Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Company Car

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice, I'm currently driving a Volvo 540, which i've had no probs with bar the boot which is very small, and in my job i do need to be carrying boxes around a lot, and i do a lot of travelling.

Will be changing in the next few months, with a budget of up to 35K and i was shortlisting the following:

Volvo V50

Ford Mondeo

Audi A4

VW Passat

Any advice ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

my first preference would be a peugeot 407 and then a citroen c5 but out of your options i would go a passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fergob

Thanks German,

I'll have a look at the Peugot, though not the citroen as i'm allergic to the looks of all citroen cars !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Fergob wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice, I'm currently driving a Volvo 540, which i've had no probs with bar the boot which is very small, and in my job i do need to be carrying boxes around a lot, and i do a lot of travelling.

Will be changing in the next few months, with a budget of up to 35K and i was shortlisting the following:

Volvo V50

Ford Mondeo

Audi A4

VW Passat

Any advice ?

Autocar tested the mondeo, passat and A4 a couple of weeks ago.
    The mondeo got 4.5 stars
    A4 got 3 stars
    passat got 2 stars

I've had the old shape mondeo and A4 and a 07 passat as company cars and the mondeo was head and shoulders above the other two.

Nice one groupb, New Mondeo sure seems to be the top in all the reviews anyway...i'll have whatever car i go for for 3 years so i want to make sure that i won't regret the choice 6 months after !..

I'd probably be able to get a good spec Mondeo for that money too...any advice on the engine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you look at the Mazda 6?

It is rated as being as good as the Mondeo. Only problem seems to be supply. Getting one with the right spec and engine is alot tougher than getting a similar Mondeo. 2.0 litre diesel is the one to go for. Plus side though is if you do get ome they are far less common on the road than the Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Horses for courses. Mondeo is a bigger car.

Reviews?.....http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/219171/new_citroen_c5_vs_rivals.html

Hadn't considered the Mazda 6 in fairness, as the look never appealed to me, The 5 door option on the Mondeo is very appealing i.e. hatch type boot ( and a big capacity boot at that )

Only negative point on the mondeo is that i don't think it would be considered as good a brand as a Volvo or Volkswagen...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

The 6 has the same option hatch and the boot is bigger than the Mondeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Hadn't considered the Mazda 6 in fairness, as the look never appealed to me, The 5 door option on the Mondeo is very appealing i.e. hatch type boot ( and a big capacity boot at that )

Only negative point on the mondeo is that i don't think it would be considered as good a brand as a Volvo or Volkswagen...

wouldnt be considered by who to be not as good a brand
    the average irish motorist , commonly held views are often dead wrong you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Moreard

The new Mazda 6 is a very nice looking car (similar looks to Lexus 250 from the side anyway). I've had a 2 x 626 without any trouble I can think of. I'm in a 2.0D S40 at the moment which has been great. Some of the others in work have the Passat which seem to have a lot of minor problems i.e. boot opening on its own, windows not working, steering lock problems, engine mgt issues. I'm not a fan of the Mondeo (due to the quick deprecation and the look of the previous models) but it has improved greatly with the current model.

I've my eye on the Honda Accord Diesel at the moment. The sport model which has a good spec retails for around 37K. Might by worth taking a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

A4 2.0TDi 120bhp will more than likely be in your budget post-July. Could be worth a look.

Boot is pretty big, chassis is good - should be perfect for travelling long distances and for carrying stuff. IMO, it also has the best brand image of the cars you've mentioned.

My second choice would be the Mondeo - it's always been a fantastic car and the new one's even better.

Volvo and Passat (and 407/C5) would be distant third in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

New skoda superb should deffo be worth a look after july.Will offer the best passenger space in its class by a significant margin and will undercut most(pricewise) in both diesel and petrol form.Boot will also undoubtedly be massive.Also offers the best bits of the saloon and hatch bodystyles with the twindoor boot system which will be as standard.There will also be a greenline version of the diesel with the lowest co2 emissions(135g km) for its class.Economy will also be good even for the petrol.The all new 1.4 tsi(125bhp) will do over 42mpg combined

http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/model/newsuperb/multimediahome/Pages/homepage.aspx?ff=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Moreard

I wonder why Audi can only get 120bhp out of a 2.0 TDi? Is it a compromised engine to achieve the required price point? In fairness, it would be acceptable for city only driving.

Is that 1.4L 125 bhp Skoda a petrol or a diesel?

AudiChris wrote: »
    A4 2.0TDi 120bhp will more than likely be in your budget post-July. Could be worth a look.

Boot is pretty big, chassis is good - should be perfect for travelling long distances and for carrying stuff. IMO, it also has the best brand image of the cars you've mentioned.

My second choice would be the Mondeo - it's always been a fantastic car and the new one's even better.

Volvo and Passat (and 407/C5) would be distant third in my view.

The Audi probably beats the mondeo (in some peoples eyes) on image but thats about its only advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Moreard wrote: »
    I wonder why Audi can only get 120bhp out of a 2.0 TDi? Is it a compromised engine to achieve the required price point? In fairness, it would be acceptable for city only driving.

Is that 1.4L 125 bhp Skoda a petrol or a diesel?

Its the base petrol model.The other petrols available at launch will be a 160bhp 1.8 and a 265bhp 3.6.The base diesel will be the 105bhp 1.9.The other diesels available will be a 140bhp 2.0 and a 170bhp version of the same engine.Also rumours of an estate model coming about a year after the hatch.Would be one of the biggest estate's available if it comes.
    About that audi engine, i dont think it would be at all compromised as i cant see it costing a lot less to manafacture.I cant really see the point of it really because the 140bhp certainly aint too much for an entry level diesel.Also, 120 bhp is a bit less than the merc and bmw entry level diesels.They produce 136 and 140 bhp respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Moreard wrote: »
    I wonder why Audi can only get 120bhp out of a 2.0 TDi? Is it a compromised engine to achieve the required price point?

Same engine is available in 140 and 170bhp. It's a de-tuned version of the engine for CO2 reasons.
    groupb wrote: »
    The Audi probably beats the mondeo (in some peoples eyes) on image but thats about its only advantage.

That's why I said IMO... But that being said, I doubt many people could argue that (to the layperson) Audi has a better brand image than Ford.

People coming to me to buy an Audi tend to also be looking at BMW, Merc, maybe Lexus or Volvo - no one's ever asked me whether they should buy an A4 or a Mondeo...

I like Ford, but Ford buyers look at Toyota, Nissan, VW etc. as the alternative, not BMW/Audi/Merc. That's just the way it is!

As for the pros and cons of A4 versus Mondeo, I guess that's the point of the thread in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Volvo V50

Ford Mondeo

Audi A4

VW Passat

Any advice ?

I assume all are diesels.

V50 is nice but small inside. Yes it is the estate but the cabin is no bigger than the Ford Focus. 1.6 diesel ok and 2L is kick ass. Might just be out of 35K budget for 2L.

Mondeo. I have the new 125bhp1.8zetec diesel. make sure it is not the LX as it is only 100bhp. Huge upper range power but not great out of 1st and 2nd. Very good and comfy car. Cheaper of all on the list for BIK purposes. Boot on hatch big enough to house a small family.

A4. If it is priced under 35K it would be the choice model but interior is very basic unless you get a few options. Does your company stick to base models as a rule. Might get stuck with very basic model.

Passat. 105bhp 1.9tdi for your money I think. Very nice interior on Comfortline. Again avoid base model. Engine feels lively enough but no where near the mondeo on upper range.

If you do 50000Km per year BIK will not be an issue as it is 6% of new value every year. But it will sting at 12% and higher if you don't do the miles. Mondeo would be the choice then as it is the cheapest option with a good engine and nice (ish) interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

groupb wrote: »
    Autocar tested the mondeo, passat and A4 a couple of weeks ago.
    The mondeo got 4.5 stars
    A4 got 3 stars
    passat got 2 stars

I've had the old shape mondeo and A4 and a 07 passat as company cars and the mondeo was head and shoulders above the other two.

Top gear test results:

Mondeo: 5/5
    "Ford draws ever nearer to BMW and Audi. But has the Mondeo done enough to warrant us wanting a Blue Oval again?"
    "The Mondeo needs to be good. Fortunately, it is."

A4: 4/5
    "Subtle style, rock-solid build and a tidy drive add up to our No. 2 small executive"
    "The new car starts to edge ahead of the old 3-Series (E46)"

Passat: 5/5
    "The slightly poorer man's Audi A4? The slightly richer man's Ford Mondeo? Whatever, the VW Volkswagen Passat is classy and well built "
    "The latest generation of VW Volkswagen Passats are knocking on the door of Mercedes-Benz quality-wise"

Different reviews say different things, lets show one that you probably won't like, shock horror, a VW scoring well! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Skoda Octavia 2.0Tdi VRS 170bhp. In Budget, very quick (for the cost), plenty of boot space ;), spec comparable to the Volvo.

With the others you mentioned you'll be loosing a lot of spec from the Volvo to gain interior space - don't know if you need rear seat space or not. The Skoda would be slightly bigger in the back than the Volvo but not by much.

Mazda looks lovely (had 1st one in on Thursday), but serious availability issues with the diesel. You are looking at May/June build for any Mondeo over the 1.8Tdci Zetec (which is a fine car by itself).

Currently the Audi is over budget for you, Passat you'll be looking at the 1.9Tdi Comfortline which is fairly well specced but the engine is rough and noisy.
    V50 is a good car. Would be very similar to drive to your S40 with a more usuable boot. Newer SE models lose the 6 CD changer from older models, but gain I-Pod connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

For me it would be either a Skoda Octavia VRS or the 170 bhp Superb (if space is a priority).

Out of the shorlist you've mentioned, the V50 would be my preference.
    follwed by: Mondeo, then Passat, then A4.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys, nice to get the opinions of people who have driven the cars i haven't ( test drives don't give you a feel of how much you'll still love the car a few months down the line ! )

I don't have any directive that i have to go for a specific fuel type, the current S40 i have is a petrol version,

I have to say a that i really love the look of the V50....which must be a bad sign...i.e. you know you're getting old when estates start taking your fancy !! and i could get a high spec one inside budget, but i have the niggley feel that i would be missing out ....The missus wants me to go for a passat, while i'm starting to feel the love for the Mondeo...though if i got a Ghia, would i have to get the horrible wood trim, or is there an option to change it ?

PaulKK wrote: »
    Top gear test results:

Mondeo: 5/5
    "Ford draws ever nearer to BMW and Audi. But has the Mondeo done enough to warrant us wanting a Blue Oval again?"
    "The Mondeo needs to be good. Fortunately, it is."

A4: 4/5
    "Subtle style, rock-solid build and a tidy drive add up to our No. 2 small executive"
    "The new car starts to edge ahead of the old 3-Series (E46)"

Passat: 5/5
    "The slightly poorer man's Audi A4? The slightly richer man's Ford Mondeo? Whatever, the VW Volkswagen Passat is classy and well built "
    "The latest generation of VW Volkswagen Passats are knocking on the door of Mercedes-Benz quality-wise"

Different reviews say different things, lets show one that you probably won't like, shock horror, a VW scoring well! :eek:

I'm only giving my opinion.I've had versions of all three cars and in My opinion the mondeo was a much better all round car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭mountain

i drove a V50 for the best part of 3 years, never missed a beat, very comfy, felt safe. However, its not that big inside, rear seat space is tight, and the petrol 1.8 is weak, the diesels are the way to go.

Advertisement