Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating PDF from jpegs - Scale issue!

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a series of envelope sized jpegs which i want to convert to pdf. However,when i convert the jpegs to pdf, the scale of the sheets becomes all screwed up (when i 100% zoom the pdf document, the sheets are tiny - way smaller than they were in jpeg format). Is there a way of converting my jpegs to pdf while still maintaining 1:1 scale? Im using Acrobat 8 Professional.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Perhaps the jpegs where at the normal screen resolution of 72dpi and when you converted them to pdf it changed this to around 300dpi ? I'm not familiar with the program so I can't offer much help beyond saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Would need more info - where are the jpegs coming from? What's their resolution? Do you have access to Photoshop - you can convert to PDF directly from that - although if the pics are 72 dpi you won't get good quality if it's for print.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The dirty solution would to layout your images in Word or Powerpoint or In Design and then convert that document to pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

sheets are 300dpi (image size 1240 x 585) and they were created in photoshop.

Image of jpeg at 100%
    01-5.jpg

screenshot of pdf document zoomed to 100% (the above jpeg converted to pdf, using both acrobat professional 8 and photoshop)
    Untitled-1.jpg

I know that the end user can just zoom in on the pdf, but i would prefer it to be perfect :/

One other question - can i create the pdf so as that it automatically opens up at 100% zoom when the end user opens it? ... rather than being scaled to fit screen?

woooow, i even increased the resolution of the jpeg to 900dpi - converted it to pdf and it comes out at the smaller size also!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

It depends on the resolution settings of your pdf reader. In Adobe Reader it's set to 110 ppi (for me anyway). If you set it to 300 ppi you'll see the image the same size as the jpg. You can't really control what resolution someone else views it at I don't think.

settingsfs3.jpg

ahh you got it notme... i changed the resolution of the jpeg to 120 while maintaining its correct physical size, converted to pdf and it appears the correct at 100% zoom.... Unfortunately text and images become pixelated, so i'll just have keep everything the way it is :/ - i was probably being a bit too picky anyway

Thanks for all the help everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

This seems very strange. Is there a utility can use to print to a PDF rather than doing it from Photoshop?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's loads of free pdf converters out there such as primo and 995, Acrobat pro would be the expensive option.

These usually behave as a virtual printer so you can pretty much print any document in any program direct to PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Open Office can be handy (and free!) if you use the Draw program on it, paste the image into it then convert to PDF at 300dpi - mind you, you could easily recreate that image with the program anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement