Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

92 Honda Prelude. Clutch or gearbox prob

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:49pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    Was just out in the above car. I went to change gear and i can't get it in. With brute force i managed to get it into second and get home. Car drives grand when in gear.
    The clutch pedal feels normal. It feels like the clutch is no engaging or something

Whats gone wrong here, any ideas?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Some more information. If i start the car with the clutch pressed i can select gears but the is some noise from the engine. after 1-15 i can no longer engage gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If I owned the car I would change the oil in the gearbox, maybe even twice, and hope that that cured it.

If I didn't own the car but was considering buying, I probably wouldn't just in case it needs a new gearbox.

NEW GEARBOX!!!! :eek:

I hope not. It the fathers car. It's off to the mechanic some day next week.

Did you check the oil level in the gearbox?

When i can't find gear i mean it the lever will move side to side but will not move into the postion 1st, 2nd etc

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Did you check the oil level in the gearbox?

Gearbox oil was changed a year ago.

1) What oil as used? The *only* oil that will work long term is Honda stuff, tho I've heard Redline also works.
    2) What level is the oil in it now.

I would check the level, as I suspect it's low. After that I would drain the oil as I suspect it's not the right stuff, and would fill it with Honda MTF-II.

Honda manual gearboxes are amazingly tough, and problems are usually only caused by no or bad maintenance.

JHMEG wrote: »
    1) What oil as used? The *only* oil that will work long term is Honda stuff, tho I've heard Redline also works.
    2) What level is the oil in it now.

I would check the level, as I suspect it's low. After that I would drain the oil as I suspect it's not the right stuff, and would fill it with Honda MTF-II.

Honda manual gearboxes are amazingly tough, and problems are usually only caused by no or bad maintenance.

Thanks JHMEG,
    I don't know what oil is in it. The car is maintained by a Honda mechanic. So I'd hope the right stuff is in it.
    He'll be looking at it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

very like what happened in mine, turned out to be the clutch master cylinder not saying i know anything about it but sounds the same! not a big job and fairly inexpensive

Clutch replaced, problem solved

• Advertisement
Advertisement