Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leisure battery how big do i need

• 28-03-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello all.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could shine abit of light on this topic.
    i am looking to purchase a deep cycle battery with i want to run a 2500watt inverter . i have from time to time heavy requirements of electricty such as a 1000w microwave maybe a 1000w heater a 700w kettle so tv equipment etc. i wont have all these running at the same time and know that the total output will never exceed the invertor limits at any one time. i have done alot of research to find a decent inverter that has not broke the bank but when it comes to buying a battery to feed it off i seem to be getting so many different opionions on what is the best size and best value to buy. obviously the bigger the better (the more overhead i may have) . i saw a 100ah in halfords for €199 . will this do the job and safetly. its a leisure battery with a 2 year warranty. i saw another topic on leisure batterys but my main question is how much AH do i actually need to run the 2500w inverter plus alittle power to spare.
    i know one of ye guys or girls have the answer. so thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Electrickery is a mystery to me, but 100 AH won't cut it. (not for long, anyway)

People that regularly run power-zapping things like microwaves or hairdryers usully run a bank of several batteries with combined 250 - 500 AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

100 AH wont power you for 1/2 hour. Your rig would trip the mains supply in many campsites. Carrying enough batteries would add serous weight to your camper.
    Heres an idea, leave the microwave at home and go camping

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerry5992

Thanks guys for the tips. but unfortunately the van i use the power in i dont do my camping in. i use it strictly for work use. i have a 16 amp socket on the side of the van which i use most of the time where i can. i have no problem calculating my power requirements at 230v. i have 1000w microwave , 700w kettle 150w tv and 500w fridge total if all on at the same time which they are not is 2350watt divided by 230v equals 10.21 amps. The 16 amp socket can more than handle this load and is wired with 6square cable for safety. the reason i have a microwave is i sometimes i bring my dinner from home and want to heat it. i can only eat at certain times of the day between jobs.
    when i finally get a battery i will wire it to the alternator . is it possible if i leave the engine running that the microwave (electricity from inverter) will stay running for as long as i want it without emptying charge from the battery. is there any downside to side.
    so where wud i be able to buy a big battery 250ah - 500ah or is the only option to perhaps buy three batterys and link them. this works out very expensive. i do appreciate your comments . thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I don't think batteries are really an option for a microwave/kettle. 500-600watts is about the maximum for any deacent life out of a 100Ah battery. Consider a suitcase generator with 2kw output if it's a must. They are expensive however.

In your case, I'd second the generator suggestion.

The problem with batteries is, that running your microwave will drain them very quickly, whereas charging takes a long time.

You'd have to drive long distances every day to keep your batteries in good condition (the running engine won't provide enough power to run the microwave either). Alternatively you need a built in charger to constantly top up your batteries via 230 V

So, using your microwave three-four times in a row without sufficient charging of the batteries inbetween will have your batteries on deep discharge, which kills them pretty instantly. A charger is pointless (because if you have 230 V you don't need the batts in the first place :D)

You either need a massive bank of batts with three or four times peak capacity needed(to avoid deep discharge) or a generator.

The generator will be cheaper in the long run ...as you work on or near building sites, you'll probably find other uses for it and it won't matter so much if you get yourself a cheap, noisy one instead of one of those fancy Honda extra silent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Having looked at the prices of generators recntly some of them are riciculously priced. You could get a MH (a cheap one) for the price of some of them!!

These for example: http://www.happycampers.ie/happy-campers-dometic-generators2.htm

i think i have found a generator with a reasonable output and a resonable price. if you have a chance check out
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370035500885&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.ie%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D370035500885%26fvi%3D1
    or if that link doesnt work maybe item no 370035500885 on ebay.ie
    it appears to be a reasonably quite generator cos sometimes i need it to be pretty quite. i actually dont work on building sites. i am a sound and lighting engineer and were getting into festival season so on the road alot but also spend alot of time sitting outside the backs of hotels alot while waiting for gigs to happen. it says the output db level is 59 with a full load which seems to be acceptable. did any off ye buy such an item. i am now thinking of going ahead and buying this and perhaps cutting out a section in the side of the van to house it in permantely and to block it off from the van so i wont be getting any fumes into the van. i will try and build a sound proof booth for it to give extra quiteness and stop any vibration coming through to the van at least. i think im on the right road so i just hope im not going the wrong way..

AFAIK Kipor is a Chinese copy of the Honda generators. People that have bought them seem to be happy. Apparently they are fairly quiet, you might not need your elaborate housing.

sounds gud. i will let ye guys no how i get on. thanks

Advertisement