Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugabe & the Zimbabwean Presidential Election

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

It takes place tomorrow but many international obeservers feel that the result of this election is already a fore gone conclusion which will result in another ''win'' for Mugabe unless in the highly unlikely event that there is no intimidation from Mugabe's supporters and the security forces and there is no widespread vote rigging but which unfortunately is expected to happen.

Discuss..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

looks lie a foregone conclusion alright. And its a shame as Zimbabwe is a country with a lot of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Mugabe: We don't rig electons

Zimbabweans are going to the polls amid allegations of vote rigging and intimidation by President Robert Mugabe.

President Mugabe casts his vote

Mr Mugabe has placed his security forces on high alert and warned the opposition that any protests following the vote will be crushed.
    But he denied any suggestion that the elections were not above board.
    "We don't rig elections," the 84-year-old said as he cast his ballot in the capital Harare.
    "I cannot sleep with my conscience if I have rigged."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1311082,00.html

Of course you don't rig elections Mr Mugabe. I mean it's obviously all lies that's coming out of various vote monitoring organisations.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah its so obvious its almost not worth discussing. The b&stard will steal it not with any clever slight of hand but merely by declaring himself the winner. The country with the lowest life expectancy on the planet (and the highest inflation) may not have the energy to rise up either.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Where's the outcry from the leftwingers on this leaders horrendous human rights record?

.. oh yea, its not america.. they dont care.

The sad thing is probably up until 10-15 years ago Zimbabawe was considered the breadbasket of Africa and had one of if not the most stable economies in southern Africa and now it has the world's worst economy.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

It seems the opposition MDC party are claiming victory. They say they have 67% of the vote so far...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7321346.stm

Marshy wrote: »
    It seems the opposition MDC party are claiming victory. They say they have 67% of the vote so far...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7321346.stm

So far yes but I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden Mugabe is decalared the winner with 60 odd % of the vote. But hopefully that won't happen but Iwouldn't hold my breath.

Mugabe's family is in Malaysia, the man himself is apparently notable by his absence, has he fled already? Probably not. The vote is 50/50 this morning apparently.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

26 seats to 25 to Mugabe at the moment according to Sky News.

I smell a rat...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

The sad thing is probably up until 10-15 years ago Zimbabawe was considered the breadbasket of Africa and had one of if not the most stable economies in southern Africa and now it has the world's worst economy.:(

Zimbabwe: From Breadbasket to Basket Case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

snyper wrote: »
    Where's the outcry from the leftwingers on this leaders horrendous human rights record?

Come off it... He's universally condemned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so mdc say the election is deeply flawed but if they win it'll be all okay.

so this was general election and not just a presidential one, how did the ex zanu-pp guy do?

There's to be a run off between Mugabe and Tsvangari

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1311750,00.html

I also see Mugabe's party Zanu-PF are also claiming the MDC have bribed election officials.:rolleyes: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

snyper wrote: »

Wheres the rightwing outcry? Oh sorry the entire rightwing can't stand Human Rights Watch or Amnesty because they might say bad things about Guantanamo aswell as Zimbabwe.

People pick on the US, Britain and Israel because they make themselves out to be 'holier than thou' with their moral crap while they wage wars of resources, landgrabbing, etc. Mugabe is just plain evil, what you gonna do about it? bomb him? Kim Il Yong is evil, what you gonna do? appease him?

Tired of this rightwing rubbish. I wanna hear Bill O'Reilly talk about Zimbabwe or the Congo just ONCE on foxnews. Nope its all homosexuals, immigrants, keepin our guns, evil muslims, all the usual fearmongering useless traits.

Back on topic.. I fear the worst for Zimbabwe, I've been following this for a long time, and it seems like Mugabe is getting ready for a bit of heavy handedness. Theres already been a huge amount of intimidation, vote rigging, dead people voting, people being turned away and they still can barely get 50% of the vote.. its depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

jonny72, absolutely true. No ones hands are clean. This appeasement and friendliness towards the US will have to come with conditions. As for china, we all need to get a big rubber at the "euro2 store" and erase it off the map.

But by god Mugabe is evil. Unfortunatly hes not the first nor the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

It is so sad to see what is happening in Zimbabwe. It is, or at least was such a beautiful country with such friendly people. The country has been run into the ground by 1 man's efforts to cling to power.

He has won almost 50% of the parlimentary seats, there is no way he did that in a free and fair election. What annoys me most is the complete inactivity of other African leaders, particularly Tabo Mbeki. There are in the region of 4million refuges in South Africa, most with little or no qualifications. As a result of this influx, crime in northern South Africa has risen. Yet Mbeki says and does nothing. Much of the problems in Zimbabwe are down to the inactivity and appeasement by the leaders of the neighbouring countries.

Zimbabwe used to be the third largest grain producer in the world, now they are relient on grain being sent to the country in the form of aid. The wildlife in Zimbabwe used to be as good as you would see anywhere including Kenya. As a result of people starving, much of the wildlife has been killed for food. Both the grain production and the wildlife will take years to build back up, if it is even possible. How can the people of Zimbabwe and the International Community have allowed him to get away with raping the country whilst amassing a huge personal fortune for himself and his political cronies.

It truley is a shame to see the country of my upbringing turned into wreck of country we see today.

If Zimbabwe has oil reserves, I very much doubt that Robert Mugabe would have been left to destroy the country in the way he has.

What Zimababwe needs is a Leader not a Ruler. If Mugabe does manage to rig the election to stay in power, I really do fair for the people of Zimbabwe. I really do fear that there will be a bloody civil war, the people are desparate for change.

Duzzie

MDC Lawyers prevented from entering Zimbabwean High Court:
    Armed police have stopped lawyers from Zimbabwe's main opposition party from entering the High Court to demand the release of presidential election results.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1311880,00.html

I also see that the South African president has said: ''The time is not yet right for international intervention in Zimbabawe''.:rolleyes:
    I mean ffs if that's the case when is the right time when they 're going around killing each other like in Rwanda in 1994.:mad:

I think I hate Mbeki more than Mugabe. The man is a disgrace to his country and continent. Not just on Mugabe of course.

The MDC will be defeated with a low right hook and it'll be buisness as usual.

Mike.

This could be coincidence but I've realised Mugabe only started all this crap when Mandela left office and Mbeki came into power in 1999. Me thinks Mugabe was afraid of p*ssing off Mandela.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mbeki might change his mind after today's talk with Gordon Brown. I see Mbeki being forced to abandon Mugabe. A deal will eventually be worked out whereby Mugabe gets sanctuary in another African country. The more things change the more they stay the same:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Maybe I'm being naive but I just think there's too much scrutiny on the situation now for Mugabe to persist with this. Then again it hasn't stopped him before. Must be a step too far this time though...

So then Zanu PF want a recount of the presidential vote. Fancy that.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    Yip, they must have decided that they didn't stuff the ballot boxes as well as they thought they had.

The constitution states that a recount can only be called for withing 48 hours of the initial count, but since when did the constitution apply to Mugabe.

The delay in anouncing the result is very worrying. That combined with the "war veterens" being deployed is a very worrying development. If it does go to a second poll, I can see there being a major crackdown on the opposition as we witnessed in the mid 80s. Several ZAPU polititions were killed in "accidents" with military vehicles.

The current situation is very serious and still Mbeki says "lets wait and see". Wait for how long?? Till there is a full blown civil war??? Till mugabe riggs the election so he win??? Till all the opposition are locked up or killed???

It really is a sad situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

In summation, we can all agree that africa is in fact a sh1th0le. And thats not going to change any time soon. So theres no point in getting depressed.

turgon wrote: »
    In summation, we can all agree that africa is in fact a sh1th0le. And thats not going to change any time soon. So theres no point in getting depressed.
    Nope, I'm afraid we dont agree. Africa is an amazing place and is far from being a "sh1th0le". The continent, and southern africa in particular, has an awful lot going for it. It is the politics of the rulers that is the problem, hence the posting in the politics section. Africa has a great deal to offer the rest of the world. Zimbabwe has provided a lot to Europe and the rest of the world in the way of food (Grain, fruit & veg, beef etc...), minerals (gold, diamonds) and tourism (lots of europeans used to go to places like Victoia Falls and to see the wildlife). Just look at the number of nurses and other profesionals here in Ireland, and have made a great contribution to the Celtic Tiger, who have come from Zimbabwe and South Africa. Europe owes it to Africa and Africans to have an interest in what goes on there. Those who have spent any time in Africa and have fallen in love with the continent and the people have every right to be depressed about the current situation.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Strange that considering the results are supposed to have been released yet.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

does this guy not have any sons he could hand down the leadership too educated in free markets like gadaffi

According to Reuters Zimbabwean police have arrested 7 election officials for ''undercounting'' votes for Mugabe. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know why anyone thought that the MDC would be allowed win:confused:

Mbeki is an accomplice, Mugabe's way out is the smuggled supply routes over the South African border, but Mbeki probably doesn't care too much because he's handing over to Zuma soon.

I can't see Zuma changing things a whole lot either.

• Advertisement

I see Mbeki has said there's no ''crisis'' in Zimbabawe.:rolleyes:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1312676,00.html

What a f***in joke. I love to know what Mandela thinks of the way Mbeki is handling this situation.

Advertisement