Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose Intolerance

Options
  • 28-03-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

OK...not looking for medical advice here really before anyone jumps in.

My two 5 month old boys are having terrible problems with wind (both directions). It has gotten far worse since they have been upping the amounts they take at each feed. Now they end up blue around the mouth in the evenings and are in pain but can't get rid of it. Having talked to the doctor about this, she contacted the feeding clinic in St Finnbarrs in Cork over 2 weeks ago but they have never got back to us. We even tried ringing them ourselves loads of times but never an answer. So in the meantime while we wait for the wonderful health service to figure out how to answer a phone our two lads are in pain. The doc suspects a lactose intolerance which she thinks has become noticable now as they have upped the amount and can't take it.

So my question is, does anyone know a lower lactose content formula? they are currently on C+G premium (or whatever it is called). I know C+G Comfort has less lactose but was wondering if anyone knows of any others on the market or has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Ludo wrote: »
    OK...not looking for medical advice here really before anyone jumps in.

My two 5 month old boys are having terrible problems with wind (both directions). It has gotten far worse since they have been upping the amounts they take at each feed. Now they end up blue around the mouth in the evenings and are in pain but can't get rid of it. Having talked to the doctor about this, she contacted the feeding clinic in St Finnbarrs in Cork over 2 weeks ago but they have never got back to us. We even tried ringing them ourselves loads of times but never an answer. So in the meantime while we wait for the wonderful health service to figure out how to answer a phone our two lads are in pain. The doc suspects a lactose intolerance which she thinks has become noticable now as they have upped the amount and can't take it.

So my question is, does anyone know a lower lactose content formula? they are currently on C+G premium (or whatever it is called). I know C+G Comfort has less lactose but was wondering if anyone knows of any others on the market or has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

My cousin was on a soy formula. So they are definatly on the market. Sorry to not be more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I had to give my daughter soya formula also. It was called INFASOY I think and in tIreland it was available in chemists and in the UK you could get it in large supermarkets also. The reason I had to give it to my daughter was because of very different symptoms to you. SHe was not thriving at all. She spent more times losing weight than putting on weight and at 10 months weighed only 13 lb. She would drink and eat but then get very very sick. She was in and out of hosp and nothing could be detected except general reflux.
    SHe was no length on infasoy when she started to thrive and put on weight. It was brilliant. She then came off it at about 18 months and started on regular cows milk and was able for it. She has not looked back since:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

That sounds awful. My thoughts on the hospital is that you're next step would be to turn up on their doorsteps with babies in toe.

My aunt had problems with her little one with feeding. She changed her to a soya based product and didn't look back. I'm sure if you pop into a pharmacy they should be able to help you out with what you can give them.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

We used two types:

SMA LF

SMA WySoy

Our little one took to them no problem and her condition improved straight away. We tried her on cows milk when she turned 1 and she can take it now no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Any chemist will be able to give you the soy based formula. Also there are plenty of lactose and wheat free spoon feed solutions. My 5 month old nephew is on them and such a happy jolly guy these days. Soy based formula is more expensive but worth it for a good nights sleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement