Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Scientist Magazine...

Options
  • 28-03-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. Does anyone here subscribe to NS and is it any good? Is it aimed at the lay person?

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Define 'layperson'.
    I have a couple of issues. its easy enough to read. If you did honors English in school you'll have no problem whatsoever.

*strange that science is now synonymous with atheism...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've only ever bought it a few times in airports but found it an interesting and accessible read.

I'm already struggling to keep up with my other monthlies though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Galvasean wrote: »
    Define 'layperson'.
    That would be a non-scientist.
    Strange also that atheists are obsessed with religion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I subscribed to it last year - it's pretty good if you have the time to read it - i found that it tried too hard to cover everything. It would have articles on cutting edge biology and physics that i found difficult to digest - but there was always something worth reading in every edition.

Not sure what this has to do with Atheism though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

kelly1 wrote: »

Not a dig or anything, but why do you come here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Some people do try to push that notion.

Some people do try to push that notion.

Top scientists are almost uniformly atheists. There's plenty of data, so no conjecture there. Generally, even atheists who are not scientifically minded tend to retain an interest in it, given the fact that many subscribe to its methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Dades wrote: »
    I've only ever bought it a few times in airports but found it an interesting and accessible read.

Spot on.
    It's an airport read along with Science Focus or American Scientist.
    Always hit Hughes & Hughes for it before a flight.

In answer to OP, yeah it's fine for the layman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This thread is bizarre. The amount of times I've seen Christians on this and the Christianity forum declaring and supporting the notion that Christians can be as good scientists as Atheists, and yet now one of the most active Christians on Boards posts this thread making the implicit assumption that Atheists are somehow more knowledgable about science than Christians....

We didn't even need it, though. The studies speak for themselves.

• Advertisement

I don't see what the big issue with Kelly1 asking the question here. He knows we harp on about science a lot here - if he is interesting in doing a bit of science reading - why not ask?

Sheesh.

adamd164 wrote: »
    Top scientists are almost uniformly atheists. There's plenty of data, so no conjecture there. Generally, even atheists who are not scientifically minded tend to retain an interest in it, given the fact that many subscribe to its methods.

Disagreements aside, you may find this survey interesting. In many respects it supports both of our opinions on the matter, so make of it what you will. There researchers have reached some fascinating conclusions from the data they collected.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8732

I don't see what the big issue with Kelly1 asking the question here. He knows we harp on about science a lot here - if he is interesting in doing a bit of science reading - why not ask?

Sheesh.

Oh absolutely, freedom of speech and all that. I'm just curious why someone would come here and constantly have petty digs at atheism. Contrast this with the likes of nesf, who is not an atheist but actually engages in some constructive dialogue on the subject (and yes, I know this is an agnostic board too, but the point stands). Just seems a bit sad tbh. Ah well, takes all kinds in this world I spose.

I'm just curious why someone would come here and constantly have petty digs at atheism.
    Have you been on the Christianity forum recently?!
    Meh. I just think the baggage from other threads doesn't need to be dragged in to this one.

Disagreements aside, you may find this survey interesting. In many respects it supports both of our opinions on the matter, so make of it what you will. There researchers have reached some fascinating conclusions from the data they collected.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8732

Thanks for the link. Yes, I'd have to say that sounds about right tbh. I decided to enter a career in science, but was never religious. The type of person who is interested in science will generally not be of a religious frame of mind: a lot to do with upbringing. I can't honestly say that my knowledge of science has led to my atheism -- more, it has reinforced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

That would be a non-scientist.

Define scientist. Whats your agenda Noel? So very christian of you to start winding up us atheists. Getting bored are you? Looking for some action? There are no laymen in science? I personally belive science is part of everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Have you been on the Christianity forum recently?!
    Meh. I just think the baggage from other threads doesn't need to be dragged in to this one.
    but the christians started it with the crusades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Oh absolutely, freedom of speech and all that. I'm just curious why someone would come here and constantly have petty digs at atheism.

I for one enjoy the debates these "petty digs" usually spark.

Why not try to make a serious point though, instead of saying things like "atheists are obsessed with religion"? That can't lead to anything other than a slagging match.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Does anyone here subscribe to NS and is it any good? Is it aimed at the lay person?
    I used to subscribe to the easily-accessible NS some years ago, generally tucking in while soaking in a bath on a Friday evening; I'd subscribe again if they reprinted "Albert, The Experimental Rat", a subversive cartoon strip (AFAIR) by the sadly-deceased David Austin; or indeed, if they reprinted the strip they ran before that about a dangerously inept government research establishment called -- what was it -- Grimbledon Down? Great stuff!

A few years back, a bathroom renovation produced a bigger bath, so I switched to The New Yorker and go wrinkly reading that instead.

EDIT: Jeez, this thread has spun way off-topic -- are some people posting with beer on board? Why not spin off one about science/atheism, and leave the rest to answer Noel's question? :)

• Advertisement

New Scientist is a popular science magazine, yes. You won't find journal-type technical terms. Some articles might be tougher to follow than others, depending on your level of knowledge on a given topic. Overall, it is decent and I would recommend it.

I can't honestly say that my knowledge of science has led to my atheism -- more, it has reinforced it.
    And the same can be said of the Christian scientists that I know (or know of). Still, we digress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

robindch wrote: »
    I used to subscribe to the easily-accessible NS some years ago, generally tucking in while soaking in a bath on a Friday evening; I'd subscribe again if they reprinted "Albert, The Experimental Rat", a subversive cartoon strip (AFAIR) by the sadly-deceased David Austin; or indeed, if they reprinted the strip they ran before that about a dangerously inept government research establishment called -- what was it -- Grimbledon Down? Great stuff!

A few years back, a bathroom renovation produced a bigger bath, so I switched to The New Yorker and go wrinkly reading that instead.

That post contained the word 'bath' way too many times! :D

And the same can be said of the Christian scientists that I know (or know of). Still, we digress...

Sorry, that should read "has NOT led, but has reinforced".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Yes, have it on subscription for the last...oh....five years? Would recommend it to a non-scientist, although there will be a bit of a learning curve to start off with.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

It's a grand magazine, although a good half of it is adverts and jobs for postgrads, I get scientific american, much better in my opinion, it's fairly cheap if you subscribe online

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to have a subsription... it works out a good deal cheaper but the postal system means you get issues a few weeks late or not at all some times... so I gave up on the subscription.

But I find it to be a good read when ever I pick it up..... The feedback page at the back is the best bit.

They have printed a few articles with some dodgey science in the last year or so though. But for science news they are spot on.

Noel, I think you have some good answers there (and then some!)

Going to close this thread now as it's likely to derail. If you need it reopened to reply, PM me or one of the other (C)mods. You can still use the "Thank" function of course. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement