Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes

Options
  • 28-03-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Anyone got any good quotes from sound engineers, musicians on the process of recording. Have some nice brian eno ones but would like a few more.

Thanks alot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I remember three I used have -

1. 'Again....'
    2. 'Oh Jaysus'
    3. ' Tune da feckin' thing'
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

Not really about recording but...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

One thing i always say and have said it atleast 50 times as an amateur producer is:
    Production is all about skill and knowledge. A good producer can come up with something amazing out of the most basic of set up and a newbie will make a complete mess of a recording in even the most advanced studios.

So before you go out there to buy that €1200 sound interface and equipment, get to know your basics inside out first!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

DOn't fix it in the mix, fix it in the tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

turn it feckin down.
    tune the feck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Now I think of it -

I remember as a youth doing a session with a folk band - the singer had false teeth and would pop tweeters with his 'Esssssss-ing'

For some reason while we had practically no outboard gear, one thing we did have was an Orban De-Esser. Yer man thought this was unbelievable ! No more Essing!

On the next track yer man pipes up "Make sure you put loads of that De-Icer on me this time, Paul"

25 years later I'm still laughing at it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

"There's a better one in ya!" My fave...

The book "Behind the Glass" is full of interviews with name Prods and Eng's. Load of chancers if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

"You can't do heavy metal in Dobly"
    From Spinal Tap.
    Classic!

I often get bands ringing me up and before they ask about any of the gear or anything, they ask:
    "Do you have autotune?"
    This happens often enough that it doesn't surprise me now.

"Do you have autotune?"
    This happens often enough that it doesn't surprise me now.

What did the Pro Tools operator say to the singer???

"That was terrible! Come on in!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

needs more cowbell

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    needs more cowbell

Hey! I put on my pants like everyone else, 'cept when I put on my pants I make hit records!! :cool:

Advertisement