Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B Test passed, can I add additional categories?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Passed Car test today.

When applying for my b licence next week, what other catgorys if any can i add without taking a test

I think I can add W not sure about any other though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

If you have a full driving licence or a learner driving permit, or a current provisional driving licence, you are only entitled to drive the category of vehicle for which the licence has been issued.

If you wish to have another category of motor vehicle added to your existing licence, your existing licence must be in date. The basic rule is, categories of lower class vehicles may be added to your existing licence without the requirement of a driving test or a driver theory test. Here is an example; the holder of a class C licence can have category C1 added to their licence without having to do a driver theory test or a driving test.

www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing

Don't think the link is working but log onto citizens information - categories - travel and recreation - motoring - driver licensing

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Can I add EB to my application for B licence?? Is there a EB test??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT: Incorrect information removed!

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Can I add EB to my application for B licence?? Is there a EB test??
    Certainly not. :eek:

You may apply for a learner permit for EB and you will be legally required to be accompanied by someone with a 2 year full EB licence and do the EB test. ;)

Its mainly EB and W I'm worried about, not going to catch me dead on a moped so that m gone :p

Edit only saw reply there, theres a test for car and trailer now, didnt know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

According to the same link, when you pass the B (car) driving test, you are then entitled to apply for an EB licence, without the need to sit the driver theory test again.

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Edit only saw reply there, theres a test for car and trailer now, didnt know that
    Not many people actually do it though. Most people who have it, got it under the older licence system or, like me, got it by default after passing the EC test (articulated truck).
    Shifty wrote: »
    According to the same link, when you pass the B (car) driving test, you are then entitled to apply for an EB licence, without the need to sit the driver theory test again.
    Entitled to apply for an EB Learner Permit - not a Full Licence.

Thanks

That citizens info site is as clear as mud to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You can request to have M and W added.

Then you will have a BMW licence! ;) :pac:

It kind of ruins your joke but I thought that the M category entitlement had been removed for recent B test passes. I asked at the momo tax office when getting my license and they said I could only add W.

javaboy wrote: »
    I thought that the M category entitlement had been removed for recent B test passes. I asked at the momo tax office when getting my license and they said I could only add W.
    I've heard others say that also. I'm not so sure about it. :confused:

Perhaps Fyr.Fytr can act as a guinea pig for us when he applies for his licence! :pac:

• Advertisement

Aww cheers, who needs enemys :p

Think ill just go for b and w as I said, wont catch me on a hair dryer with wheels lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I got my license a few months ago and I only have B and W on it. No M. And I wanted it so much. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

They seem to add W automatically wether you add it or not..

I thought you got a full M, just by holding a provisional a1 or M for a year or two.. no test, it just gets upgraded.. But its peaked my interest now..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Rhodney

sorry, bit confused here...
    with the recent full B licenses, does it mean you cant add "M" category? i only have date stamped on "B" and "W"..
    TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rs50

Full motorcycle driving licence categories

There are three categories of motorcycle in Ireland that are licensed for use on public roads. If you have a full driving licence to drive a car in Ireland (Category B), you are automatically entitled to drive one category of motorcycle (Category M). The three categories of motorcycle driving licence are:
    Category Vehicle Minimum age of driver
    A Motorcycles with or without sidecar 18
    A1 Motorcycles with an engine size of 51-125cc and/or a speed capability of over 45km/h and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW, and with or without sidecar 16
    M* Two-wheeled vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 50 cc and/or a speed capability not more than 45 km/h 16

*If you already hold a full driving licence for Category B (cars) and/or either Category A or A1, you are automatically licensed to drive Category M vehicles.

The period of time a full driving licence for motorcycles is issued for will depend on the age of the applicant. There are four age brackets that the period of a licence falls under:

* If you are under 60 years of age, you may apply for a three- or ten-year licence
    * If you are older than 60 but younger than 67 years of age, you may apply for a three-year licence or a licence that will expire the day before your 70th birthday
    * If you are older than 67 but under 70 years of age, you may apply for a three-year licence
    * If you are over the age of 70, you will need a certification of fitness to drive by your doctor to apply for a three-year or one-year licence

Category A driving licences carry a restriction. This restriction limits the licence holder to motorcycles (with or without a sidecar) subject to a power limit of 25Kw. This restriction continues for two years after you complete your motorcycle driving licence test for this category and you have obtained a full driving licence for this category. This restriction was introduced for anyone applying for a Category A driving licence after 17 November 1999.

The restriction does not apply if you hold a current provisional licence taken out prior to 17 November 1999. This means that you can continue to ride motorcycles greater than 25Kw and take your motorcycle driving test on any

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/full_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'll see your citizens info and raise you Dept. of Transport
    Q.I have a full B (car) licence. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle?

A. The holder of a category B licence granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licences granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such licence holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a provisional licence in category M and successfully undergo the practical driving test in order to obtain a full licence in this category.

As usual info available about important things like this is sketchy. I would tend to go by the Dept. of Transport version though as that is what I was told at the motor tax office.

I've finally got round to looking this up. :)

Most of our rules governing licences are set out in Statutory Instrument 352 of 1999 Road Traffic (lLcensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999.

Under these regulations a person with a category B licence was automatically entitled to drive vehicles in categories M and W.

However, the above was amended in Statutory Instrument 705 of 2004 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers)(Amendment) Regulations 2004.

Under these amendments Article 42 was revised ending the automatic entitlement to a category M licence.

(The columns didn't copy and paste very well but hopefully you'll get the picture. ;))

TABLE

Category Categories

(1)(2)

M M

A1 A1, M

A A, A1, M

W W, B

B W, B

EB W, B, EB,

C1 W, B, EB, C1,

C W, B, EB, C, C1

D1 W, B, EB, D1

D W, B, EB, D, D1

EC1 W, B, EB, C1, EC1

EC W, B, EB, C, C1, EC, EC1

ED1 W, B, EB, D1, ED1

ED W, B, EB, D, D1, ED, ED1

(k) in Article 42 by deleting sub-article (3),

(l) by substituting for article 58 the following:

“58. (1) A certificate of competency shall denote the appropriate code or codes set out in column (1) of the following Table to indicate that the recipient of the certificate shall, on taking out a driving licence, be subject to driving vehicles with the restriction or restrictions set out in column (2) of that Table opposite the code in column (1).

There we go, this should be a sticky me thinks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

javaboy wrote: »
    I'll see your citizens info and raise you Dept. of Transport

As usual info available about important things like this is sketchy. I would tend to go by the Dept. of Transport version though as that is what I was told at the motor tax office.

That would make sense along the EU harmonisation line of things. For a while in the UK when you pass a B you get a automatic get a "p" moped category but it has a restriction code which doesn't make it valid until a CBT has been completed (but no test)! On the next round of licence changes when you go to the new EU card model, they'll have a EU-wide standard moped category "AM". (EU 3DLD = Third Driving Licence Directive)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Has anyone done an M test, would be a bit funny I think, probably worth doing one for the craic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement