Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Issues posts

Options
  • 28-03-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

I think the problem is specific to Personal Issues board. The posts I've made in there don't seem to list when I view all my posts. Also on my profile it correctly lists the number of thanked posts. But when I view them, the posts which were thanked in Personal Issues are missing. Is this correct?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Posts in PI are excluded from the search functionality and thus also any functions that rely on that, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

That's only when you're not logged in.

If you're logged in, you should be able to search PI and view your posts there no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're logged in, you should be able to search PI and view your posts there no problem.
    Ah, my bad. I thought they were excluded completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm not strictly searching. Just clicking my name and 'Find more posts by...' - the posts in Personal Issues are missing. Same with Thanked. I know I had a post in PI the other day that was thanked twice and the total number of thanked posts reflects this (5 I think in total). But when I click to view them only 3 posts are listed which were thanked once each. So it's missing the post from PI

Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm not strictly searching. Just clicking my name and 'Find more posts by...' - the posts in Personal Issues are missing. Same with Thanked. I know I had a post in PI the other day that was thanked twice and the total number of thanked posts reflects this (5 I think in total). But when I click to view them only 3 posts are listed which were thanked once each. So it's missing the post from PI

The 'Find more posts by' feature uses the same functionality as search.
    Just had a look at your user profile just there and saw 5 thanks for 4 posts (including the PI ones). You're definitely logged in when you're checking?
    Ah, my bad. I thought they were excluded completely.
    That used to be the case iirc. I think Cult changed things around to make them searchable to registered users.

• Advertisement

The 'Find more posts by' feature uses the same functionality as search.
    Just had a look at your user profile just there and saw 5 thanks for 4 posts (including the PI ones). You're definitely logged in when you're checking?

That used to be the case iirc. I think Cult changed things around to make them searchable to registered users.

Yep definitely logged in. Only shows 3 posts when I click it

Well, I'm not really sure what's going on anymore.

No idea why I'm seeing those posts, when even you can't.

EDIT: Just logged out and could still see them???

Ok, I just logged out and checked both All Posts and Thanked Posts and PI posts show up in both.
    Log back in and still can't see them. Very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Clear cookies and stuff.

See if that changes anything.

Nope, no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ok, I just logged out and checked both All Posts and Thanked Posts and PI posts show up in both.
    Log back in and still can't see them. Very strange
    Works like this for me too. I thought it was supposed to work like this.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Works like this for me too. I thought it was supposed to work like this.

Maybe it does which is why I asked.
    But I don't see the logic in excluding posts when logged in but you can see everything when not logged in. Seems a bit of a contradiction really to have more access when logged out than in

Maybe it does which is why I asked.
    But I don't see the logic in excluding posts when logged in but you can see everything when not logged in. Seems a bit of a contradiction really to have more access when logged out than in
    I thought it was part of the strategy to prevent thanks whoring much like only showing the thanks count in your profile.

I thought it was part of the strategy to prevent thanks whoring much like only showing the thanks count in your profile.

Why only the omission of PI posts then?

Why only the omission of PI posts then?
    We don't do PI for the thanks :pac:

None of this explains why I could see the posts both logged in and logged out.

To be honest I don't think it has anything to do with Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

None of this explains why I could see the posts both logged in and logged out.

To be honest I don't think it has anything to do with Thanks.
    Possibly you can see them when logged in and out because you're a HMod?

Possibly you can see them when logged in and out because you're a HMod?

Yeah, that might be it actually.

Still seems odd that logged out/ unregistered users get to see more than people see when they are registered and logged in.

Seems to be just the PI board cause I just posted on it, there is no Thanks attached to the post, and it doesn't show up when I view all posts.
    But again, as we've said, makes no sense that you can see it when logged out if there is some reason (I can't think why tbh) why they omit PI while logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I'd guess that its just a bug in the system, rather than a deliberately set-up thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember that only a mod or a subscriber could search PI. Registered users couldn't. As for when logged out I thought that they weren't allowed to search it either but that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought CuLT fixed it so that registered users could search it but I guess not. I'm gonna report this and ask for it to be moved to bug fixes. That way CuLT will see it and he can check it from his end.

Cool thanks

Any update on this?

Any update on this?
    I just checked for myself and I can see a post I was thanked for in PI today. Also I can see the PI post in my post history.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Dunno why it's set the way it is, not a bug, could be a policy thing from long ago. Either way, not something I'm going to tamper with.

PI mods might have more insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

CuLT wrote: »
    Dunno why it's set the way it is, not a bug, could be a policy thing from long ago. Either way, not something I'm going to tamper with.

PI mods might have more insight.
    Not sure myself tbh. Just recently people have been saying that this is the case that users can't search posts. Fair enough if that is so but I don't remember that being a feature of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its actually a trend on forums that allow anonymous postings so maybe it was the default setting for that class of forum when we did the last upgrade. It started around then afair.

I just checked for myself and I can see a post I was thanked for in PI today. Also I can see the PI post in my post history.
    Not working for me...it's fairly annoying

Any chance this can be changed? As I said, just very irritating having to log out in order to find a post I made recently in PI (as you tend to lose track of posts and threads due to the high traffic on the boards).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It has always been like this afaik and it's a good idea.
    Considering some of the threads and the nature of them, it helps with privacy and lets the thread drop into oblivion.
    Mr. Anderson, if you can no longer find your post then that probably means it's left the front page and I wouldn't want it being dragged back anyway. So no biggie.

Advertisement