Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about components

Options
  • 28-03-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to build a machine (my first build from scratch). I have a few questions about some of the components maybe you can help me with....

I plan on using the machine for gaming btw, I can live without the highest framerates and resolution, I want a machine that runs the current crop of games well....I don't intend to overclock any of the hardware. I am ripping most my setup from x_keo21's build posted here

- I was planning an getting a E8400 for the CPU but I am tired waiting for them to come back in stock (overclockers have them but they are charging over the odds) so I was thinking I would get Q6600. Would there be much difference? the other alternative is to go for E8200. Which would you recommend?

- The boxed versions of the CPU have a fan built in, is that sufficient cooling? assuming the graphics card has a fan and the case has a fan.

- Memory: I know nothing about quality of memory but I saw this 4Gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC2-8000 (1000MHz) for €80 delivered....looks good to me but what do you think is it good memory?

- Memory: is Vista 64 bit only OS that can address 4Gb of memory, I read somewhere that Vista (32 bit) can only see about 3.5Gb of memory?

Many thanks
    Scones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any of those CPU's are more then adequate for the latest games at stock speeds - and the stock coolers are good up to several hundred mhz over clock at least. The 8200 and 8400 would be better then a Q6600 for solely gaming at the moment, though if you're a multi-tasker and use applications that support multi-core outside of games, the Q6600 is a good investment. You will need a 64-bit OS to see a full 4gb of ram, though at that price, no harm getting that ram with a 32-bit OS as you'll see most of it anyway. The ram is good quality stuff and a good price.

Advertisement