Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£1000 fine for not registering to vote

Options
  • 28-03-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Interesting.

Maybe if they had some decent political parties here instead of a glorified religious census, more people would want to..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Link wont load for me.

Edit: Ok, its fine now

Its just the old vote or die trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Belfast_Hibby

True. Vote or die, which would be a fair enough philosophy if there was more of a democratic choice, and not a choice between one set of sectarian rockets, another set of sectarian rockets, or Alliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

i think it is abit of a joke, i mean i am a firm believe in if people belive something and they make a conscience descion to do something it means more to them. if people dont want to vote then fair enough dont, its their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I think everyone should have to turn up on the day of the election and vote....

But I also think there should be a "none of the above" option on the ballot forcing a re-vote with new candidates is this wins....

but how would that work???? if say 33% voted none of the above and it had the largest share of the vote what would that mean??? a re-vote with new canidates??? but surly the new candidates would be less known than the ones who already stood so the chance of them being elected have dropped esp if the people voted not to go with the higger profile candidate.

nice idea but you didn't thing about it at all.

• Advertisement

If there was a "none of the above" choice, I would definately turn up and make a statement. I mean, failing to vote for what is essentially the political version of the Old Firm is as effective as throwing a ballot paper at Gerry Adams and hoping he gets a serious paper-cut. Completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jhegarty wrote: »
    I think everyone should have to turn up on the day of the election and vote....

But I also think there should be a "none of the above" option on the ballot forcing a re-vote with new candidates is this wins....

Being part of a democracy surely offers you the choice of not voting?

There's 101 things they could do to make it easier.

Having the centre's open on saturday/sunday so people can vote on the weekends.

Offer local bus services for free to and from.

"forcing" people to vote is a absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

duggie-89 wrote: »
    but how would that work???? if say 33% voted none of the above and it had the largest share of the vote what would that mean??? a re-vote with new canidates??? but surly the new candidates would be less known than the ones who already stood so the chance of them being elected have dropped esp if the people voted not to go with the higger profile candidate.

nice idea but you didn't thing about it at all.

It wouldn't matter how high profile the candidates are, if the people don't want them they shouldn't be elected .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

ntlbell wrote: »

There's 101 things they could do to make it easier.

Having the centre's open on saturday/sunday so people can vote on the weekends.

agree, of course Bertie 'man of the people' Ahern decided to ignore just about every section of society calling for a weekend vote at the last general election and held it on a thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I wonder if all the Sinn Feiners who are registered to vote in five or six different constituencies will get a £1000 bonus. It'd only be fair.

• Advertisement

I wonder if all the Sinn Feiners who are registered to vote in five or six different constituencies will get a £1000 bonus. It'd only be fair.

"Your ballot paper will count towards one vote. Unless you're a Sinn Fein representative in Fermanagh, in which case it will count twice."

"Free buses between all of the six counties will be available for all Sinn Fein voters on election day, please remember to park your car bombs in the car park provided as this is a park-and-ride service only"

God bless the Portadown News :D

jhegarty wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter how high profile the candidates are, if the people don't want them they shouldn't be elected .....

yes but what i am trying to say is that it could get to apoint where the people never fuly choose anyone because it will always be john doe's canvassing and people might like them but not know what they truly stand for and so always pick none of the above.

?????????????? so what about the poor people who are in only registered in 2-3 constituencies???? will they get nothing?????

ok but serioulsy such snide remarks are just putting two fingers up to all the people who voted for SF.

yea i agree with the idea of a weekend election and def a shuttle service to the local polling station would encourage people to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any proof of this or just hearsay or joking?

On the topic, if they implemented that down here, they would want to sort out the register or it would be lawsuit central :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

duggie-89 wrote: »
    yes but what i am trying to say is that it could get to apoint where the people never fuly choose anyone because it will always be john doe's canvassing and people might like them but not know what they truly stand for and so always pick none of the above.

What would be more interesting is if everyone ignored all the party candidates and only voted for independants. Now that would be an interesting government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

agree, of course Bertie 'man of the people' Ahern decided to ignore just about every section of society calling for a weekend vote at the last general election and held it on a thursday

Yeah that was pretty bad alright. The last election was held during the middle of third level exams and I know a lot of people either in college or working away from home couldn't get back to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If there was a "none of the above" choice, I would definately turn up and make a statement.

Admittedly, it's more negative than a none of the above, but you could still spoil your vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Interesting.

Maybe if they had some decent political parties here instead of a glorified religious census, more people would want to..?

Isn't the fine more to ensure accurate details to stop voting fraud than an effort to force (harshly encourage) people to vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They need bodies for jury service also. Many people stay off the register for that purpose.

Advertisement