Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem: Can't get screen resolution I want

Options
  • 28-03-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

hi

Just got a new Pc and I can't get it run in the resolution I like which is 1360 x 768, it is not available on the list of screen resolutions. I'm using 2 8800 GTS 512 and a samsung syncmaster 225bw. My old pc which used a x850pro was able to run in this res with same monitor. I'm sure this can too I'm probably just doing something wrong.

When I try to change resolutions by right clicking the desktop I have the option of using 1.Samsung Syncmaster on nvidia geforce 8800 or 2. Plug and play Monitor on nvidia geforce 8800 and if I select the latter the 1360 x 768 is available on the list but not if I'm using option 1, if ya get me. I tried selecting option 2 to get that res but that really effed things up and the whole desktop disappeared.

What am I doing wrong here? I am a bit of noob btw;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

damn thought someone might know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Need more info. Did you do a fresh install of the OS or what? Did you remove the old drivers and have you the latest drivers installed. It sounds like the res is not supported, but this could be down to some config you made. If you adjust the refresh rate, like lower it a notch does that allow you to select the res you want?

Yes i have recently just installed the OS. I'm using the latest drivers for both card and monitor.

It's weird, as i said there seems to be two display options for me and one of them offers the 1360 x 768 resolution. But its the default one which is a bit odd.

I have the option to 'Extend windows on to this monitor' but not switch to it. Maybe this ss will shed some light...

picgh1.th.png

That would just be the default monitor, xp uses when it don't know what monitor you got. You should be able to remove it from device manager. If you go into your display properties and to the adapter tab theres a button to 'list all modes', check this to see if it has the res you want.

yes the res is available that way but the weird thing is the ability to list all modes is only there for the Default monitor and not for the syncmaster. you would expect it to be the other way round surely :confused:

• Advertisement

Did you remove the default monitor? then reinstall display drivers.

Yeah it looks like that resolution just isn't supported :(

thanks for the help anyway buddy

One last thing to try is install your monitor driver. I think its the gfx card that won't support that res (1360x768) with your screen, have you tested this on any other screen. Whats wrong with 1680x1050 anyway? :o

p.s. i found a guide on how to create your own custom res, here. Use at own risk.

Advertisement