Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS - you decide!

Options
  • 28-03-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭

If you had the power to put in another 3 "realistic "luas lines in dublin now, where would you put them? How would you sort out Dublins transport probs overnight?

Personally, one I'd like would be

Hueston --> Phoenix Park --> Zoo --> Castleknock area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Three lines, eh.

1 A loop in the city centre, say, the point - dame st, queen st, parnell sq - the point

2 a similar loop, say, 2km further out

3 a loop starting at the airport - ballymun - to intersect each of the other loops at east and west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dunno about realistic, but:

One to service Swords (via Gasnevin/Ballymun/Airport)

Extend Trilla's route out to Blanch/Clonee

One to Saggart/Rathcoole (via Rathmines/Terenure/Templeogue/West Tallaght

Also if there was any money left, I'd create a ring track connecting them all to the existing Dart line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again, don't how poerfulo the magic wand, is but a line joining the suburbs. Dun Laoghair, Dundrum, Tallaght, Blanch, Castleknock, Coolock.... Roughly following the m50 route

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tough to extend my one to blanch, talking about major bridges fly overs etc...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

3 new lines...I wouldnt put them in Dublin.
    The city is far too overcrowded already and the disruption to traffic for another 123461062350234 years that it takes to construct the lines is not appealing to me.

I'd rather see the money put into improving the roads, improving the cycle lanes (and making people use them) and sorting out our current public transport systems so that they are worthy of expanding.

• Advertisement

more luas = less traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

stovelid wrote: »
    One to service Swords (via Gasnevin/Ballymun/Airport)

Metro North, on the way
    Dun Laoghair, Dundrum, Tallaght, Blanch, Castleknock, Coolock.... Roughly following the m50 route

Metro West, also on the way, although it currently is planned to run from Ballymun to Tallaght.
    Hueston --> Phoenix Park --> Zoo --> Castleknock

A Luas through nothing but open countryside? Allowing buses up Chesterfield Avenue would be a better option.

I'd go for: Stephens Green, Cuffe St, Kevin St, Patrick St, High St, Church St, Broadstone, Liffey Junction, Finglas

Also: Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Templeogue, Tallaght

Finally: Stephens Green, Harolds Cross, Terenure, Rathfarnham, Ballyboden, Firhouse.

I think a lot of mine would have to go underground, so maybe it's more Metro than Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

gaff <-> social welfare
    gaff <-> boozer
    gaff <-> mot

sorted

gaff <-> social welfare
    gaff <-> boozer
    gaff <-> mot

sorted

lol, make sure get a free pass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i think there should be a luas coming in every main road into dublin so M4/N4 that can start at college green to ballyfermot to N4 park and ride to liffy vally to lucan..
    N3 can go to blanch in through cabra down smithfield cross the river and then end in pearse street.
    M1 will have the metro,

screw the south side as i dont live there!!
    and all park and rides will be free!!!!!!!!

(the city centre dosent relaly have a traffic problum it is after the M50 the problums start..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

anto-t wrote: »
    (the city centre dosent relaly have a traffic problum it is after the M50 the problums start..)

The city centre doesn't have a traffic problem? You for real?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i live in teh city centre... most traffic is caused by traffic lights and them slowing you down.... its when i head out of town is when it gets bad.... the mad cow 1 hour to get through or out the M4 30 minutes before the M50 and then 45 mins to a hour at the newcastle road traffic lights!!!

ps my journey each day is city centre to ballyfermot and i nearly never meet traffic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

clonshough > coolock > town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

1) about 200 yards from my front door --> city centre ( anywhere around college green will be grand)

2) about 200 yards from my front door --> about half a km from work (allow for a pre-work smoke)

3) am orbital luas route linking luas/dart and bus services in a big ring around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Swords -> CC via Ballymun/DCU like the metro because it's going to take about a billion years to happen

Blanch/Clonee -> CC

Lucan -> CC joining the Red line at Heuston to make it cheaper/shorter constrcution time.

Second two wouldn't be needed if they'd electrify the mainline rail along the route, sooo much cheaper and faster too.

Advertisement