Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting a lecturer

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I desperately need to get in touch with a lecturer. She never gave us an email address for her and when I checked the ucd website her name was there but there was no more information. I tried ringing the school office but it repeatedly went to the answering machine. I need to contact her ASAP.

Any Suggestions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

This might work (but only if she is actually a full staff member):

UCD Email addresses are composed of the first and last names of the staff members devided by a full stop, e.g. (first_name).(last_name)@ucd.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Lol that's what I thought too but it said on the website that she's only an occassional lecturer... I think I'm screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

In the blackboard communication tool for that module - where it says contact select users- does her name appear in the list ?
    Or maybe contact your school - or module co-ordinator for that module ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact another lecturer on the course and ask them could they let her know you are wishing to contact her.

I tried the communications link on blackboard. Her name wasn't there :confused:
    And the phone just keeps ringing out for the school (same as module co-ordinator in this case)

See... I've done everything, I haven't a clue what to do now! :eek:

Hmmm... that's a pretty good idea. Maybe I'll mail one of them. Hope they don't mind lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

contact your department secretary and ask for an email.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

UCD Connect e-mail has a facility to search all people registered in the Connect/NDS directory. It's in the address book search tool.

Red Alert wrote: »
    UCD Connect e-mail has a facility to search all people registered in the Connect/NDS directory. It's in the address book search tool.

:confused:
    I really can't find it anywhere ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

its only available through staff SIS i think. The student one dosnt have "administrative services" on the menu of which "telephone directory" is linked. I may be wrong however

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Click 'Compose', and then click the 'To:' button.

Click 'Search', then use the dropdown to select 'Search Corporate Directory' instead of 'Search Personal Address Book'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Have you googled her? They usually have websites. Why not give the name here? Someone might know it.

Thank you Red Alert but it just wasn't working for me??!! :confused: It's a disaster. I know I wont get in touch with anyone before Monday but I've got an essay due in Monday afternoon which I still haven't got finished. I have been sick all week and I was sent into hospital yesterday. This weeks just been a disaster!!!
    What makes it worse I feel guilty that I didn't complete it in the first week we had off. Instead I only did some research and a plan but never actually finished writing it. Then I was sick so all this week has been lost and now I feel like I've looooads to do. :( I can't even get to the library now!!!

Gerry, there are no contact details for her. Her name and her subject and all are listed, just no contact details. I don't want to mention her name in case she isn't comfortable with it. At this stage, I can't afford to make anyone annoyed with me!! lol :D

She'll hardly be annoyed with her name being mentioned, she's a lecturer, they should have contact details. It's not as if you're giving out about her. How about mention her name and how nice she is, she'd like that.

lol ok her name is Eimear O' Connor and she's a great lecturer!! :D

MizzLolly wrote: »
    lol ok her name is Eimear O' Connor and she's a great lecturer!! :D

eimear.m.oconnor@ucd.ie Now, that wasn't too painful! :D

:eek::eek::eek:

How did you know that??????

:eek::eek::eek:

How did you know that??????

I stalk her :o

gerry87 wrote: »
    I stalk her :o

:eek: oook!! lol well in your own stalking experience, do you know if she checks her mail often? lol I need her to see my message before the deadline on Monday. I don't know if she'll give me an extension but I could really, REALLY do with one. I totally missed out on making any progress this week.

:eek: oook!! lol well in your own stalking experience, do you know if she checks her mail often? lol I need her to see my message before the deadline on Monday. I don't know if she'll give me an extension but I could really, REALLY do with one. I totally missed out on making any progress this week.

emm... truth time, i dont know her, i googled her. You should go to her office as well as the email, if you could get a sick note from the hospital it might help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

UCD have a policy in place for situations like this. It requires filling in forms and getting signed letters from the hospital and whatnot but don't worry if you can't contact her:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicpolicy/pol_ext_circum.pdf

• Advertisement

I got a note for work but I just didn't think of college when I was in the hospital. Maybe I can show her my sick note for work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Well if you manage to contact her then I'd imagine you can work out an informal arrangement. That link is the official procedure which goes through your Programme Office rather than the individual lecturer, so if it comes to that you may need to get another letter detailing the impact of your illness on your academic study. Shouldn't be too hard if they've already given you one for work.

Relax, you're not the first person to miss a deadline due to illness - they won't bite you :)

Breezer wrote: »
    Relax, you're not the first person to miss a deadline due to illness - they won't bite you :)

Thank you. I just feel guilty, if I had have done it during the first week I had off I wouldn't be in this situation. :o I just hope she sees the message soon. Thanks again :)

Advertisement