Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting sponsored in Australia

Options
  • 28-03-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Im still in two minds about the 1 year working holiday visa.Im 30 going on 31, so would have to get it VERY soon, as in the next few weeks, but Im now wondering what about the idea of getting sponsored. I have family over there. I havent looked into it a great deal yet, but what's the story? Is it a hard thing to get done...?
    I have experience technical writing and online marketing, but my relations are electricians. I'm just sussing out all my options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Hi Barry,

The last government changed the sponsorship rules and you can no longer get sponsorship through recruitment agencies, which means only the companies can sponsor and they are very slow to do it.

If you are determined and have the funds and time to keep applying for jobs until you find one then go for it....but if you have the option of taking up a working holiday visa then definitely go for it, life will be a lot easier with that visa under you and you can start with a company on contract with view to sponsorship. You will have a 100 times better chance to getting a job with a WH visa.

The IT job market is good here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Norinoco wrote: »
    Hi Barry,

The last government changed the sponsorship rules and you can no longer get sponsorship through recruitment agencies, which means only the companies can sponsor and they are very slow to do it.

If you are determined and have the funds and time to keep applying for jobs until you find one then go for it....but if you have the option of taking up a working holiday visa then definitely go for it, life will be a lot easier with that visa under you and you can start with a company on contract with view to sponsorship. You will have a 100 times better chance to getting a job with a WH visa.

The IT job market is good here at the moment.

aye cheers for that, as i mentioned in the other thread, i may have f**ked up big time, and may not get a visa in time. fingers crossed i will...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Look in to getting an express passport - think you pay a bit extra, but worth looking in to...you can get a HW visa within 24 hours through one of the agencies like visa first...but again, you pay that little extra! (It's worth it if you are as strapped for time as you say you are!)

About what you said getting a 'normal' job in the other thread...

The working holiday visa allows you to work up to 6 months at a time in one job, but if you are determined to stay you can use this to get your foot in the door. Usually when you are applying, just state that you are applying with a view to permanency and they will take that on-board.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

aye, my plan would be to stay for a bit...
    will have my passport back (hopefully) by the 14th at the latest..
    so it gives me 4 working days to get the visa, ill see how it goes...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

Did you have any luck?

• Advertisement
Advertisement