Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backhaul

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi im new to the boards and looking for some advice,

We have planned and started a wireless network to take broadband out in to the countryside around town for people that cant get dsl.

I have spent weeks on the phone and google looking for a backhaul provider for the internet connection but still no joy.

I have phoned eircom several times and explained what we need but just keep getting sent round in circles. We are in a remote part of mayo so esb fibre etc is out of the question.

Does anyone know of a dsl solution we can resell or an alternative backhaul?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Where's the town - DSL isn't really a viable backhaul solution

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

DSL will only handle around 100 users, less if you are using old ADSL1 as with most Eircom exchanges. So even SDSL is no solution.

It's not the bandwidth that is the problem, but the sessions that the gear can handle.

Where are you located ? For backhaul you should be looking at leased line, wireless uncontended or minimally contended service or fiber.

/Martin

North Co. Mayo, you might want to talk to Westnet, south Co. Mayo you can talk to us (Airwire).

Both business are already dealing with GBS and other wireless groups.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 airodump

Martin cheers.

We are not a group bb scheme just doing it ourselfs. Dsl would work for now if I could find a service we can resell without violating the t&c.

Dsl will do as we only have a few people interested at the mo.

Ive been trying to find out about a leased line from eircom but no one can give me an answer when i tell them what we want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

airodump wrote: »
    Martin cheers.

We are not a group bb scheme just doing it ourselfs. Dsl would work for now if I could find a service we can resell without violating the t&c.

Dsl will do as we only have a few people interested at the mo.

Ive been trying to find out about a leased line from eircom but no one can give me an answer when i tell them what we want it for.

Magnet will allow you to resell their dsl provided you go for the top package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm interested in this for rural broadband in Longford. I had a list of over 70 names of people out my direction (just past Longford town) who'd love for a wireless broadband option, even managed to get it into the local papers - ISP of choice at the time was ICE broadband but they abandoned ship because of their problems elsewhere and left us in the lurch.

If I had a bit more of know-how I might consider setting it up myself or working with a company to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

@Touchingvirus : http://sccbroadband.org are maybe some bit like what you want to do ?

I'm interested in this for rural broadband in Longford. I had a list of over 70 names of people out my direction (just past Longford town) who'd love for a wireless broadband option, even managed to get it into the local papers - ISP of choice at the time was ICE broadband but they abandoned ship because of their problems elsewhere and left us in the lurch.

If I had a bit more of know-how I might consider setting it up myself or working with a company to do it :)

We're working on getting into Longford. Timeframe is about 3 months and roll-out will start around Lanesboro.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL can be backhaul, but not the Retail variety. Some 3G masts may use it. But not Bitstream :)

bushy... wrote: »
    @Touchingvirus : http://sccbroadband.org are maybe some bit like what you want to do ?

Yeah, that sort of thing - Bounce Broadband came out for a look, to no avail.
    Marlow wrote: »
    We're working on getting into Longford. Timeframe is about 3 months and roll-out will start around Lanesboro.

/Martin

That's great news Martin, hopefully you guys make it out my way.

@OP: Apologies if this was a thread hijacking, I still am genuinely interested in the answer to your question. Eircom leased lines are expensive, I used to work in IT for a company and got to see just how much it cost for a 2mb line :D

• Advertisement

Hopefully it's ok to vamp this thread?

I'm still lacking a real broadband service and lost hope throughout the last year. But for some reason I find time on my hands and am wondering if I should start trying to learn how to do this again.

@Marlow: Is there any reason why Airwire never made it to Longford after all?

Does anybody know where I can get information about the Longford MAN?

I know there's a business in Longford that's got a link-up to Smart Telecom on Cairn Hill, is there any way Smart would be interested in FWA from Cairn Hill? It's the highest point in the county :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

We are working on Longford at the moment. Along Lough Ree from Lanesborough powerstation and south of that is covered from Roscommon.

We've recently more concentrated on improving bandwidth and coverage in North Co. Galway and South Mayo.

The reason why Longford hasn't been targeted yet, is that we're waiting to get a licensed link from Ballybaan towards the northeast online and frankly, government and semi-government "institutions" are never working fast.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rathbaner

Westnet are probably your best bet as they've built their own backhaul pipe and cover from Knockmore, Ballina to Kiltimagh. They have a high site at Kiltimagh and can beam bandwidth to other high sites (we used them for a while to service Killala).
    Smart Telecom have lit the Ballina MAN but they probably won't be interested in providing retail services. There's another firm that have a presence on the Sligo side of Killala Bay. Forget eircom - in my experience they will offer you a price guaranteed to make it uneconomic to provide backhaul; BT will give you a price tied to eircom's.

We are working on Longford at the moment. Along Lough Ree from Lanesborough powerstation and south of that is covered from Roscommon.

We've recently more concentrated on improving bandwidth and coverage in North Co. Galway and South Mayo.

The reason why Longford hasn't been targeted yet, is that we're waiting to get a licensed link from Ballybaan towards the northeast online and frankly, government and semi-government "institutions" are never working fast.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

Thanks for getting back to me Martin, I can't say I blame you wanting to improve and consolidate your network before moving further afield.

I remember one of the reasons the previous ISP I approached didn't come was that the costs for mast placement on Cairn Hill were prohibitive. There's not much point in me as an individual trying to ascertain the price, or reasoning behind setting prices so high that it's hampering broadband penetration - it really is the ideal spot for the mid/northern parts of Longford.

The Moydow, Rahara mast wouldn't quite reach me, I'm closer to Ballinalee

rathbaner wrote: »
    Westnet are probably your best bet as they've built their own backhaul pipe and cover from Knockmore, Ballina to Kiltimagh. They have a high site at Kiltimagh and can beam bandwidth to other high sites (we used them for a while to service Killala).
    Smart Telecom have lit the Ballina MAN but they probably won't be interested in providing retail services. There's another firm that have a presence on the Sligo side of Killala Bay. Forget eircom - in my experience they will offer you a price guaranteed to make it uneconomic to provide backhaul; BT will give you a price tied to eircom's.

Westnet are way out to the west there, stopping short of Carrick on Shannon. I suppose if I knew more of what to do I could get on to them :)

I remember one of the reasons the previous ISP I approached didn't come was that the costs for mast placement on Cairn Hill were prohibitive. There's not much point in me as an individual trying to ascertain the price, or reasoning behind setting prices so high that it's hampering broadband penetration - it really is the ideal spot for the mid/northern parts of Longford.

Up to 40 km isn't so much of an issue, if it's to another base, even longer distances are possible. I've been talking with somebody about a spot near Edgeworthtown, that I need to follow up again. That spot would potentially give a lot of coverage west of that, too. Aim was obviously to give Midlans finally a proper backhaul during the event.
    Westnet are way out to the west there, stopping short of Carrick on Shannon. I suppose if I knew more of what to do I could get on to them :)

Westnet is not even nearly as far east as we are, they mostly concentrate on Mayo. Our networks border in Claremorris. So I don't think, that's going to be an option towards Longford for a very long time, if ever.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

I'm about 6 miles west from Edgeworthstown as the crow flies, though I can't see anything from my roof over towards that neck of the woods. I know the Midlans crowd, Martin in particular (went to school with him) and their events out in Streete could certainly do with something proper. Now if I manage to latch onto your network because of your/their efforts then I'll be quite happy to do so, as will the others between here and there who are relying on manners of midband wizardry and Last Mile :)

So fingers crossed then, and thanks for the updates!

I'm about 6 miles west from Edgeworthstown as the crow flies

The spot is fairly high, so chances are good. Again, nothing is finalized, but we're working on it. Rome wasn't build in one day, either.
    I know the Midlans crowd, Martin in particular (went to school with him) and their events out in Streete could certainly do with something proper.

It's on again (midlans that is) end of this month. Martin and Robert have put a lot of effort in, so it should be a fun event, as usual, and I'll be around, as usual for the last 2 years, help ensuring, that the network doesn't die and add a few outdoor activities :)

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

There's always Irish Broadband.
    They're known to do long distance dedicated links for people. Like a leased line replacement solution.

daffy_duc wrote: »
    There's always Irish Broadband.
    They're known to do long distance dedicated links for people. Like a leased line replacement solution.

They've always done that. Comes at a pricetag. Not quite something a residential customer can afford. Not much irish broadband coverage around Longford either, to my knowledge, also it seems that funding for network expansions has been cut.

/M

Advertisement