Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ballincollig town Bus Service in 2009

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Bus Eireann have announced their capital spending programme for the next couple of years which includes an investment in new buses both for replacement and expansion of the fleet in Cork

I also noticed the following
    A New Town Service for Ballincollig
    In addition a new town service (Route 229) is planned for Ballincollig, earmarked for introduction in 2009. The service will operate between the growing number of housing estates in the residential areas of Ballincollig and Ballincollig Town Centre, where customers can link with a high frequency service to Cork.

I cannot understand how this is going to work. The existing Ballincollig-Cork route runs from Classis Lake in Ovens on the outskirts of the town right through the town which consists of housing estates built on both sides of a 4-5 km road. I don't see the need for a service bringing people from the estates to Ballincollig Town Centre.
    What is required is a high frequency service linking Ballincollig to Cork via the Carrigrohane Straight. The current service follows a circuitous route taking in the rush hour traffic bottlenecks of Model Farm Road, Dennehys Cross and Wilton Road. Meanwhile the new Green Route on the Carrigrohane Straight lies underused except for the occasional expressway bus to Macroom and Kerry. Rerouting this service alone would save at least a third of the journey time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

thejuggler wrote: »
    Bus Eireann have announced their capital spending programme for the next couple of years which includes an investment in new buses both for replacement and expansion of the fleet in Cork

I also noticed the following

I cannot understand how this is going to work. The existing Ballincollig-Cork route runs from Classis Lake in Ovens on the outskirts of the town right through the town which consists of housing estates built on both sides of a 4-5 km road. I don't see the need for a service bringing people from the estates to Ballincollig Town Centre.
    What is required is a high frequency service linking Ballincollig to Cork via the Carrigrohane Straight. The current service follows a circuitous route taking in the rush hour traffic bottlenecks of Model Farm Road, Dennehys Cross and Wilton Road. Meanwhile the new Green Route on the Carrigrohane Straight lies underused except for the occasional expressway bus to Macroom and Kerry. Rerouting this service alone would save at least a third of the journey time.

Ballincollig is a sprawl town, estates here there and everywhere, have buses servicing the different estates via the town centre (the shopping centre i guess) and then changeover to Cork bus, it means more people will have a bus closer to them, this is a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

What they should do is go out the Kilumney Road as far as EMC and hook back in along via Classis Lake and the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

So we'e almost at the end of 2010 and surprise suprise no Ballincollig town bus service although the green route is nearly finished. Ironically the green/ff government is nearly finished too.

Advertisement