Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland get much thunder and lightning?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Just wondering, as my daughter sent a txt from Melbourne a few days ago saying there was an awesome thunderstorm and I would have loved it (and she would have loved to have been watching it with me!).

We had a stunner in January about 3 years ago that was so slow moving it went for about 3 hours and they called it 'a one in a 100 years' storm (as they do!) It was phenomenal!

So yeah, should I hold my breath for summer storms here?

Also (don't know where else to put this, but it IS daylight saving starting this weekend, yeah?) Haven't read or heard anything but found it on a site of dates for the next 10 years.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Apparently, according to a post on the cycling thread (go figure!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

we only get a decent lightning storm here once in a blue moon !! its a pity cause i love em ! And yes the clocks go 1 hour forward on Saturday night.

Thanks. Gee there aren't many blue moons either, are there!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

We experience mostly pulse type storms in Ireland all year round, which are a couple of flashes and a couple of rumbles the majority. But on occasion we can have a moderate storm with large hail.
    MCS, severe or violent storms are uncommon except this one

[thread=296970]Severe Thunderstorm 25th/26th July 1985[/thread]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

ozchick wrote: »
    We had a stunner in January about 3 years ago that was so slow moving it went for about 3 hours and they called it 'a one in a 100 years' storm (as they do!) It was phenomenal!

So yeah, should I hold my breath for summer storms here?

Thanks!

I wouldn't hold my breath Ozchick. Ireland as a whole has the lowest thunderstorm rate in all of Europe, largely due to being a relatively small, maritime influenced island that is really to far north for any sufficent heat to build up. When thunderstorms do occur, they tend to be quite brief, weak and localised affairs most of the time when compared to the bigger and more regular organised storms that larger landmasses tend to experience.

Having said that though, thunderstorms do occur in Ireland, and can occur at anytime of the year, with varying degrees of intensity. There is really no one place in the country that will experience more or less storms than another, due the random nature of showers.

Below are maps indicating average thunderstorm distribution on an annual basis around Ireland and the UK:

daysthunder_ann.gif

Though the above chart is a very old one taken over a 30 year period in the early 20th century, it can be still used today as a rough guide to frequency and distribution of storms in the area.

The 61-90 average frequency of thunder around Ireland can be viewed here:

http://www.met.ie/climate/30year-averages.asp

British met office lightning distribution averages monitored between 1990/1997:

daysatd_ann.gif

So as you see, you'll be really lucky to grab one really!!! but good luck, we all need it!!!!:)

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks for all that info Paddy! Oh well never mind, I will survive! Just hoping for a summer not as wet as last year now. Funny, back home they are whinging how cold it's suddenly got. Gone from 38 degrees to the next week down to tops of 17!! I will miss the lovely autumn days back home, but looking forward to Spring here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Ireland sucks for lightning and storms. I've drove across the mid west of America a few times on road trips and the storms there are unbelievable. Anyone into severe weather should try a storm chasing tour in Oklahoma and northern Texas.

Or a drive from Orlando down to Miami,starting in the mid afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think we've only had a few thunderstorms in my area ever, of course the main one I remember is the one from 1985. Since that ive seen nothing remotely as good as that event except when i was In Spain. When I say a thunderstorm I mean thunder and lightning lasting at least an hour or 2 rather than a few bangs of thunder and the odd flash of lightning mixed in with a heavy shower.

Had one big long roll of thunder about 20 minutes ago!! (no it wasn't a plane!) ;) Had been going to look out the window at the rain too! Darn..waited...but no more!!

Will check the other thread you posted Snowie when I'm not so tired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

As said by Gonzo about the 1985 storm...

Read this: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=296970 - Someone says in there about their relatives from Australlia never seeing such a severe thunderstorm as they did in Ireland that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Looks like one poor chap has had enough lightning to do him for life.

Advertisement