Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums that quell your murderous rage.

Options
  • 28-03-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Now I don't know about you but I feel like going ballistic on people at least several times a day. I hold it in most times but it's tough. Thing is when I just stick on Graceland by Paul Simon and it seems to get the poison out of my blood and reset the old killometer for another day.

So what other albums are good for slaying that demon within?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll probably get absolutely slated for this, but the albums I always turn to when I see the red mist are "Meteora" and "Hybrid Theory" by Linkin Park. There's something cathartic about listening to the lead guy screaming.

"Fitzcoraldo" by The Frames, "O" by Damien Rice, "Idestructible" by Rancid and pretty much anything by Muse also put me in a much better mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Unforgettable fire by U2 and Mezzanine by Massive Attack are good at supressing those homicidal thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Anything by Simon & Garfunkel.
    Phantom of the Opera OST
    Anything by Tricky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

An Fhile wrote: »
    I'll probably get absolutely slated for this, but the albums I always turn to when I see the red mist are "Meteora" and "Hybrid Theory" by Linkin Park. There's something cathartic about listening to the lead guy screaming.

Hybrid Theory is a quality album, there's no shame in that. For me it's country music, a bitta Neil Young calms me down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Funny you mentioned Graceland OP, I've been humming that this afternoon!

There's tons of music that calms me down, generally I just avoid anything thats too "challenging", depressing or heavy going. Favourites would include:

-Popular classics like Bach or Beethoven's 9th (apart from the Clockwork Orange connection, this must be the most optimistic and unifying work of all time)
    -Some ambient electronic music, eg Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld by the Orb, a fantastic "happy place" soundscape that seems to go on forever, or certain Aphex Twin albums.
    -Classic cheery "oldie" easy-listening folk/rock, stuff like Paul Simon, Dire Straits, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac.
    -Going back to the first music I was ever into, like the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Nirvana etc.
    -Smatterings of easy-going house, jazz, abstract hip-hob, trip-hop, soul/motown...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Mezzanine by Massive Attack for me aswell

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gil scott heron-pieces of a man.
    A man with bigger problems than mine and he's being far more reasonable. After work it goes on in the car. A good antidote to a day explaining yourself for the 20th time to mayo builders who'll still get it wrong.
    Marvin Gaye- What's going on. Tell me about it brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Funny you mentioned Graceland, I've been listening to that a hell of a lot recently and it certainly does have a great calming effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

the sound of jack johnson will calm you down;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An Fhile wrote: »

Actually, I'm with you on this. RATM/RATM for me seems to let the rage get taken over/transferred by someone else. Very therapeutic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Any 80's party compilation! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Any of the gary numan back catalogue, you either love or hate it, and i love it!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Graceland invariably invokes my murderous rage, such schmalzy, contrived "oh see how multicultural I am" garbage! *vomit emoticon*

I like to listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Neil Young to calm me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

[WoW] wrote: »
    the sound of jack johnson will calm you down;)

Not at all. That would piss me off even more.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Brighteyes or Doves.

Advertisement