Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMS - aaggghhh

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all!

Not looking for medical advice, but looking to know if medical advice is a possibility IYKWIM.

My PMS is getting out of hand and is starting to affect my work life i.e. for one full week of every month, I am a paranoid, emotional mess and seem to end up having a strop about something or other every time. This is obviously not doing me any favours.

Anyways, has anyone had any experience? Is it stupid to go to the doctor about something so trivial. BTW I'm 27 and have the mirena IUD.

Thanks x

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Have you tried Starflower oil or Evening Primrose oil?

I know how you feel though, and it might be worth talking to your GP about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

I tried Evening Primrose Oil once, but TBH I kept forgetting to take the vitamin tablet. No excuse, I know!

It's just that I tend to put off doing anything about it as soon as I feel a bit better, and then the next month is round and ontop of me before I know it. Maybe I should try the EPO again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

could be the contrceptive you are on. there's a few good threads here in LL about that and possible side effects.

Evening Primrose is meant to work wonders (so I've heard) but you do have to take it every day - never tried it meself. I get bad PMT but it's just for one whole day (thank god!):eek:
    I always freak out about something (usually involving my OH - lol) and get really weepy about life in general but it all blows over in a day...

Hope you get some good advice - I don't know how you are coping with a full week of it you poor thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

EPO works fantastically well and that combined with vitamin B12 should do the job for you. You may not notice the effect immediately but stick with it...

Set an alarm on your phone to go off daily to remind you - its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

smiler26 wrote: »
    Anyways, has anyone had any experience? Is it stupid to go to the doctor about something so trivial. BTW I'm 27 and have the mirena IUD.

It doesn't sound trivial at all.
    My PMS is getting out of hand and is starting to affect my work life i.e. for one full week of every month, I am a paranoid, emotional mess and seem to end up having a strop about something or other every time.

IF you can not function then do go and talk to your GP, I have the same type
    IUS and I don't have periods nevermind PMS at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I can't cope without my Omega Fish Oil. I get it from the States as it's distilled so got no nasties in it. Makes an incredible diff to my moods. My man made a comment about how different I was after 2 weeks of being on it.

I also find exercise helps me immensely and I write in my journal (seriously!) I just write it all down, how hurt, angry, frustrated I feel and it makes a big difference. There are other ways of helping besides meds. Traditional Chinese Medicine is also a great path to follow. I have it for other reasons, but it's all connected

ozchick wrote: »
    There are other ways of helping besides meds. Traditional Chinese Medicine is also a great path to follow. I have it for other reasons, but it's all connected

Do you mean like acupuncture, or something else? I had acupuncture before (for something else) and I found it really good. Might think about going back for some more.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It doesn't sound trivial at all.

IF you can not function then do go and talk to your GP, I have the same type
    IUS and I don't have periods nevermind PMS at all.

+1
    In my experience, the Mirena IUS stopped all menstrual symptoms including PMS since it disrupts the hormone levels.
    I'd go to the doc if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I really have been spending too much time on boards. I thought this thread was going to be about private messages! :)

Am in my 4th year with Mirena now, for the first 2 yrs, all was rosy - no sign of a period, or PMS. Then in Yr3, I started getting periods again, albeit lightly. But for the past 6 months, it's pretty much back to square 1. I got the Mirena in the first place to combat severe menstrual pain (severe = morphine injections for 2 days every month when I came on).

Seems a bit weird alright....

• Advertisement

Am in my 4th year with Mirena now, for the first 2 yrs, all was rosy - no sign of a period, or PMS. Then in Yr3, I started getting periods again, albeit lightly. But for the past 6 months, it's pretty much back to square 1. I got the Mirena in the first place to combat severe menstrual pain (severe = morphine injections for 2 days every month when I came on).

Yikes:eek:

I get severe pain too and reckon i'll be on the pill for the rest of my fertile life (less when I have kids!) but although I was admitted to hospital once or twice I never needed morphine injections! my god!!

Passing out from the pain is the worst!

Do you mean like acupuncture, or something else? I had acupuncture before (for something else) and I found it really good. Might think about going back for some more.....

Yes, but treating your whole system by taking pulses, sometimes cupping, acupuncture and herbs. It sounds a bit left of centre to some people, but I've been having it for about 3 years and really come to understand my body in a totally different way. Find a practitioner you are comfortable with (mine back in Oz was a legend and I miss him SO much...) but was lucky to get referred to a good American lady here (she only takes referrals now, sorry) I've also found the climate here is so different to home that it affects me in a big way.

For example, if a person gets a lot of thrush and tinea its a sign of dampness in your system, often affected by digestion. A woman's cycle is central to her general health and wellbeing, so if you are 'blood deficient' (doesn't mean low bleeding) it affects your energy or Qi (pronounced Chi) Just some examples.

I'm interested, tell us more!

Do you reckon period pain / pms can be sucessfully treated without the pill?

Yes, yes and yes. I'm not a fan of the pill, don't like artifical hormones anyway. Apparently naturopaths also can treat PMT/PMS, but I heard there aren't many of them in Ireland...I dunno..I could ask my TCM lady on Thursday when I see her if she can recommend anyone else and could PM anyone who is seriously interested in seeing someone (I think that is allowed on this board - yeah?)

Also my periods are might lighter when I exercise regularly.

Not sure what else you want to know (oh if you want to know why I don't need the pill, my hubby had a vasectomy!!:p)

Is it expensive, i.e. is the pill cheaper in the longer term? (my pack costs €12 a month)

(it always boils dwn to money with me!)

I guess I ask what cost good health, but then it's easy to say in my position as
    I'm not on a tight budget. I go once a fortnight and its Euro50 (sorry have Aussie keys on this keyboard :p) for a treatment and about 10 for herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Also my periods are might lighter when I exercise regularly.

+1. It's like they're a barometer for what's going on with my body in general - stressed/run down/eating badly = hello period from hell :(.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I also find exercise helps me immensely
    Strenuous daily exercise is a part of the solution, indeed.

Yes, but treating your whole system by taking pulses, sometimes cupping, acupuncture and herbs. It sounds a bit left of centre to some people, but I've been having it for about 3 years and really come to understand my body in a totally different way. Find a practitioner you are comfortable with (mine back in Oz was a legend and I miss him SO much...) but was lucky to get referred to a good American lady here (she only takes referrals now, sorry) I've also found the climate here is so different to home that it affects me in a big way.

For example, if a person gets a lot of thrush and tinea its a sign of dampness in your system, often affected by digestion. A woman's cycle is central to her general health and wellbeing, so if you are 'blood deficient' (doesn't mean low bleeding) it affects your energy or Qi (pronounced Chi) Just some examples.

Where do you even start looking to find someone like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

pain (severe = morphine injections for 2 days every month when I came on).

:eek: Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you go back to your dr to have it checked ?
    When was the last time you checked that that IUS was still in place ?

I am over a year on my second Mirena and even when I had the first out and the second in I didn't get a period. My periods stopped after having the first one installed after thefirst 7 months. So yep that is about 6 years of no periods for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Hi all!

Not looking for medical advice, but looking to know if medical advice is a possibility IYKWIM.

My PMS is getting out of hand and is starting to affect my work life i.e. for one full week of every month, I am a paranoid, emotional mess and seem to end up having a strop about something or other every time. This is obviously not doing me any favours.

Thanks x

Could be the mirena. I never get PMS but I tried dinette for a while and after a while it turned me into a bit of an over emotional psycho!!:) My friend was on the implant for years and all of a sudden it started to give her all the symptoms of pregnancy (she wasn't the implant had induced a state called false pregnancy)! Every contraceptive effects people in different ways.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Where do you even start looking to find someone like this?

There is an Traditional Chinese Medicine Association in Dublin. I recall seeing it in a phone book, we don't have any this place to look it up, oh just found a brochure from my TCM and there is an Acupuncture Council of Ireland, go to wwwdottcmcidotie (I typed it like that cos I can't recall if I'm allowed to post a direct link here, but you get the idea) - Mod delete if not appropriate, thanks

There is an Traditional Chinese Medicine Association in Dublin. I recall seeing it in a phone book, we don't have any this place to look it up, oh just found a brochure from my TCM and there is an Acupuncture Council of Ireland, go to wwwdottcmcidotie (I typed it like that cos I can't recall if I'm allowed to post a direct link here, but you get the idea) - Mod delete if not appropriate, thanks

Thanks for the link ozchick. I just looked up any practitioners in Cork city, but it's listing dozens, so I don't have a clue which one to pick.

I've had this problem for a while, even before I got the Mirena, so I dont think it's related to this. Shall I just pick one at random and give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

#1 reason im glad i wasnt born a woman is PMS.

I grew up with 2 sisters , and in particular my ex, the horrible few days she would endure with a hot water bottle cradled to hr tummy plus the serious effects on her mood used to make me pity her. As somone that does not like pain or discomfort of any sorts what so ever i dont know how id cope. I get migranes once every odd month that last no more than a day - and i feel im at deaths door, i cant even think what its like to know you will suffer one week a month for the rest of your fertile life :eek:

Thanks for the link ozchick. I just looked up any practitioners in Cork city, but it's listing dozens, so I don't have a clue which one to pick.

I've had this problem for a while, even before I got the Mirena, so I dont think it's related to this. Shall I just pick one at random and give it a go?
    '

'I guess that is all you can do, if you can't get a word of mouth referral, its hard isn't it? Both mine in oz and here were referrals so I had an idea before I started. You could phone and have a chat about your situation and see if feel like they are listening etc, you may get a feel then. Don't book up for a series of treatments till you are happy (I don't know if they all do this, the city one in Dublin my husband went to did - the 'more appointments you book the cheaper it will be type of thing - but that was a shop on Grafton on something.

Good luck with it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hayden*

I have polycystic ovaries and I went to a Health Shop and was told to take Agnus Castus to help with my systoms. I have been on it for 2 months now and it tastes disgusting but it is helping!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Hayden* wrote: »
    I have polycystic ovaries and I went to a Health Shop and was told to take Agnus Castus to help with my systoms. I have been on it for 2 months now and it tastes disgusting but it is helping!!

Jeepers creepers I have that too and was never advised about that. Primrose Oil and Starflower oil, cheers for the tip missus!

I'm on the pill for the PCOS because I hadn't had a period in 5/6 months so they wanted me to start ovulating again. Am on a LowGi diet to get everything working again but I hate the pill or any artificial hormones so info on herbal/natural remedies is much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

yay i'm off to buy me some primrose oil ... Need something to chill me out on that dreaded time of the month, i'm a totally different person! Didnt think there were cures! :)

Advertisement