Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda arrest 12 Romanian's for ATM fraud.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I am irish and i have two Romanian friends they are grand decent people who work hard and make a good effort to get along like the rest of us. Unfortunatly though, my friend was one of these people robbed at a cashpoint on O'Connell St. The Romanian Man had used a planned Shock and grab tactic and robbed her of 200 euro. She got such a shock and
    fright she got very upset. They should be deported immediately after serving hard time
    This cannot be tolerated no matter what country they are from!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I think it's time for you to go home maybe you will not have to work with Irish idiots that cant file you fuc kin numb nut fu ck..Let me tell you before 1922 when the british ruled Ireland nobody helped us we done it ourselfs. Cheap scab labour thats all you are lets call the kettle black..
    :mad::mad:

Post reported.

From experience dealing with both Romanians and Romas, I have to say that the majority of Romanians are all hard working, decent folk in fact the majority of them I'd have well gone of the beer with. Romas I have dealt with on the other hand have come across in a lot of cases as been very suspect.

Boston wrote: »
    He's doing a fairly decent job for someone whose first language isn't English.

I've heard worse i am just pointing out, that he is saying Romanians are
    more educated than us Irish but cant spell himself. He is contradicting his statement

Boston i think chrisstyna is actually a girls name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Could you write something similar in a language other then English?

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Could you write something similar in a language other then English?

The thing is Boston i am fortunate enough that i have not had to leave my country for whatever reason. I personally dont have a problem with people
    coming over if they are going to work and make an effort to fit in and contribute in their own way to Irish society.
    I done German in School but as i have not used it in 8 years i dont remember much of it
    I am not here to get at anyone, just have my opinion.
    Anyway Boston What is your opinion on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I done german. Class, can someone please stand up and tell the man what he should have said?

Grammar, me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The thing is Boston I am fortunate enough that I have not had to leave my country for whatever reason. I personally don't have a problem with people
    coming over if they are going to work and make an effort to fit in and contribute in their own way to Irish society.
    I have done German in School but as I have not used it in 8 years I don't remember much of it.
    Anyway Boston, what is your opinion on the thread?

People in glass houses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Grammar, me hole.

Grammar, my hole. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The thing is Boston i am fortunate enough that i have not had to leave my country for whatever reason. I personally dont have a problem with people
    I done German in School but as i have not used it in 8 years i dont remember much of it
    Anyway Boston What is your opinion on the thread?

So you can't speak or write in another language, but feel you're in a position to criticise the spelling and grammar of someone else, writing in their second language.

• Advertisement

I never claimed to be multi linguial did i? Thats coming from you.
    Just sticking up for us Irish because i felt the Romanian fellow contributor
    to this was being negative towards Irish. However i have no problem with
    Non National people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

As soon as you generalise a group of people it tends to come across racist.

There have been some obvious racist remarks by some Irish in this thread.

And then the Romanian girl has come on and could have held the high ground, but instead, boasted and put down Irish people...:rolleyes:

Romanians and other Eastern Europeans are in the same position we have been in before when our people had to migrate to live a decent life. And back then you would have also found a lot of Irish people working hard abraod, and also a lot of Irish people getting by with scams.

People that rob, attack, kill etc are only one type of people: scum. They do not deserve to be attached to any nation and bring the good people from that country down.

The thread title should simpy read : Garda arrest 12 scumbags for ATM fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 babu9124

well by your words i think you are not much better than a scumbag,in fact i think you are one....and maybe my grammar is not 100% but it's not my native language,and by the way i speak italian and spanish as well.....but you?i doubt the fact that you know 2+2=4.........nevermind writting or speaking proper english......

i have been told so many times to "f*** off back home" that i am immune to that.....i have been called f***ing romanian so many times...my point is that you guys can't make the difference between a bad person(in this case the 13 romanians arrested)no matter of their nationality and a hard working person,you drag everybody down just because they are from the same country....as i stated in my first message, lets remember those scumbags who killed two young polish guys...there was no big deal about that, but if there would have been the other way arround(polish to kill irish).....oh my god...
    a few days after this tragedy happened,at work,a polish colleague was telling a story about his new born little girl;and the manager says:ah c'mon....get to work or ill get my screwdriver out of my drawr....all the irish thought that was funny....i didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

i have been told so many times to "f*** off back home" that i am immune to that.....i have been called f***ing romanian so many times...my point is that you guys can't make the difference between a bad person(in this case the 13 romanians arrested)no matter of their nationality and a hard working person,you drag everybody down just because they are from the same country....as i stated in my first message, lets remember those scumbags who killed two young polish guys...there was no big deal about that, but if there would have been the other way arround(polish to kill irish).....oh my god...
    a few days after this tragedy happened,at work,a polish colleague was telling a story about his new born little girl;and the manager says:ah c'mon....get to work or ill get my screwdriver out of my drawr....all the irish thought that was funny....i didn't

Lived in Germany at one stage and was called a scheise auslander(damned foreigner) .
    I lived in London and got regaled with atrocious Darby O'Gill accents. None of this upset me especially, as they were directed at me by people I would have considered halfwits. But then again some of the worst halfwits were the Irish abroad.

But on no occasion did I feel the need to blame anyone else for it. People move to a new country and either make a life for themselves or make their money and move on.

As for that screwdriver comment , well I'd report that one to HR or make a complaint to the manager. Not acceptable under any circumstances IMO.

I think you also have to remember that while Eastern European education , amongst the educated, is very good, you also have the same condescending attitude to those without it, as we have. In my experience I have found it even stronger in people from that part of the world.

To my mind this reflects some of your own comments.

On topic , I am pleased to see it. The nationality was going to pop up anyway. It's part of the news story in the same way as "A man from Tralee has been arrested...".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Kess73 wrote: »
    Don't know where in Dublin is the worst for people begging at traffic lights,

At Newlands Cross last week a guy in a car gave a begging kid a tenner - I couldn't believe it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

anyway talking about the 13 romanians arrested, you should not make such a big deal about it, because at every ATM in Dublin there is an irish person begging for money...what is the difference between them and Roma people? NONE

Well, there is a slight difference, some of the Irish will swear at you if you don't give them money.
    Manky blonde Irish b***h at ATM: "Spare any change?"
    Guy getting cash out: "I don't have any change sorry"
    Manky blonde Irish b***h at ATM: "Will you just give us a euro or two"
    Guy getting cash out: "I told you I dont have any change"
    Manky blonde Irish b***h at ATM: "You lying c**t, f**k you"

Me: Gets my money out with no problem because Manky blonde Irish b***h is arguing with Guy getting cash out. I leave and go down the main street in temple bar (cash machines were the two AIB ones in Temple Bar Square). Came across two gardai. Told them about Manky blonde Irish b***h.

Gardai: Let me guess, she's a blonde one?

They went up to the AIB and got her to clear off, unfortunately she didn't go and throw herself in front of a car like she should have

koHd wrote: »
    As soon as you generalise a group of people it tends to come across racist.

There have been some obvious racist remarks by some Irish in this thread.

And then the Romanian girl has come on and could have held the high ground, but instead, boasted and put down Irish people...:rolleyes:

Romanians and other Eastern Europeans are in the same position we have been in before when our people had to migrate to live a decent life. And back then you would have also found a lot of Irish people working hard abraod, and also a lot of Irish people getting by with scams.

People that rob, attack, kill etc are only one type of people: scum. They do not deserve to be attached to any nation and bring the good people from that country down.

The thread title should simpy read : Garda arrest 12 scumbags for ATM fraud.
    well by your words i think you are not much better than a scumbag,in fact i think you are one....and maybe my grammar is not 100% but it's not my native language,and by the way i speak italian and spanish as well.....but you?i doubt the fact that you know 2+2=4.........nevermind writting or speaking proper english......

I'm sorry Crisstyna, but your basic understanding of the English language has led you to believe I'm calling all Romanians scumbags. And I know it's not your first language, so that can be excused.

I was in fact trying to defend all decent Romanians (including you) by distancing these other scumbags from your country.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion of thinking I'm a scumbag...:rolleyes:

sorry i replyed 2 the wrong person....my message was for the guy who said that is time for me to go back home...his user name is ken_goldwing....sorrythis is what he said:
    "I think it's time for you to go home maybe you will not have to work with Irish idiots that cant file you fuc kin numb nut fu ck..Let me tell you before 1922 when the british ruled Ireland nobody helped us we done it ourselfs. Cheap scab labour thats all you are lets call the kettle black.."

sorry i replyed 2 the wrong person....my message was for the guy who said that is time for me to go back home...his user name is ken_goldwing....sorrythis is what he said:
    "I think it's time for you to go home maybe you will not have to work with Irish idiots that cant file you fuc kin numb nut fu ck..Let me tell you before 1922 when the british ruled Ireland nobody helped us we done it ourselfs. Cheap scab labour thats all you are lets call the kettle black.."

Oh ok. But I think you're best off keeping your cool. People that generalise an entire country don't deserve the time of day.

As an Irish person I've had to deal with it too. Ireland was in much the same situation as Romania going back years ago and a lot of us migrated. And basically the same that's happenening with a few bad Romanians giving the rest a bad name happened to us.

In some pubs in England they used to have signs on the doors saying 'No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish'.

And because of a minority of Irish people that migrated that were dirty scumbags, some small minded English people generalised our entire population as dirty conniving scumbags. And when they said dirty, they meant literally. They would tell you to "have a bath you filthy Irish prick".

But people like that don't get far in life. And the best form of retaliation is simply living your life and rising above them. Don't lower down to their level.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Romanians are (in my experience),very smart hardworking people.Romas on the other hand are not.Does anybody know of a Roma actually working for a living,anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    Romanians are (in my experience),very smart hardworking people.Romas on the other hand are not.Does anybody know of a Roma actually working for a living,anywhere?

I'm of more or less the same opinion.

Any Romanians I've known have all been quick to disassociate themselves from the Roma people.

However during the time of the Ballymun/M50 round-a-bout debate a spokesperson from the Romanian embassey was in the media saying that those people, while 'Roma', also held Romania passports. So that would make them Romanian.

I doubt there's a bunch of travellers wondering Europe without passports, so they come from somewhere.

But I do think people should make the distinction between the Roma and Romanians.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mairt wrote: »
    But I do think people should make the distinction between the Roma and Romanians.

The problem is that it is a very hard distinction to make, because on what basis do you make it? On how someone looks? Is that not more likely to lead to racism that the country of their passport which is an objective, neutral fact? Those Romas must be treated as Romanian in law if that is what is on their passport.

That many Romas hold Romanian passports is very important, because Romania (along with Bulgaria) has only recently joined the EU. As I understand it, Romanians need a work permit to be employed here. Romanians can visit here as toursists without permits but there surely must be some law that enables vagrant or beggar tourists to be deported?

It will be interesting to see if the Romanians arrested at the start of this thread were here illegally at the time, and if they will be deported.

To me, there's something seriously wrong with the administration of this country (both the Irish government and EU law are to blame) when this sort of thing goes on. In Ireland, we only seem to do something after a tragedy. What will it take? A child begging at a junction to be struck down and killed?

Yes, we have Irish beggars here, yes, we have Irish criminals. Some people seem to think that means we shouldn't do anything about foreign beggars or criminals who are here illegally? To me, the opposite is the case, we have enough problems of our own to deal with without importing any more.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Guys,

Amongst all this Xenaphobia and Racisim, we are forgetting that Ireland has it's own variant of Roma Gypsies, Intinerants. Much of the bad press associated with Ireland throughout Britain was caused by these guys and there is a sizeable population of them over there. So let's look at the distinction between the two groups, Ireland/Itinerant - Romanian/Roma Gypsy, and move on.

I agree with a poster earlier that referring to someone as 'Romanian' is branding them. Your nationality should not proceed you.

Punchbowl wrote: »
    Guys,

Amongst all this Xenaphobia and Racisim, we are forgetting that Ireland has it's own variant of Roma Gypsies, Intinerants. Much of the bad press associated with Ireland throughout Britain was caused by these guys and there is a sizeable population of them over there. So let's look at the distinction between the two groups, Ireland/Itinerant - Romanian/Roma Gypsy, and move on.

I agree with a poster earlier that referring to someone as 'Romanian' is branding them. Your nationality should not proceed you.

YOU talk about racism and you call travellers "itinerants"?
    What do you call 'darkies' as a matter of interest?

I don't see a problem with it..

Neither does Wiki, or countless other official sites.

To quote "Irish Travellers (Irish: Lucht siúlta) are an itinerant people of Irish origin living in Ireland, Great Britain and the United States. It is estimated that 25,000 Travellers live in Ireland, between 200,000 and 300,000"

Darky however is pure racisim, thank God I'm not the one that said it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

....as i stated in my first message, lets remember those scumbags who killed two young polish guys...there was no big deal about that, but if there would have been the other way arround(polish to kill irish).....oh my god...

Sorry but, were you living under a rock for the next week or two after that happened?

Punchbowl wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with it..

Neither does Wiki, or countless other official sites.

To quote "Irish Travellers (Irish: Lucht siúlta) are an itinerant people of Irish origin living in Ireland, Great Britain and the United States. It is estimated that 25,000 Travellers live in Ireland, between 200,000 and 300,000"

Darky however is pure racisim, thank God I'm not the one that said it..

Ah yes but they havnt been known as "itinerants" for years.They call themselves Travellers now and if you're not hip to the new terminology you'll quickly find yourself called a racist.I used the word "darky" as an example of how words go out of fashion.I was under the impression that racism was the belief that one race is inferior to another and not the using of non-PC expressions.

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah yes but they havnt been known as "itinerants" for years.They call themselves Travellers now and if you're not hip to the new terminology you'll quickly find yourself called a racist.I used the word "darky" as an example of how words go out of fashion.I was under the impression that racism was the belief that one race is inferior to another and not the using of non-PC expressions.

You've contradicted yourself there, one second you say I'll find myself branded a racist for using non-PC terms and the next you say using non-PC terms is not racist.. but we won't get petty. I'll say that Travellers are an 'itinerent' group, in the purest sense of the word, and we'll get on with things. Won't we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

Regarding the Roma people :we know exactly what we are dealing with:the nastyest,most horrible people on earth.The situation is very hard to be controlled especially when Romania was acused by the Europeean Union as being racist twords them; our hands are tied ; when i see them begging at every junction it makes my blood boil, but in a way i'm glad you are getting a bit of your own medicine, to see what we have to put up with and why we are racist when it comes to them.
    Totally agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement