Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certification help !!??

Options
  • 28-03-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Where do i start !?
    I've been working as a Network\Systems Admin since i left college, 10 years ago !
    I've decided to bite the bullet and get myself some certification, im 31 now and i'd like to have something beneficial that will future-proof me if i decide to changes jobs\laid off, looking around most jobs now look for some sort of Cisco or Microsoft certification. What is best to do ? I was thinking about an MCSA or maybe a CCNA ?
    I could do a CCNA part-time 3 hours a week for 2 years in a DKIT starting in October, is this maddness ? Maybe between now and October get MCSA ?

Any suggestions ? Help !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

if your a net admin for 10 years i cant see why you would need a course.

Look at IT find what part IT do you enjoy most, what interests you about it what part would you like to know more about even if you were not being paid to do it.

Once you find which part this is then follow the path for that buy some books and start reading unless work is going to pay for the course there's no real need most of the courses are badly run a teacher reading to you the same book you can purchase and charging you 2k for the pleasure.

Find out what you like and follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

ntlbell wrote: »
    if your a net admin for 10 years i cant see why you would need a course.

Look at IT find what part IT do you enjoy most, what interests you about it what part would you like to know more about even if you were not being paid to do it.

Once you find which part this is then follow the path for that buy some books and start reading unless work is going to pay for the course there's no real need most of the courses are badly run a teacher reading to you the same book you can purchase and charging you 2k for the pleasure.

Find out what you like and follow it.

Does that mean u could just buy all the books for whatever IT courses u want to do, study the books then go on and do the exams and get certified the cheap way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Zorba wrote: »
    Does that mean u could just buy all the books for whatever IT courses u want to do, study the books then go on and do the exams and get certified the cheap way ?

Exactly.

I much prefer studying for certs myself and its a helluva lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Get certified in what you work with to begin, you will find the exams easier and you will benefit daily from what you learn along the way.

You have been working in IT for 10 years, doing what?
    What interests you?

Sorry just reread Ntbells post, ditto here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

accensi0n wrote: »
    Exactly.

I much prefer studying for certs myself and its a helluva lot cheaper too.

Thanks for the info. at the moment work is paying for my courses, providing i pass the exams obviously but if it ever comes a time when they won't pay i now know the cheaper way to get certified ;);)

• Advertisement
Advertisement