Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove your nipple rings Ma'am!

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

This story seems very bizarre! I've heard of the TSA doing some silly things but this is way OTT? As a matter of interest, surely most piercings these days would be airport scanner friendly, wouldn't they?

See here
    Yahoo News wrote:
    LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A woman who was forced to remove her nipple rings with pliers before boarding a flight in Texas, demanded an apology Thursday and said she wants the government to investigate the incident.

"It was just total humiliation in front of people I had no earthly idea who they were," Mandi Hamlin, a 37-year-old graphic artist from Dallas, told reporters at her lawyer's office in Los Angeles.

Hamlin's attorney, Gloria Allred, said the woman "was given a pair of pliers in order to remove the rings in her nipples ... The rings had been in her nipples for many years."

Hamlin said she wanted a public apology and for the Transportation Security Administration to investigate the incident, which happened in February as she was boarding a flight from Lubbock, Texas, to Dallas.

TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird said he was unaware of the nipple ring incident.

"I'd be really curious to know what this woman had in her nipples," he said, adding that he had "never heard of any of our people having anyone remove something that sounds as small as a nipple ring."

Allred said the TSA's measure was "cruel and unnecessary."

"The last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They generally would not be picked up by the metal detectors, and if they were, I can't see the person being made remove their piercing. I'd say that she just got someone particularly anal and caught them on a bad day...

First time through the metal detectors after getting my piercing, with all my family behind me was nerve racking though... try explaining to them why the wand thing started beeping over your crotch... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

its on modblog also.
    i went through LAX with all my piercings in, didnt buzz and the hand wand wasnt used either. its just a bit mad over there regarding security. quite intimidating for the average passenger

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Thats just BS. Thousands of pierced people travel around without setting off a buzzer - that security man was just an idiot! Best of luck to any man who tries to take my sternum piercing out with a pliers!!

Advertisement