Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wind noise in VW Golf

Options
  • 28-03-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi all have a new (couple weeks) old Golf GT when I am going above 80Kmp/h it sounds as if there is wind blowing into the top corner of the drivers door although I can't feel any breeze in the car.

Had it back at the dealers yesterday (spent 3 1/2 hrs there) I then went onto a motorway and the problem seemed to be worse. Rang them back and they have booked it in again and want me to go out for a drive with a technician. Don't see the point as you need to be in the drivers seat to hear it.

Anyone know of a solution to this problem or what my options are with the dealer. Love the car but this is annoying the crap out of me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Here's a suggestion . If you have to be in the drivers seat to hear the noise Let the mechanic drive the car.
    Or you could swap it for a 1.9 diesel and you would't hear the wind noise above the din coming from under the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

jesus give it a rest will ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Duct tape up one area at a time (outside where door frame meets body), drive the car until you have identified exactly where it is coming from, then get the dealer to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Sounds like the door frame is not seating properly? Might sound stupid but did you give it a pull? I suppose its not something a person would like doing to a new car but it might be as simple as that. I'm sure the dealers will sort it though eventually. Make sure they do. You've paid enough and it will really put you off the car if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This is a well known MKV Golf issue. Dealer should be well aware of it. I believe the fix is often down to re-aligning the door slightly. Is it a 3-door?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

No Joe its a five door. Dealer claimed never to have seen this before. They spent three and a half hours working on it and to no avail. They pushed in the top part of the door which is now causing the drivers door to pop not badly in fairness but it pops none the less when opened so they have managed to bend the door but not solve the problem:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Just throwing it out there but Its possible there may have been a previous attempt to steal the car.

This is how Thieves tried to steal my g/f's car recently. She got the whole door replaced rather then just bending the door back into place, its the more expensive option but the door would never be right again.

alexmcred wrote: »
    No Joe its a five door. Dealer claimed never to have seen this before. They spent three and a half hours working on it and to no avail. They pushed in the top part of the door which is now causing the drivers door to pop not badly in fairness but it pops none the less when opened so they have managed to bend the door but not solve the problem:(

Muppets. But I come to expect this nonsense from main dealers. Perhaps try a different dealer?
    I know it was a common enough issue on 3-doors in particular, VW admitted to having problems getting the doors to align correctly from the factory. Another source of this on early MKV's was the door mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just throwing it out there but Its possible there may have been a previous attempt to steal the car.

This is how Thieves tried to steal my g/f's car recently. She got the whole door replaced rather then just bending the door back into place, its the more expensive option but the door would never be right again.

I would love to find out who did that if that was my car. i'd wait till he got his nice Impreza or similar and damage every panel and window, do the door the same as yours for good measure. might teach him some respect for property. With luck he would also be un-insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Don't know if this is any help for a root cause to your problem but my wife drives a 02 passat and two years ago when she was getting out of the car there was a very strong gust which pulled the door out of her hand and slammed the door hard open. The door closed fine again afterwards but when you pull the handle to open it the door it kinda pops open which it never did before. Then once you go above 70mph the wind started to force its way past the seals and make the a fair old annoying racket. If you pull the door hard towards you while this noise is there, it will reduce or go away altogether.
    This tells me that the door is strained and either needs a new door or somehow find a way to reverse the damage. Seeing as the occasions we use this car out on the open road are rare enough especially at that speed we just left it alone. At 80kph it would definately want fixing so perhaps a good bodyshop would be worth a shout for advice as they can have more specific experience with these type of issues than the jack of all trades mechanics in car dealerships.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    I would love to find out who did that if that was my car. i'd wait till he got his nice Impreza or similar and damage every panel and window, do the door the same as yours for good measure. might teach him some respect for property. With luck he would also be un-insured.

Well it was illegitimate scum that did it so if I was to take a sledge hammer to their car, I'd only be vandalizing some other poor suckers robbed property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

groupb wrote: »
    Or you could swap it for a 1.9 diesel and you would't hear the wind noise above the din coming from under the bonnet.

When you were a child did a VAG TDI car run over one of your kittens?

What an utterly useless contribution to this thread.

tossy wrote: »
    When you were a child did a VAG TDI car run over one of your kittens?

What an utterly useless contribution to this thread.

Where is your contribution?

Just to update bought the car back yesterday left it over night and they seem to have fixed the wind noise issue. Had asked then to fix another prob, The car seem to squeak/squeal when you hit the accelerator.

Come today went down to collect the car, asked had everything been sorted was told 100% yes (it was a loose deflector under the car). Took the car to go home lo and behold squeak was still there. Went back to the garage went out with head mechanic again and there was the squeak he said "Couldn't hear that yesterday". Back to dealership to be told a pully on the supercharer needed to be replaced.

Am half thinking of trying to hand the car back not even 30 days old and already all these probs.:(

in my experience with many dealerships over the years you need to see the tech working on the car the day you leave it in, if possible take a test-drive with him and hopefully he'll hear the noise with you! Sods law dictates the noise won't be there that day though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I have a mk V gti and have started to notice that noise also ... it's high up on the driver's side. I normally have music on loudly in the car and never really noticed it until one day I forgot my ipod and was heading up the M1.

I haven't been back to the dealer yet but will be getting them to have a look (or listen) to it

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I have a Skoda Octavia (new shape) and have a simialr issue....

Hi all got pulley fixed in car Lasted up until today and now screech is back when I accelerate. Need advice on what i should be saying to the garage at this stage this will be the 4th time the car will have to go back in just over a month.

What are my rights in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭patryk221

Hi am in the same situation just bought a mk5 gt tdi 3 door and wind noise at top right corner of the drivers door its driving me mad!!!!! is there a solution, my door is sitting in correctly rubbers look fine etc hope someone can come up with a solution here!!! Alex did u ever find out the fix to ur wind noise problem

patryk221 wrote: »
    Hi am in the same situation just bought a mk5 gt tdi 3 door and wind noise at top right corner of the drivers door its driving me mad!!!!! is there a solution, my door is sitting in correctly rubbers look fine etc hope someone can come up with a solution here!!! Alex did u ever find out the fix to ur wind noise problem

Yeah it took two trips to the dealer. In the end they replaced all the door seals on drivers door and hey presto prob solved. This is a common prob in the mk5 golfs. Hope this helps. PM me if you want any more details

• Advertisement

Pitty they didnt tell u which door seal was the cause :( do u know if they replaced the seals around the window, my one is out of warranty so would not mind finding the seal in charge.. way too costly for me at this stage to replace all seals :(

I presume it was the seals around the door itself. It may be worth ringing a dealer to see how much the seals are. If the car is not long out of warranty they may do it as a goodwill gesture.

Other than that a call to a scrap yard to get the seals maybe the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

alexmcred wrote: »
    Just to update bought the car back yesterday left it over night and they seem to have fixed the wind noise issue. Had asked then to fix another prob, The car seem to squeak/squeal when you hit the accelerator.

Come today went down to collect the car, asked had everything been sorted was told 100% yes (it was a loose deflector under the car). Took the car to go home lo and behold squeak was still there. Went back to the garage went out with head mechanic again and there was the squeak he said "Couldn't hear that yesterday". Back to dealership to be told a pully on the supercharer needed to be replaced.

Am half thinking of trying to hand the car back not even 30 days old and already all these probs.:(

Vw's ain't what they used to be, sounds like to me. These type of niggly faults used to be an Italian car issue not german.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Too many issues with these cars. Another poster had a complete turbo failure after only very limited mileage.

Ok I had enough 2 weeks I own the golf and another week of wind noise and Im selling it!! I bet its that damn window guide seals that are causing the issue but dont want to spend the money and time to replace if its not them, car is only 3 years old with 27k on it, how on earth can these seals go!!! they look like new funny enough from what I have been reading on the web its only the gt tdi that has this issue very weird... and they say German quality is the best my arse...

beet at it for 2 days now have changed the rubbers Wind noise still there!!! started to tape things wind noise to your ear feels like its coming from the Top right corner but actually its coming from the buttom right near the place where the door shuts, still trying to find out the cause, anyone out there who knows the solution pls share, have even re aligned the door to make sure the rubbers are sealing properly I used Vaseline so know they are sealing:((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Too many issues with these cars. Another poster had a complete turbo failure after only very limited mileage.

Yes, but there's tens of thousands of them on the road, so you're bound to hit a few problems. You don't get queues of satisfied customers coming in here to say "my turbo is working fine" etc. Just the ones with a problem

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Relatively few GT's out there.

patryk221 wrote: »
    beet at it for 2 days now have changed the rubbers Wind noise still there!!! started to tape things wind noise to your ear feels like its coming from the Top right corner but actually its coming from the buttom right near the place where the door shuts, still trying to find out the cause, anyone out there who knows the solution pls share, have even re aligned the door to make sure the rubbers are sealing properly I used Vaseline so know they are sealing:((

I know the first time my car went in they said the noise was due to the outer skin not sealing against the car. As I said they replaced the seals the second visit.

If you check out vagdrivers.net you may find more on this prob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement