pounds for him??he seems to have lost his pace and trickery,or is this down to lack of match practise?i know he was out injured for a long time but he wasnt exactly lighting up the headlines before then.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mourinho coached all the football out of him. He went from one of the most exciting and dynamic attacking winger's in the Premiership to a defensive midfielder, who more often than not was almost playing as a fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Off to Sunderland with him so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

He's a sorry sight alright. As a Newcastle fans he was one of our more recent buys that I had high hopes for, but injuries, Mourhino, and possibly laziness, seem to have taken their toll on Duffer.

The only thing though is, I imagine Duff still regards himself as a player who should be playing with a big club (cue someone to have a pop at Newcastle) but I don't see who would be willing to take a punt on him apart from a Boro or Wigan. Maybe Newcastle Jr. (West Ham) would take him.

But as things stand, I don't think he has a future at St. James. He can't even get into the present squad, let alone the one that will be built in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

id say its pretty much a banker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's finished, injuries & laziness don't mix well with tricky wingers.

Prove me wrong Duffer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Wouldn't be surprised to see Borough cash in on Downing and take Duffer on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've liked Duffer ever since he won a bet for me at QPR once. The £16m Chelsea paid was well over the top, but he is a class player who I would love to see at Fratton Park.

I fail to see why everyone is surprised that he left a big club, went to Newcastle and his career went down the pan, it's not like it's the first player that's happened to.

He needs his Mojo rekindled and I'm sure he can get back to somewhere near his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

With Kewell most likely replacing him at Newcastle.

It's a shame to see where they were and could have gone to where they are now, almost has beens in a short space of time. You look at someone like Giggs who has gone from being a top of the pile winger to still being up near the top of the pile as his biological clock ticked on.

I suppose Duffers and Kewell have had bad injuries whereas Giggs has only had a couple of niggly ones that required smaller operations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Regarding Giggs - based on performances through a season, he hasn't been a top winger, or near it, in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

but giggs has lived very well of his name for that period of time! taking nothing away from the man, he was fantastic in his day and i will miss him when hes gone, as soon as he gets the app record that should be it though. no more carrying dead weight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If Giggs moved to Newcastle or anywhere else for example his career would have also taken a nose dive IMO. Duffer is still good but no longer seems to instill any fear in the opposition when attacking them. Kewell at the Magpies would be a funny one, what that club really really needs is a injury prone player like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Has anybody moving to Newcastle in the last 2-3 years enhanced their career reputation at all?

Seriously, whatever about Duff going backward at Chelsea, surely you can just say he's part of the Newcastle team (ie. soulless and uninspiring - not what you want in a winger).

I think Duff needs a club with heart and Newcastle haven't got it. I'd say if he went anywhere else bar the top 4: Villa, Sunderland, Spurs, Man City, Everton would be my preferences in no particular order, he'd soon recover his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say Blackburn would take him back, and I'd say Ramos would consider him for Spurs if he was cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

West Ham have a habit of buying Newcastle players in recent years so maybe that could be option. Really hope he does stay fit now and regains his form for Irelands sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Duff to Spurs would be likely if they could get him for really cheap, but I think McGeady and Capel would be higher on his left wing targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Maybe Duffer should leave England and look to go to a club on the continent.

Capel to Spurs
    Duff to Sunderland
    McGeady to Everton

for me if these players had premiership moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

He's completely lost it, which is sad when you considered the promise he showed in his early days.

Keane may well be interested in taking a punt on him, but Sunderland's midfield is quite strong, especially on the left side. I think it more likely that he would look to strengthen trhe team in other areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Newcastle drag good players down to their level. Always have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

darkman, I actually do agree.

Emre being another major example.

Luque, Enrique, Boumsong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has anybody moving to Newcastle in the last 2-3 years enhanced their career reputation at all?

Maybe Martins?

Others have "enhanced" their reputations too, but not in a good way :pac:

think Martins could have got a better move tbh

he was a highley rated, very young (supposidly) Nigerian international with great pace playing at Inter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

think Martins could have got a better move tbh

he was a highley rated, very young (supposidly) Nigerian international with great pace playing at Inter

Yeah, he was already fairly well known at Inter.

He hasn't set the world alight at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was always great on pro-evo too.

I would take him at the pool over voronin or even Kuyt, he certainly knows where the goal is and last season was scoring for fun for large portions of the season. Some of the goals were top drawer too.

Was always great on pro-evo too.

I would take him at the pool over voronin or even Kuyt, he certainly knows where the goal is and last season was scoring for fun for large portions of the season. Some of the goals were top drawer too.

News to me. Are you still referring to Pro Ev?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

News to me. Are you still referring to Pro Ev?

lol i think scoring for fun was a little bit of an exageration now anyway!

newcastle are a mercenary club,they really dont have much to offer, besides huge wages

scruff321 wrote: »
    newcastle are a mercenary club,they really dont have much to offer, besides huge wages

As a toon fan it pains me to agree with you. However, I think the exclusion of Duff (and to a lesser extent Smyth) has shown that such a policy my be one of the past.

KK didn't bring anyone in in January because, apart form Woodgate who he couldn't get, everything else left on the shelf were mercenary buys. The squad he built last time he was here was anything but a mercenary one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pretty sure a relegation battle next season wont appeal to many players either tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yeah, he was already fairly well known at Inter.

He hasn't set the world alight at Newcastle.

I bet C Ronaldo wouldn't set the world alight at Newcastle either.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    pretty sure a relegation battle next season wont appeal to many players either tho!

I was wondering when you'd turn up to have your pop after I questioned some of Rafa's transfers.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I bet C Ronaldo wouldn't set the world alight at Newcastle either.

You must have some crystal ball. Gis us a shot.

questioning Rafas transfers? wat are you talking about.

i am simply pointing out that being in the middle of a relegation battle will obviously effect whether or not top players will be attracted to ur club, dont be so sensitive.

questioning Rafas transfers? wat are you talking about.
    Lesson noted. The claws come out when tickety boo is said about the 'Pool.
    Not the Pool. Just Rafa, i love him :o
    i am simply pointing out that being in the middle of a relegation battle will obviously effect whether or not top players will be attracted to ur club, dont be so sensitive.

No sensitivity here son. But I think its a sweeping statement to say that Newcastle will be in a relegation battle next season, just seems like another bandwagon jumper taking a pot shot at Newcastle.

wat i mean is that they are in a relegation battle this year, why would top players wanna be attracted to that!?!

Agent: "Mr Berbatov/Villa/Bentley/Ronaldinho/Silva/Brown/Riise etc etc, Newcastle are interested in purchasing you this summer, how do you fancy a move to the toon?"

Player: "how did they do last year?"

Agent: "Em.....they nearly got relegated and are managed by a manager who up until taking over again at the toon, had been finished in football, and hadnt even watched a match in a number of years!"

Player: "Sign me up!"

see where i'm coming from?

wat i mean is that they are in a relegation battle this year, why would top players wanna be attracted to that!?!

Agent: "Mr Berbatov/Villa/Bentley/Ronaldinho/Silva/Brown/Riise etc etc, Newcastle are interested in purchasing you this summer, how do you fancy a move to the toon?"

Player: "how did they do last year?"

Agent: "Em.....they nearly got relegated and are managed by a manager who up until taking over again at the toon, had been finished in football, and hadnt even watched a match in a number of years!"

Player: "Sign me up!"

see where i'm coming from?

Just to clear one thing up, Keegan hadn't watched a live match in over 3 years, as in he hadn't attended a game. He was mis-quoted, but the press and naysayers jumped all over that one.

I'm realistic, I don't expect us to sign players of such a calibre this summer. But I didn't know that you needed the likes of David Villa or Berba to stave off relegation??? What we will sign though should be enough to help get the rebuilding underway, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Advertisement

he wasnt misquoted, i watched the interview at the time, before he went back to Newcastle and was shocked when he said that.

but your right, rome wasnt built in a day.

he wasnt misquoted, i watched the interview at the time, before he went back to Newcastle and was shocked when he said that.

but your right, rome wasnt built in a day.

I believe when he gave that interview he meant to say what's in this article, but phrased it wrong. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7044692.stm
    He added: "I mean I haven't watched a game of football, I mean live, since my last game at Manchester City and I can't even remember what game that was now."

guess i'm not the only one who has trouble expressing themselves so :)

Advertisement