Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training on a commuter bike

Options
  • 28-03-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hello. Loads of inspiring post-equinox posts about training and races so thought I'd add a question. Am considering joining a club next Autumn and have a lovely project road bike for the summer:) In the meantime I've been doing spins up the mountains on my Trek T20 (big clunky bike, perfect for touring and commuting around town). Triple cassette, flat handlebars. I keep my bike clean and in good nick. I justified getting some training spins on it to get fit firstly, get used to the mountains again secondly and hopefully to feel the 'boost' when I upgrade to a better bike next year.

Just wondering, what do the sporty cyclists here train on and is my thinking right that if you train on a mediocre bike that you'll appreciate upgrading to a good bike (and that you'll be training harder to compensate for the heavy bike)??

Or is it necessary to at least get drops to get used to 'assuming the position';)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

oobydooby wrote: »
    Or is it necessary to at least get drops to get used to 'assuming the position';)?
    In short, yes. Many roadies would have a 'hack' bike that's geometrically identical to their racing bike, but with more robust frame and wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd be very interested in this too.

Any "hack" bike recommendations?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

At the moment I'm training on a single gear Kona Paddy Wagon... so yes, it'll only do you good :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Well, I did alot of training last year on a flat, Trek 7200, (about 10 yrs old) from Leeson St., to Bray (even though I live in Stillorgan), 32lbs of bike. Used to hammer along the bike tracks to lights.
    Had a race bike, obviously still do, but liked the weight for training.
    Worked wonders.

It's like cycling up the Sugar Loaf with sandbags over your handlebars.
    It will do you alot of good.
    I used to come home dripping of sweat and the legs were fecked.
    That's what you want.

Remember coming off the Loughlinstown roundabout manys a night, trying to accelerate to beat the traffic, only to feel the rear wheel give out, scary!

Advertisement