Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right...

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

I'm lookin for a bike :)

I need something for the W200, and I also intend to do a lot of longer distance events in the next few years (Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburgh-London etc), as well as a load of 200's, 400's etc.

What would be the best bike to get for around a grand (not including pedals, shoes etc -I have them covered). Should I get a steel frame? carbon? a good aluminum one?

So far, I keep flitting between the following:
    Focus Variado Expert -full Ultegra, seems a nice bike
    Specialized Allez Elite -has Tiagra up front, but a 105 Derailleur and the Specialized name's a good 'un
    Trek 1.7 -seems a nice bike, but previous posts on here say it's a step down from last years? It has a mix of 105 and Ultegra on it.

I'm also looking at planet-x, and they have the steel framed Kaffenback, which I could get with full 105, or possibly their Superlight Team bike, but I don't really know much about them.

Weight isn't too much of a concern for me if I'm honest, as there's far more extra kilos on me than there will on any bike I buy, but I don't fancy a tank -something lighter or equal in weight to my Kona Paddy Wagon would be grand.

So, hit me with suggestions, tell me I'm mad, whatever.. I'm not in a huge rush, so would like to get a fair few opinions before I buy

Ta folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'd get a Canyon Roadlite 5.0 for a grand also. Full Ultegra, Mavic Aksiums and a Ritchey carbon fork. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

For what you want it for I would definitely recommend steel. In my biased opinion, Surly do a good range of frames, I picked up the Cross Check but I was also looking at the Pacer and the Long Haul Trucker. If weight is no concern, then you can save alot of money by going the steel route. Compared to aluminium, steel gives a very smooth and sturdy ride and certainly absorbs the bumps alot better.

Are you looking to assemble this bike yourself or buy it pre-assembled?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

To be honest, it's down to personal preference. Generally speaking, a 1000e bike is a 1000e bike no matter what the make. Test ride whatever you can and pick the one you like the best. You'll probably love whatever you buy. In the end, it's the rider that matters.

For what it's worth, I have a 2006 Allez elite and it has done me well. It cost me 1500 new and it is slightly better spec'd than what you linked. My younger bro bought the one you linked to this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Well I got the Variado Expert last summer, from my limited knowledge it seems to have been a fantastic buy. Not a single problem with it so far except a blow out in the front tyre. Stiff, light, smooth shifting and looks sweet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I think, for the money they're asking, the spec on the Spec isn't good enough. They're really riding on a name there. That Canyon looks fantastic for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You're picking a good time to buy from the UK - Euro is at an all time high against the pound. That Variado comes in at 1012 euro

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

fish-head wrote: »
    That Canyon looks fantastic for the money.

I'm thinking of buying that frame myself for a bike I'm building up for the missus.
    kenmc wrote: »
    You're picking a good time to buy from the UK - Euro is at an all time high against the pound.

Talk to me about it. I've been spending like a drunken sailor on bike stuff from the UK. I've managed to convince myself that the more I spend, the more I save.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The canyon does indeed look very very sweet... maybe a little too sweet :)

As an aside, it comes with a 105 rear cassette... is there much (any?) difference between that and an ultegra casette?

I should have guessed it would be a 'whatever you prefer' type answer... that being the case, what's your fave one grand bike? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I should have guessed it would be a 'whatever you prefer' type answer... that being the case, what's your fave one grand bike? :)

Of the 4 linked, I like the Focus or Canyon the best, maybe going for the Canyon based on looks. Spesh and Trek are too common for me. That said the Trek looks sweet. Yes, I know, I own a Spesh!

All seem to be compacts (triple option on the Trek), that what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, that Canyon is pretty amazing all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Of the 4 linked, I like the Focus or Canyon the best, maybe going for the Canyon based on looks. Spesh and Trek are too common for me. That said the Trek looks sweet. Yes, I know, I own a Spesh!

All seem to be compacts (triple option on the Trek), that what you want?

Canyon can have a triple added as an option, personally I'm not too fussed on a compact double or a triple

The trek does indeed look sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I have the Trek 1.7, no major problems with it. Although I did have to get a new chain after 2,000km:(.
    It looks like you want to do distance events rather than racing events, so you should consider a high front stem and shorter top tube. This will give a more upright position may make these events easier on the back.
    Personally I would go for a triple over a compact, weight diff is nothing major.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm on a Variado Expert also. Nice bike.

Advertisement