Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugabe & the Zimbabwean Presidential Election

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

At least Zuma and teh Zambian president have had the balls to say something. I really wouldn't expect anything else from Mbeki. If he was going to do anything, he would have done it long before now. I'm surprised Mandela hasn't said anything in the same way Tutu has. He wasn't very complimentary about Mugabe. I guess Mandela feels he doesn't have enough influence or power to influence Mugabe. As soon as anyone speaks out, Mugabe launches a tirade against them, as he did with Tutu. Maybe Mandela wants to avoid such a slanging match, although it would be great to hear him speak out.

Duzzie

This has just been posted on Yahoo. Why am i surprised. Obviously they didnt stuff the boxes enough last time so want another try. No doubt Mbeki will say that this is normal democratic process. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission will recount all votes cast in the country's March 29 election next Saturday, state media reported on Sunday.

The Sunday Mail quoted Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) chairman, Justice George Chiweshe, as saying the ballots cast in parliamentary, presidential and council votes would be counted again in the presence of party representatives, candidates and election observers.
    The bombshell announcement came as regional leaders met in Zambia to discuss a two-week delay in release results of the presidential election which has raised fears of violence in Zimbabwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

US: Mugabe rival was clear winner of election

Zimbabwe opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai was the "clear victor" of last month's poll, a top US envoy says. Jendayi Frazer was speaking in South Africa, at the start of a tour to lobby Zimbabwe's neighbours to put pressure on President Robert Mugabe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7365578.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7366826.stm

It goes from bad to worse. Armed police raided the MDC headoffices and took documents and computers. Also raided the offices of a group of independant poll monitors.

I love the statement in the state run Herald newspaper, long recognised as the mouth piece of the government. It shows the mentality of the people running the country.

Meanwhile, the Herald newspaper has condemned Zimbabwe's neighbours as "myopic stooges" for refusing to let a cargo of Chinese weapons cross their territory to landlocked Zimbabwe. "Zimbabwe is... under attack from the former coloniser and its allies. As such, Zimbabwe probably needs to arm itself more than any other country in Africa today for the simple reason that it has been targeted for destabilisation by the traditional Western rabble rousers," the Herald said.

Advertisement