Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it safe to use a US electric currency converter here?

• 28-03-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hope someone can advise me please, I have a friend coming to stay from the US and she wants to know if she can use an electric currency converter for her hair dryer/curling irons ? Don't suggest she borrow mine because I don't use them !

Is it safe for her to use this here on our electricity system ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Currency convertor? Do you mean a voltage convertor? America work off 110volts so the unit won't work in Ireland unless you use a transformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

You need to use a transformer. A good one is about $50, but you can get them on the cheap. Just have your friend make sure that it can handle the hair dryer (some are sold to handle 50 watts, while others are 2000) (hair dryers are usually 1875 watts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    You need to use a transformer. A good one is about $50, but you can get them on the cheap. Just have your friend make sure that it can handle the hair dryer (some are sold to handle 50 watts, while others are 2000) (hair dryers are usually 1875 watts).

It all depends on how much power her hair straigners require... most of the small US converters are about 50w ( as the poster stated above), which would be no where near powerfull enough... 50w would only be enough for small items like a phone charge or something of that nature... BTW a 2000w transformer would be massive probably about one foot cubed, you wouldn't lift it either...

I did fix a pair of Remington straighners and noticed they were dual voltage, which supprised me as they were kinda a cheapy pair, so there's a small chance that her's might be dual voltage also...

Just buy her a cheap pair (<€25) for while she is here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Currency convertor? Do you mean a voltage convertor? America work off 110volts so the unit won't work in Ireland unless you use a transformer.

Yes I think this is what she means, I was just using her words, I'll tell her she can borrow my daughters hairdryer but she'll have to let me know more details about the "transformer" or whatever it is if she wants to bring her own straighteners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

BTW a 2000w transformer would be massive probably about one foot cubed, you wouldn't lift it either...

the high wattage converters are not transformers - they operate similar to a light dimmer - switching our 230V rapidly on and off to give an average power same as that from a 110V supply with a resistive load. They should only be used on heating devices (the instructions would say so) - they would damage electronics.

Some converters have a high/low switch. The low setting (50W) is a transformer and is fine for electronic equipment or anything else up to 50W . The high setting is as above and is for heating devices only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Antenna wrote: »
    the high wattage converters are not transformers - they operate similar to a light dimmer - switching our 230V rapidly on and off to give an average power same as that from a 110V supply with a resistive load. They should only be used on heating devices (the instructions would say so) - they would damage electronics.

Not necessarily. I've a 2500W 230 to 110v transformer at home that I use for equipment brought from the US. It most certainly is a transformer and not a switching supply. It is heavy but not as heavy as DublinDilbert suggested.
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/1983205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

MickLimk wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I've a 2500W 230 to 110v transformer at home that I use for equipment brought from the US. It most certainly is a transformer and not a switching supply. It is heavy but not as heavy as DublinDilbert suggested.
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/1983205

I know, I was talking about the usual type of much more commonly available plug-in converters.

Another difference is the frequency of the mains - 50Hz here, 60Hz there, motors may run slower, and motors and transformers may get warmer than usual due to this difference.

Advertisement