Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppintree Park

Options
  • 28-03-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Currently looking to move to a place near poppintree park, and wondering would it be safe for running/jogging in the daytime. anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Rafloution wrote: »
    Hi there,

Currently looking to move to a place near poppintree park, and wondering would it be safe for running/jogging in the daytime. anybody any ideas?

If you've had a good physical and your doc says it's okay to jog, and if you wear the proper shoes etc -- perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

its safe enough during the day. Its a horrible park these days anyway, its all been sectioned to pieces by rusty steel railings and looks like a prison yard now, courtesy of the people who've turned most of it into apartments.

Bambi wrote: »
    its safe enough during the day. Its a horrible park these days anyway, its all been sectioned to pieces by rusty steel railings and looks like a prison yard now, courtesy of the people who've turned most of it into apartments.

Are you getting it mixed up with Balcurris Pk? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wish I was but its the same story there too, balcurris is a GAA pitch masquerading as a park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

yup its poppintree park they speak of...

The park itself has decreased in size dramatically in the past 2 years.. lots of land been took up by the new developement, Parkview, which may i say has been built so fast in comparison to the estate at the very last gate in Poppintree beside Shangan Road...

Is it me or have these same few houses been worked one for the last 3 years....

The parK itself is impossible on a wet day, regardless of the path you take your bound to come across a foot deep puddle at some point.. In saying that every park has is flaws and during the day its usually very quiet.

Night time however the depot at the centre of the park is very much a hive of activity with teenagers and alcohol.. while the rest of the park is usually quiet..

• Advertisement

flynnc8 wrote: »
    yup its poppintree park they speak of...

I'm sorry to hear that. It's been awhile since I was around there and it didn't look too bad then.

I used to bring my little 5 year old grandaughter walking around there after school. We used to sit on what she called "The granda seat" to do her homework (think it was the only seat in the park). Later I taught her to ride a bike in the park.

She's now a 21 year old young lady.

I wonder whatever happened to that 'granda seat'.

Happy memories. :o

Rashers wrote: »
    I wonder whatever happened to that 'granda seat'.

Happy memories. :o

lol... that "granda seat" still stands as the only bench in the park ha ha...

lol... that "granda seat" still stands as the only bench in the park ha ha...

It's still there? :eek:

I think I'll have to steal it.... just for old times sake doncha know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the depot at the centre of the park is very much a hive of activity with teenagers and alcohol
    Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

i was walking trough at 7am hungover and got batterd by 3 lads ..so yea my opinions changed ha

• Advertisement

In all fairness that could happen anywhere. However, I must say since my last post in this thread, things have changed dramatically.

There is now a nice big pond in place which has swans and ducks in it all the time. The pond itself has a surrounding walk way with a high railing for young children. I now take my daughter to feed the ducks whenever the weather permits. The new playground is fabulous with lots of equipment for young and older children and the walk ways are now level which means no more disastrous puddles.

Although the park as a whole is yet to be finished I do feel that it will be a really nice spot when the development is completed. On a downside the new houses close to Silloge (previously a typo when I wrote Shangan) are yet to be opened and still remain an eye sore, I recently found out it has something to do with subsiding.

All in all like the rest of the surrounding area the place has improved greatly and I'm sure it will be fabulous once it is complete. (the sooner the better)

P.s Rashers if you come across this thread again the "Granda bench" is still in tack however there are now numerous new benches, so i'm sure that one won't be missed if you fancy a late night trip with a shovel and a van lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

the far side is a hotspot for lads with nothen better to do ..i walked trough sunday and at around 6 pm and about 10 lads drinkin and throwin stones at people walking there dogs and yelling abuse its not my favorite place to walk past in the evenings

P.s Rashers if you come across this thread again the "Granda bench" is still in tack however there are now numerous new benches, so i'm sure that one won't be missed if you fancy a late night trip with a shovel and a van lol..

Thanks flynnc8. I'll probaby go around and swipe the seat.

Anyone know how much time an oul granda might serve in Mountjoy for swiping an oul park bench? :pac:

Anyone know how much time an oul granda might serve in Mountjoy for swiping an oul park bench? :pac:

lol, It will be worth it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Do it in broad daylight with 2 lads in hi-viz vests and hard hats and a clipboard. If anyone asks questions, shrug, roll your eyes, say "health and safety gone mad, you know what the Corpo are like" and they'll leave you to it.

Advertisement