Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bus Routes

Options
  • 28-03-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Why is it that no route map of bus services in Galway exists?

Maps of the luas lines can be seen everywhere at all the luas stop in Dublin.

Luas Map

Like wise the routemaps of Dublin Bus services seem generally very visible.

Dublin Bus Map

Why the hell are there no maps for the buses in Galway City, or lists of where the buses stop along the way.

I realise there is a transport STICKY already, but this would be Off-Topic if I dropped it in there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A route map does exist.
    it's at Bus Éireann office at Ceannt Station.

Galway is small, less than a fraction the size of Dublin so that kind of advanced service is yet to be seen here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

snubbleste wrote: »
    A route map does exist.
    it's at Bus Éireann office at Ceannt Station.

Galway is small, less than a fraction the size of Dublin so that kind of advanced service is yet to be seen here :D

In fairness like, I haven't lived in Galway City for a number of years and when I needed to get a bus, there was none to where I was going, the name had changed so I had no idea which one it was.

I asked a bus driver, and all I got was a no. He then promptly closed the doors on me and drove off without telling me which one it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thanks Sherifu.

What I meant really by the thread is that CIE could have a simple thing like routemaps and stops along the way up on the site and in the station.

I doubt very much there is a map of the stops in the station but I'll check the next day i'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think there are some leaflets alright at the station, possibly even a map. You're right, could do with having more up.

• Advertisement

I just think that it's such a simple thing.

I've been in a lot of cities across Europe. Some the size of Galway, some bigger, some smaller.

One thing they all seemed to have in common was a transport system that is easily navigable by the one-time visitor and local alike.

Bus routes mapped out in the interior of all buses, aswel as at all bus stops.

I can't see many tourists in Galway wanting to go very far away from the city centre unless it is on their way back out of the city, but I really feel that it's one way transport in the city is lagging behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

100% agree, why have an a blank post when it would be easy to put up a timetable and map.sometimes it feels like a lottery waiting to see if a bus is going to past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

if they named the stops on the route i'd be satisfied. with the leaflets you get from dublin bus you'll have no questions of how to get somewhere. the galway service is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, yes, I remember asking the same thing last year!

Bus Eireann have finally tried to do a schematic map: it's inside the timetable leaflet that they started giving out in December. It's not on their web-site anywhere, and has a few interesting "features" (eg, how many people call the roundabout by the Huntsman "Moneenageisha Cross" these days, calls Ballybrit industrial estate "Mervue Industrial Estate upper", calls Eirecomm "Telecom", tries to used different shaded lines to show the routes even though they don't work when it's all printed in blue, etc) but it's vast improvement on the total lack of maps before. Technically it will be copyright, but I'm guessing that they won't actually chase me down and sue me if I take a picture and post it here for you. Will do it shortly, maybe tomorrow morning, when the light is better :)

I've noticed that a bunch of flash new buses have been put in to service in the last few weeks: brighter destination signs, shiny paintwork, new upholstery, and "Galway" painted on 'em. Since then, there always seems to be a#9 at the bus-stop in Eyre Square, waiting to leave. Makes me think they have actually managed to do the promised 15-minute service. And according to the papers, there are 60 bus-shelters on the way too.

Fwiw, some tourists do catch local buses: last week I watched a couple of mega-shoppers hop onto the #5, on their way back to Days Inn (they asked the driver if he went past it, and they had that culchie-come-to-town-for-the-weekend look going). Tonight outside Wellpark an American guy asked me if #2 stopped here and when it was due, he definitely had that tourist look.

Like, I was in France recently, and the tranport system made our look like 3rd world. That is not an exageration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok: here's the map:
    RIMG5042-50pc.JPG

And here's the page that says what streets each bus (officially :)) travels along.
    RIMG5045-50pc.JPG

I think the comment about 3rd world is a little harsh. I've caught the bus in Fiji: there was no glass in the windows, passengers were carrying chickens, and I'm pretty sure no suspension.

But there are lots of things about Ireland, including some aspects of public transport, which make me think that "second world" wouldn't be a bad phrase to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The problem with the bus service in Galway is that it is so far behind the times. There are still buses going to Rahoon Park for god sake! That estate hasn't existed for almost 10 years since they demolished it. There is a bus stop at the airport with a shelter, but no bus service. That should be a priority in my book, a regular service to the airport.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ok: here's the map:
    RIMG5042-50pc.JPG

And here's the page that says what streets each bus (officially :)) travels along.
    RIMG5045-50pc.JPG

I've actually seen them yokes, years ago. I forgot about them totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That map has confused me more than I was before I saw it! My problem with the timetables etc is that the names of some places mean nothing to tourists/newcomers to Galway.

What they need to do is print up a map with colour-coded routes and make these available on bus shelters and as leaflets in the bus station. It might cost them a bit more than the other map but it'll be a hell of a lot easier for people to find where they are going.

Advertisement