Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-social Foreigners

• 28-03-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Next time you feel like giving out about foreigners please use some valid arguments.
    Big sweeping statements based on nonsensical arguments will just drag any discussion into mud slinging.
    There is enough **** being posted on these forums without you adding any.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

So you had an altercation, go on a rant about foreign nationals and state you are not racist?

I visit Ennis regularly and could give you many instances of rude and obnoxious people the vast majority of whom are Irish. What about the drivers who drive up on the pavement when exiting from the market area onto O'Connell St and have no respect or consideration for any pedestrians? They expect pedestrians to step out of their way. I noticed the other day that exit has now been cordoned off and not before time. Drivers now turn left at the barrier where the sign clearly states no entry and again they expect pedestrians to jump out of their way and if you don't move quickly enough they shout and swear.

Again, look at the driving on the new road. I was driving there a few weeks ago, approaching one of the roundabouts and about to pull out when a car that was on there just stopped in the middle! Again it was an Irish driver who stopped to look at the signs. Luckily I was concentrating but the driver behind me (also Irish) was not and almost ran into the back of me. What about drivers who drive at 40-50km per hour on roads where the limit is 100km and do not care that there is a long line of cars behind them. Just a few examples of bad driving and lack of consideration by all drivers. We could all rant about the state of driving in Ireland and the rude and ignorance of some drivers who think only they have the right the be on there and sod everyone else.

It would be interesting to see the statistics on how many of the 'foreign nationals' are on social welfare. Most of them that I know are hard working, getting paid the minimum wage and doing the jobs that many of the native Irish would turn their noses up at.

I despair when I read posts such as yours. It is not that long ago that we were the foreigners in other lands. Most of us did work hard, sent money home and for what? To read and see the intolerance of those who were lucky enough to be able to remain saddens me.

There will always be those who will take advantage and 'play' the system be they Irish, foreign national or whoever.

If someone is rude to you or in your opinion breaking the law, deal with it, report them or what ever. Their colour or nationality is irrelevant.

Re your wall - go to the CAB with all your information and they will give you free advice, no need to pay any solicitor

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Since when has the social welfare given out cars and phones? :rolleyes:

Here's a song you may like here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chattyk

RoisinD, many thanks for your reply, however, before you shout racist I suggest your look up the definition of the word. Racism is discrimination against a person for colour, creed or politics. I don't care what God people worship, if they are white, black, or anything in between or who they chose to vote for - that's completely irrelevant and nobody's business but their own. That is why I personally never discuss religion or politics because in my view those topics are very personal issues which each and every person is entitled to. To further put my point across, we were recently asked to complete a survey to do with the education system (maybe you've done this too) wherein the final section was to add your own comments on how the system should be improved. I put forward that children from foreign nations are not getting the education they deserve in so far as they arrive in Ireland with no english and are put into classes and left to sink or swim. How are they expected to keep up never mind excel in this way. They need to be given extra attention so that they can progress just as well as any other children who have english as first language.

Yes indeed! The actions of a racist!!!

You had an altercation on the road involving Irish driver's in front and behind you. How exactly did you know they were Irish - because they were white driving an Irish registered car? Maybe they were English, American, Polish, Latvian or a host of other nationalities. Apologies, maybe you stopped to check their passport.

As for the social welfare, I made these comments from information I was given from a person I know who works for the Department of Social Welfare. The foreign nationals can claim so much rent allowance that they only pay roughly €75 a month, they can claim money to buy a car and they can claim the cost of purchasing a mobile phone. The person who made these comments did so as it is his belief that everyone should be treated alike in the system.

Yes we were the foreigners and still are in many countries but the difference is when we settled in other communities we integrated into and contributed to the society we moved to while still acknowleging our heritage.

There are some lovely people in this country from all over the world who work damn hard for a living and I work with a number of them from various different countries. I am referring to the ones who come over and do absolutely nothing to support themselves, who just sit back and expect to get the best of everything for nothing. We have enough of our own countymen & women like this, we don't need to add to the number.

This said, perhaps it is best if we agree to disagree, afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion - just one of the perks of living in a free society.

Take care & best wishes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not meaning to get drawn into a debate about the numbers of Foreign Nationals in Ennis, but I think that the majority of them bring added colour to the area. The amount of coloured young lads playing sports in Clare or Munster tops always brings a smile to my face.

Ennis is a terrible town for driving around, some people think that cause it's a small town that the streets can be used as a rolling car park, saying which, parking in town in a joke, they seem to be building more and more while reducing the amount of spaces, saying which, the multi-story is always empty.

Roisin mentioned the turn by Dunnes, someone was going to be seriously hurt there at some stage, people pushing buggies across the road and then looking to see if anything was coming always annoied me, closing off that turn will be a big benifit, the place in from of Xtravision was a free for all, people seemed to think that cause you were just picking up a chinese, DVD or Subway that you could just abandon your car there.

The 1 thing that I would change would be to introduce rules for people to maintain the upkeep of their houses, the amount of houses with rusted satellite dishes or totally unkept little pieces of lawn really annoies me, owners should be kept accountable.

While I am at it, I think the car park at the back of The Diamond/Paddy Quinns should be turned into a proper market, it would be ideal, you could even put a little roof or something on it, it would really bring something to town while freeing up the Market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chattyk

Hi clareman, I like the idea about the market being put into the existing carpar behind Paddy Quinn's pub. There was mention of this by the council before as being part of the plan which was to commence with the closure of the road onto O'Connell Street. The traders are strongly objecting to this as they think it will take from their trade. I personally think it would be lovely to have old style market place. You're right about the inadequate amount of car parking space and lets hope this too is addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I was a young lad, they reduced the amount of spaces in town by "doing up" the car parks with pillars and chains, now they have cut in half the size of the biggest car park by putting in a taxi rank.

Saying that, Dunnes, Multi-Story and Temple Gate should be more than big enough to cope with the demand for spaces, but people don't even think of those spaces half the time.

I don't think the traders should have the right to object, they are given licenses by the town council, so they should do what they're told. The market is a bit of a joke at this stage anyway, all that's for sale is big boxes of detorgant (sp.), knocked off clothes and power tools at most of the stalls. There are some lovely home made foods stalls as well as the woodwork stall, they should be rewarded.

Nice stalls put around the outside of the car park with a row in the middle would be fantastic, just do it on a Saturday even, little canopy over it, it would bring something to the town.

I find its generally the case that if someone starts a sentence with "now im not racist, but...", It generally ends up being racism..I cant imagine race riots down the market..And if ever it happened, i get the feeling it would probably be the degenerate irish the op mentioned involved..The irish were the nicest people in the world until people other than american tourists started coming, then the racism came out..

The market in that car park sounds like a good idea too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The last time I was in Enniss was about 10 years ago. Not a single foreigner was to seen.

And it was a kip, the local scumbag eliment was pretty evident.This new crowd of economic immigrant couldnt have made it any worse (better maybe, but not worse).

The last time I was in Enniss was about 10 years ago. Not a single foreigner was to seen.

And it was a kip, the local scumbag eliment was pretty evident.This new crowd of economic immigrant couldnt have made it any worse (better maybe, but not worse).
    Where are you from then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I am from Ennis and haven't notice an influx of obnoxious foreigners lately. The ones I come in contact with are mostly working in shops/pubs/restaurants etc and they are as friendly (if not more friendly) than the locals.

I am more concerned by the increase in local scumbags since I was a young fella...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

chattyk wrote: »
    RAs for the social welfare, I made these comments from information I was given from a person I know who works for the Department of Social Welfare. The foreign nationals can claim so much rent allowance that they only pay roughly €75 a month, they can claim money to buy a car and they can claim the cost of purchasing a mobile phone. The person who made these comments did so as it is his belief that everyone should be treated alike in the system.
    Of course you are not racist. Who could think such a thing? [You do recognise irony?] Ignorant is a more apt term. You regurgitate these hilarious canards about the entitlements of foreign nationals. These are utter fictions but, naturally, you can cite the authority of "a person I know who works for the Department of Social Welfare." How convenient. The lies about these 'allowances' were so pervasive a few years back that it was raised in the Dáil. Cop on. This racism masquerading as indignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

chattyk wrote: »
    As for the social welfare, I made these comments from information I was given from a person I know who works for the Department of Social Welfare. The foreign nationals can claim so much rent allowance that they only pay roughly €75 a month, they can claim money to buy a car and they can claim the cost of purchasing a mobile phone. The person who made these comments did so as it is his belief that everyone should be treated alike in the system.

Hi

I'm a foreign national. I have two cars and two mobile phones and I rent a property.

Can you please PM me the details of this friend, I'd like more info as frankly, all these payments are killing my wallet and if I can get the ol' social welfare system to cough up, well hell then I am sure gonna do it.

/end sarcasm

Cop on. I pay my 41% tax and get sweet FA out of social welfare. All I'm entitled to are the tax credit you're probably entitled to. I know one or two people on social welfare as well, they sure as hell don't get any of these magical payments you're so hyped up about.

Your "friend" is spinning you BS.

And as for driving? Don't get me started... :pac:

Hi again,

Let's not get dragged into a debate that is going to descend into a flaming war, the initial points (whereas not laid out the best) are valid, there is a terrible problem in Ennis with scumbags and drivers, but it's nothing to do with visitors, it's everyones fault unfortunetly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Thread closed.
    Now you all go take your meds please...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement