Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Air Pistol Law?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

When I was 16, my fathers side of the family, unaware of the restrictions in Ireland gave me a Webley Tempest .22 Air Pistol, but I had to leave it behind in Scotland due to the Law here, I only got to use it during the summers that I visited. However 20 years on it looks as if the law has changed. Is it possible for me now to get an appropriate licence so I can bring it home and if so what is the law and where would I even start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

It is now perfectly legal to own an air pistol once you have a licence for it.

The process is actually quite simple.
    All you need to do is pop down to your local Garda station and ask to speak to the person that deals with firearms licences. Explain your case, and he/she will be able to work through the application form with you and explain the process to legally get it from the UK to here (an Article 7, I believe).

You'll probably be asked to show evidence of your security arrangements or a garda will pay you a visit to see it. If it's an air pistol, they'll probably be happy with it in a safe, bolted to a concrete wall in a house with an alarm.
    Every superintendent has different requirements, so be aware of this.

When I applied for my air pistol licence, I had a little info-sheet to go in with the form explaining why I wanted it, about the pistol and how it would be stored. This would have gone to the district super and should have addressed any questions he may have had. Once the local sergeant had dropped in to confirm I had my safe fitted, it only took a week for the cert to come through!

My most important message to you is to go and just talk to the local firearms garda. They get a lot of bad press, but I believe if you explain your case and are reasonable with them, you should have no trouble! (except if you want a centerfire rifle in Kilkenny ;);)). Also, some areas take an age to get certs processed. There may well be someone from you district from here on boards that may be able give an indication of how quick they are over in your neck of the woods.

Good luck with the application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

Thanks man, I'll start looking into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Be aware before you present yourself at a Garda station counter, that you will need to demonstrate some 'good reason' for the possession of the firearm.
    As far as I know, the only acceptable 'good reason' is for the purpose of target shooting, which will require proof of membership of a target shooting club with a suitable range.
    That's certainly the case with cartridge pistols, the requirements may be more relaxed for air pistols; somehow though, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Rovi wrote: »
    As far as I know, the only acceptable 'good reason' is for the purpose of target shooting, which will require proof of membership of a target shooting club with a suitable range.
    That's certainly the case with cartridge pistols, the requirements may be more relaxed for air pistols; somehow though, I doubt it.

Yeah, sh1t, I forgot this important bit. Thanks Rovi!

Advertisement