Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Garmin Nuvi 760

Options
  • 28-03-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

After doing some research and reading on the net, I've come to the conclusion that the Garmin Nuvi 760 is the SatNav system for me. The only difference between the 760 and the newer 770 is that the 770 contains the additional north american maps, which are of no use to me so not worth spending the extra 50 Euro or whatever the difference is. The 760 seems to be a better system than anything TomTom has to offer too. Anyone got any opinion on the Nuvi 760? I noticed it's only 293 euro on dabs.ie :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's a good price, it's 335 for the 760T on www.expansys.ie and I can't see any flavour of the 760 on www.elara.ie so I'd go for it with www.dabs.ie

The 760T includes the traffic receiver but since nobody in Ireland (32 counties) is transmitting traffic data it's a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

Am I missing something or on dabs.ie does it not say what versions maps it has?

Depending on which retailer you buy from, the maps may be V9 or V10 (2008) but the worst case scenario is that you get a unit with V9 maps, what you do then is that you register the unit on the Garmin web site and ask for the update which they will send you for free with an unlock code printed on a label stuck to the back of the DVD case. The unlock code will be unique to you i.e. it will only unlock the maps on a unit with your serial number so you can't sell it on eBay to someone not entitled to the upgrade.

Dabs and expansys would have a high turnover so all of the units they have in stock would probably now be at V10. Smaller retailers, especially those on the high street may still have units with V9 maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Great, thanks for the replies. It does sound like a great price on dabs, I think i might go for it. Has anyone actually got the 760, or even used one?

I'm a bit worried about the maps that are/aren't included with the 760 version :/ My understanding was that the 760 had UK, Ireland, Europe and that the 770 had the same but with North America too.

Looking at the dabs description for the 760, it says;
    Maps Included: United Kingdom
    Included GPS Software: MapSource City Navigator NT

But for the 770 it says;
    Maps Included: Europe, North America
    Included GPS Software: MapSource City Navigator Europe NT, MapSource City Navigator North America NT

So there seems to be a missmatch between the 2 thats got me confused. Anyone able to shed light on this?

The 760 purchased in Europe has all of Europe maps, the equivalent single region (UK and Ireland only) model is the 710 so you have nothing to worry about.

To compare multiple models (max. 5 at a time), go here and click a few of the 7xx models, differences are highlighted in pale pink.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    The 760 purchased in Europe has all of Europe maps, the equivalent single region (UK and Ireland only) model is the 710 so you have nothing to worry about.

To compare multiple models (max. 5 at a time), go here and click a few of the 7xx models, differences are highlighted in pale pink.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I just bought it of Dabs, €307 including delivery so i'm happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey Shigsy,

I bought a Nuvi 770 a few weeks ago....great unit.

After a few weeks I got a message on the screen saying "Can't Unlock Maps". This might happen with the 760 also.

Just incase this happens to you here's the fix:

http://www.mysatnav.ie/blog/garmin-nuvi-770-–-“can’t-unlock-maps”-solution/

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey Shigsy,

I bought a Nuvi 770 a few weeks ago....great unit.

After a few weeks I got a message on the screen saying "Can't Unlock Maps". This might happen with the 760 also.

Just incase this happens to you here's the fix:

http://www.mysatnav.ie/blog/garmin-nuvi-770-–-“can’t-unlock-maps”-solution/

Cool, I'm happy now that I made the right choice by picking from the 700 series Garmins :) Thanks alot for the link too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    I've been doing a bit of research and this seems to be a good Sat Nav and has some of the best features at a good price.

My basic requirements are:
    It must have:
    • Ire/UK/European Maps
    • "Plan A Route" function
    • Updateable maps
    • Supplied with up to date map

I'm willing to pay extra if it has:
    • Speed camera notifications
    • Alternative route suggestion
    • "Point to avoid" function (just made up that name, but say for example it's taking you on a route and the road it's taking you on is closed, if you could point to avoid that road so it will give an alternative)
    • User editable maps (so users can edit thing such as road speeds, closed roads, new roads if possible?)

I'm not willing to pay extra for:
    • MP3 Player, have a separate one so no need
    • Bluetooth, my head unit has this so no need
    • Extra voices
    • Games
    • Any gimicky crap

What's your experience of using it in Ireland? Does it have many speed cameras listed? have you done much updating with user added info online and is this an easy task (say if they have temp speed cameras up, or if roads are closed for periods of time, can this info be inputted?).

Is the traffic feature usable at all in Ireland?

Does the "next turn street name speaking" work well?

With the 760, can you pick a road to avoid? So say the N7 up to the red cow is ridiculously bad, you can choose to avoid this road and if you take a turn off, it wont tell you to turn back and go back on the N7, but it will take you around it instead?

Can the features I require be got in a much cheaper one?

What maps did you get? V9 or V10 and how up to date are they? Do they have the Newry bypass going to Belfast and all of the "newer" roads?

would appreciate any feedback :)

I see a poster above mentioned if you get V9, you can just update to V10, is this free? If so, is it only free for one update or will all updated maps always be free?

Would really appreciate any help :)

Had a quick gander and seems Elara.ie are the cheapest and I can collect in Park West, Dublin which is handy. It's 235 ex vat with them at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

My 2 cents on the 760

"Point to avoid" is labelled as "Detour" - You hit the "Detour" button when you get to the blocked road. Its not foolproof IMO as it sometimes tries to get you back to the same road too soon. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see any way of getting it to pre-plan the avoidance e.g get me from A to D avoiding the bit between B and C because I know there are delays there.

On the mapping, the big disadvantage in country areas is that many small villages are not shown. It seems to only know townlands and road numbers.
    Version 10 Maps are NOT fully up to date - my trip to Dublin takes me through the fields at the Roosky bypass. I have no experience of the others so I can't say if they are any better in this respect

I found it quite good on the continent, but I'm lost there anyway and not in a position to criticize it if it sends me the long way, but so far so good

It is a bit slow to get a signal when using as a handheld in cities but I suppose thats a law of physics that satellites tend to "hide" behind high buildings

Despte all this I'ld still recommend the 760 hope that someday they will find our hidden villages

Thanks for the reply :) what villages does it not find? Does it have the likes of Wilkinstown, north of Navan and stuff like that? (I was just there the other day which is why I mention that place). That's good to know about the detour :)

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :) what villages does it not find? Does it have the likes of Wilkinstown, north of Navan and stuff like that?

I double checked this since with an example I know - Castlebaldwin - on the main N4 about 15 miles south of Sligo. It will find it as a destination and get you there OK, but if you set a route - say Sligo to Dublin (OK I know you don't need a satnav for that) - it will not give any indication as you come near or pass through the village. Instead, it will show the somewhat meaningless townlands on either side.

I suppose it's not a huge issue as you still get from A to B but it's something I would expect it to do

When you say it doesn't give any idication, do you mean that it appears on screen as if you're going through a field? If this is so, how can you navigate to it as a destination, and if you "zoom to destination" what does it show?

thanks for the reply :)

It shows you on the road - where you are - but the village name does not appear on the map - just the townlands on either side. I thought that surely if it shows townlands you would expect it to have villages. However, don't let this stop you buying one - it does't affect its overall functionality and it may not be widespread - I just noticed that example

so basically as you're driving through, it doesn't tell you where you are if you look at the screen, but if you want to navigate to that area and you search for it, it will show up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

so basically as you're driving through, it doesn't tell you where you are if you look at the screen, but if you want to navigate to that area and you search for it, it will show up? :)
    I found that name (Castlebaldwin) using MapSource and the CN NT 2008 maps, although it can't be found using the Search function for some reason, noir can I find it on my own nuvi 760. The name appears on a very small road leading off the main N4 some way to the south of where the OS 1:50k map shows Castlebaldwin to be, and where a place called Knockroe is shown on the OS map. It doesn't show any kind of village as such on the N4 itself.

So I guess the reason it didn't show you going through it was that it thought it was somewhere else! I can't explain why, but I guess it has to do with the whole Irish townland thing and the conflicts between their official boundaries and what the OS puts on their maps which don't always match up (something as a feelthy foreigner I don't profess to understand).

Hmm, hopefully I wont run into any major problems with things like that then. Can you definitely not search for say Dawson Street in Dublin by just putting in "Daw Dub" into the search or "grey wick" for Greystones, co. Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmm, hopefully I wont run into any major problems with things like that then. Can you definitely not search for say Dawson Street in Dublin by just putting in "Daw Dub" into the search or "grey wick" for Greystones, co. Wicklow?
    No, it works somewhat differently to that.

Take a look here for examples of the user interface ...

http://gpsmagazine.com/2007/10/garmin_nuvi_760_review.php

Ok, this is pretty annoying. I was searching for the following 3 places on my GPS and couldn't find them, but once I zoomed to the area, I could see them named and everything. What's up with that?

You can see the 3 places here: http://www.communitywalk.com/ireland/map/283932 and what they are called.

Can anyone find them by "searching by address" and if so, how?

Quite frustrating when you're in the van and want to go somewhere and it wont find it :(

Thanks for the replies by the way Alun, in this and the other thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Ok, this is pretty annoying. I was searching for the following 3 places on my GPS and couldn't find them, but once I zoomed to the area, I could see them named and everything. What's up with that?

You can see the 3 places here: http://www.communitywalk.com/ireland/map/283932 and what they are called.

Can anyone find them by "searching by address" and if so, how?

Quite frustrating when you're in the van and want to go somewhere and it wont find it :(

Thanks for the replies by the way Alun, in this and the other thread :)

Hi Cormie,

I was able to find them on my 610, I'm sure this way is probably simular on your system.

For some reason Garmin or Navtec consider even the smallest villages as cities!

Carrigaholt.... Press where to, address, Ireland, spell city/postcode. Type in Carrigaholt. You won't get a chance to type in the full name as it uses a bit of "fuzzy logic" to fill in the rest. Press Carrigaholt and if you have a particular address there type it in. View map to make sure, just in case.

St. Laurence, same as above except type Dublin in the city bit. I got a whole string of Dublins so I picked the first one, Dublin Co. Dublin. Type in a house number if you have one then type St. Laurence in enter street bit and away you go.

Same as above for the Steeples.

I agree with you that it can be a bit frustrating filling in the address. I've seen others that seem to have better inputs but I'm after getting used to this one. Lot of cussing involved, which no doubt you've been doing yourself!!

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Wow, I found them all doing what you said, but my oh my, it had to be spoon fed every bit of info. It wouldn't even find "steeples" only "the steeples" and gave three results all the same when it did find them. It's also annoying the way you have to pick a street in the likes of Carrigaholt when you find it. Like if I'm just told to go to Carrigaholt village, which is where "Carrigaholt" and most other place names would be pinpointed on a map, I don't want to have to choose some random street which might take me miles away from where Carrigaholt is pinpointed :(

It's annoying, you basically need to know the exact address so if I'm in my van and get a call to go somewhere, I'll need the exact address instead of being able to put in half the name. On my 2 year old one, I just had to put in "stee dub" and I'd get a list of anything like "the steeples dublin 20" or "steevens lane dublin 7" etc. If I wanted to narrow it down, search for "steep dub" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

I know exactly what you mean, and don't get me started on the places that are spelt wrong!! Or two words together, or seperated i.e. Grangevale or Grange Vale!!:mad:

If you just want to go to the town (or city), instead of pressing address try pressing cities and type in Carrigaholt. It doesn' give you the option then of a particular address.

Ah cool, thanks again.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the spaces in between, I was looking for a place called Newbawn drive and typed in Newbawn, and only newbawn park was found. As I saw it was in Dub 24, I thought it must be close so went there and as I got there, I saw "New<space>bawn drive" :mad:

again, that wouldn't have happened on my old one :p

Advertisement