Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless question pedals

Options
  • 28-03-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

Fairly new to cycling and even newer to cycling in clipless pedals (I have the bruises to prove it!).

Initially I found it impossible to get in and out of them without a major struggle but I've loosened the resistance on the clip to make it easier - they were brand new clips so I presumed that they would be fairly stiff to beging with. However, it is much easier for me to get me feet out by moving my heels in towards the frame of the bike rather than the conventional kicking of the heels outwards. Has anybody else had this experience? is ther anything I am doing wrong?

Hope soneone can answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What kind of clipless system is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

messed_up wrote: »
    Hi all,

Fairly new to cycling and even newer to cycling in clipless pedals (I have the bruises to prove it!).

Initially I found it impossible to get in and out of them without a major struggle but I've loosened the resistance on the clip to make it easier - they were brand new clips so I presumed that they would be fairly stiff to beging with. However, it is much easier for me to get me feet out by moving my heels in towards the frame of the bike rather than the conventional kicking of the heels outwards. Has anybody else had this experience? is ther anything I am doing wrong?

Hope soneone can answer.

Can't tell you what you're doing wrong, if anything, but yes I had the same impression when I started using SPDs and I've no idea why, but I just naturally twist outwards now. I found I didn't always have enough swivel room to twist my heel inwards and sometimes got caught out this way, and quickly kicked outwards to catch myself falling! Dunno if that's helpful but it might be reassuring!

Also, if you're still trying to find the right position on your foot for the cleat, make sure the cleats are well screwed in to the shoes. I hadn't screwed mine in fully at first in anticipation of altering the position, and I think all the inwards/outwards rotations made me lose a screw with nearly disasterous consequences. Also it's a pita to find an individual replacement screw for the shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

messed_up wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope soneone can answer.

Sounds like your cleat rotation is off. Rotate the cleats to point more toward the inside. Also, when you tighten the bolts, go back and forth between them until they are both super tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I find I need to drop my heel down then swing it out, rather than the whole foot. Trying to do the whole foot tended to stress my knees. Everyone falls out once or twice, then it just becomes second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

To answer your question Raam, I have BBB pedals and red LOOK cleats.

I was thinking that maybe the cleats possibly aren't aligned correctly and that if I point them out a bit more it may make the lateral movement of my foot a bit more effective. They are pretty secure in the shoe though.

As you say Ozchick, I'm sure it'll become second nature eventually. It's only when it goes completely wrong that I suffer. Yesterday, for example, I managed a perfect, controlled dismount yesterday. Right foot out nice and smoothly as I slowed and came to a stop at the junction. However, as I moved my left foot into position to take off again I applied a liitle too much weight to my left side and over I went again! Thankfully I'm an early morning exerciser so no one was around to see, though I thought I heard a muffled guffaw somewhere off in the distance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you drop into one of the shops, they should be able to sort you very quickly. Best to have the pedals aligned so that you are pedaling in a way which is natural for you. I like the red cleats as they have the most float, so they are a bit forgiving if you haven't mounted your cleats perfectly.

Advertisement