Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying injury free!!!

• 28-03-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have had almost a year long injury nightmare. Got injuried doing the spar mile challenge last july breaking the 6 minute barrier. It turned out that i hurt my sciatic nerve. After a few months out i was getting back and got "runners knee". I am starting to get out for a few pain free runs now and my long term plan is to run the marathon in dublin later in the year (ran it in 2006) but am a bit over weight now. I am taking glucosamine to help the knee along but has anyone any ideas to keep the possibility of an other flare up to a minimum? Any help at all would be great. Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

If you haven't already, go to a physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

mattym wrote: »
    Hi all,
    has anyone any ideas to keep the possibility of an other flare up to a minimum? Any help at all would be great. Thanks

Matt

Run on grass rather than the road or hard surfaces were possible.
    Ice joints after long runs to minimize swelling.

If you are going to a physio make sure they come recommended from a fellow runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Was with a physio for quiet a while but it seems that rest was more help. Doing as much as i can on grass so hopefully i'll be ok. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Weight training & strength work. Working on the muscles that support the knee is a great way to minimise injury and has reallly helped me. Look for some 'runner specific' moves on the various websites but things like single leg squats are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Lila wrote: »
    Weight training & strength work. Working on the muscles that support the knee is a great way to minimise injury and has reallly helped me. Look for some 'runner specific' moves on the various websites but things like single leg squats are great.

Probably correct but doing them wrong could possibly make the matter worse. A good physio will put you on a rehab program with the correct exercises using the correct form and technique.

Also, if there are muscle imbalances causing the injury, strengthening some muscles may create further imbalances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Cold baths after hard sessions are excellent if a bit daunting at first.

Advertisement