Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wireless/wired

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

hey all,

i have the eircom 3meg line for last few years, using the old netopia router with one pc connected through the usb and one connected through the ethernet.

we have 2 laptops in the house too and with the new 7.5 meg comin out as a free upgrade i decided to try hook an eircom wireless router up in another room so we could have the wireless connected to the 2 laptops and keep the original setup for the 2 desktops. everything was working grand on the laptops but when i went to use my desktops they couldnt connect to the internet. it seems if the wireless router is off the desktops work, and if the old wired router is off then the wirelss works!

is it possible to achieve what i was trying to do?

I am a bit of a nab when it comes to networking so any help is appreciated.

cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

copeyhagen wrote: »
    hey all,

i have the eircom 3meg line for last few years, using the old netopia router with one pc connected through the usb and one connected through the ethernet.

we have 2 laptops in the house too and with the new 7.5 meg comin out as a free upgrade i decided to try hook an eircom wireless router up in another room so we could have the wireless connected to the 2 laptops and keep the original setup for the 2 desktops. everything was working grand on the laptops but when i went to use my desktops they couldnt connect to the internet. it seems if the wireless router is off the desktops work, and if the old wired router is off then the wirelss works!

is it possible to achieve what i was trying to do?

I am a bit of a nab when it comes to networking so any help is appreciated.

cheers.

You cannot have two modems/routers working simultaneously on the one line.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Put the wireless router where the old one is and hook up those 2 pcs by ethernet cable and you can still use the laptops wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Sorry stupid me just saw the usb part. If you dont have an eth port on one of the pcs you can buy a network card or else get a usb wifi adapter and connect that one by wifi as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dub45 wrote: »
    You cannot have two modems/routers working simultaneously on the one line.

Network Bridge :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for your replies! so whats the craic with the network bridge then? cheers :)

• Advertisement

sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for your replies! so whats the craic with the network bridge then? cheers :)

It is as relevant to your problem as O'Connell bridge:rolleyes:

The answer is that you cannot connect two modems simultaneously to two sockets on the one telephone line.

ah ok. lol

if i was to buy a wireless router could i hook it up to my old modem and still sue ethernet, usb and wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

if i was to buy a wireless router could i hook it up to my old modem and still sue ethernet, usb and wireless?
    Well yes, but you already have a wireless router, don't you? Just connect that in place of the old Netopia wired router, connect both desktops to it via ethernet, and let the laptops connect through WIFI. That's the easiest way.

is the wireless not just a modem? ill have a look when i get home, if the wireless modem replaces my current one and i connect my 2 desktops to the wireless modem via ethernet will i still get my 3mb dl speed

is the wireless not just a modem? ill have a look when i get home, if the wireless modem replaces my current one and i connect my 2 desktops to the wireless modem via ethernet will i still get my 3mb dl speed

Stop asking questions and do what your are told:) That will solve your problem.

• Advertisement

hahaha yes sir, sorry for askin ;)

worked anyway.. havent had a chance to check the dl speeds yet but ill let you know.

if only i could find the eircom cd to set up the pc that was hooked up usin the usb so i could set it up with the ethernet.

You don't need the cd. Simply plugging the ethernet cable in should be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You don't need a CD or anything to connect a computer to a router through Ethernet. Under normal circumstances it should just *work* when you connect it. If it doesn't, try the Network Setup Wizard (assuming you're using XP).

Advertisement