Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch cards

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Anyone ever have any BIG wins on these??tried the nags and the footy,got nowhere,just wondering me chances if i was to invest heavily in these??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

A neighbour of a friend of mine won 10,000 recently.

This got me thinking about getting into these. When you say your willing in invest heavily , how much are you talking ? I may be willing to invest a large amount of money with you.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Anyone ever have any BIG wins on these??tried the nags and the footy,got nowhere,just wondering me chances if i was to invest heavily in these??
    Do yourself a favour and don't try and beat the house. It always wins.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and don't try and beat the house. It always wins.

My friends neighbour would disagree.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

opr wrote: »

Opr

In the long run the house always wins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

Stay away from investing heavily in any gambling type - the people who usually win are the ones who only gamble every once in a while !

• Advertisement

Opr

Expected return per card is significantly less than the price of the card.

Assuming you're planning a reasonably sized 'investment', we can apply the law of large numbers and so you're overall return will approach the expected return per card times the number of cards, which will be less than the amount you forked out.

/edit: I don't actually know what the expected return is on a scratch card, but I can guarantee it is lower than the price, otherwise the manufacturer would be making a loss. It's a zero-sum game as such. Your loss is their gain.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Expected return per card is significantly less than the price of the card.

Assuming you're planning a reasonably sized 'investment', we can apply the law of large numbers and so you're overall return will approach the expected return per card times the number of cards, which will be less than the amount you forked out.

Yeah but that was only about the 20th time my friends neighbour bought a card.

I was thinking about buying 1000 of them which would surely ensure one 10,000 card. Also a few shops in Ireland are called "hot" shops in that they sell more winning 10,000 cards that other shops in Ireland.

So if the OP was willing to stump up some of the money we could go around the hot shops and buy around a 1000 worth we might even get 2 big ones that way.

Opr

I was thinking about buying 1000 of them which would surely ensure one 10,000 card. Also a few shops in Ireland are called "hot" shops in that they sell more winning 10,000 cards that other shops in Ireland.

Well I wish you all the best with it...but buying 1000 cards certainly wont ensure one €10,000 card.

Data from this site: http://www.lotto.ie/media_room/facts.asp indicates that the ratio of expected return, E(r)/p is only 0.62, so on average, for a €1000 investment, you'll come out with €620. That's a loss of €380.

This doesn't take into account the chance of appearing on Winning Streak with the broadcasting powerhouse that is Derek Mooney however, so depending on how you value his company, it could be worth it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

hahahahahhahhahaa this is one of the funniest threads ive ever come across. ive come to the conclusion that opr must be takin the pisss!!!! invest in scratch cards!!!!! lol the thought of it is just highlarious. sure has brightened up my day tho. why dont u invest heavily in derby county to win the premier league by 2010!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Yeah but that was only about the 20th time my friends neighbour bought a card.

lol.. you are either incredibly funny or incredibly stupid :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

well i was thinking of splashing out a grand on em but from what people are saying id be better off keeping the cash in me pocket?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Congrats!!

Stupidest post i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Forky wrote: »
    Congrats!!

Eh its a level, although i invested 2500 and i am up 5600 :)

Forky wrote: »
    Congrats!!

Sorry man i know it sounds like i don't have a plan and was going to blindly buy up the cards in these hot shops. I am not that stupid and this was only part of my overall plan. This is why i was glad to see the OP's post as some of these may require a partner.

Firstly we would watch people as they come in buying cards and follow them till they scratch and lose then buy the next one as it obviously has a higher % chance of winning.

Also obviously playing the 1 euro cards is better than playing the 2 Euro ones. We will be able to buy more of these and the more cards we play the better chances we have of winning.

To avoid going broke we will use a 'Stop Limit' system. Setting a daily or weekly amount of money we can comfortably afford to lose.
    Using a system like this will help us control how much we are spending. This way we'll be able keep buying cards in the dry spells. The longer we stay in the game, the better our chances of landing a big win or getting on that telly show , The Streak !

I don't want to give away much more as if other people see this they may decide to have a go at it and hinder my own card buying.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Please tell me you are trolling. :rolleyes:

If buying 1000 cards guarantees a ten grand payout how do the Lotto stay in profit? If you're buying €2 cards they are making a loss of eight grand minimum on every thousand cards without taking into account the smaller prizes.

As for your neighbour's friend wining on his twentiteth card it's just him being lucky. First horse I backed came in at 20/1...sadly this doesn't start a trend

well i was thinking of splashing out a grand on em but from what people are saying id be better off keeping the cash in me pocket?!

What would these people know. If your not in you can't win !!

Do you have any online funds ? If you could transfer me 1k as the hot shops in my area are on fire but i am going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment. Profits 60/40 of course pm me

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im up for investing in this, I dont really have time to scratch 1000 cards a week tho so the other person would have to be willing to do the hard graft of watching the hot shops and buying tickets etc, 1 in 3.5 win so they would need to wait till theyve seen 3 losing tickets before buying one of the same sort. Im willing to put up 100% of the investment for 80% of the profits if anyones interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

This is obviously a sure fire winner, and I'm only just sorry bohsman got his offer in before I had a chance to tender.
    And as to the people who are questioning opr's bona-fides well Shame On You.

But just as a back up why don't we try the following.

I'm thinking of setting up a club. I Will call it The Tens Club. Everyone has to join €100 each to join. They pay this to me. They make money by getting another 10 people to join so they have made €900 by doing nothing except getting 10 of their friends in too. Their friends then do the same and so on and so forth.
    Who's in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

There seems to be no arguing with the logic shown, if buying 10000 cards is almost certain to give a 10k winner, and by folowing all scratch card ticket buyers (could require quite a few people to do properly) to see if they win or not, then the chances of winning are far higher, makes sense.

I think the biggest problem is finding people to be able to follow all the other buyers until they scratch, some people may just go home and not scratch it til after coronation st. so you'd have to keep a watch on their house until they went to the shop to claim.

A better strategy might be to find people who rarely buy scratch cards offer them a euro to buy one and then split the profits 40/60 with them, as we know infrequent scratchers have more chance of winning than habitual scratchers, this seems to be a good plan. Foreigeners would be good for this too as the lotto wouldn't know whether they had bought cards in their home coutries or not.

Or, we could target some shop assistant types in a hot-spot-shop, then make friends with them a hope they accidently drop some hints as to how many winners they sold that day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Please god say yous are takin the piss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

LOL at this thread and LOL at the people that actually need to be told that OPR are taking the piss....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OPR, Bohsman and others, please stop trolling. Do it again in here and you will not be posting in here for a while.

To the original poster, I have no idea if you are trolling or not, but it is a silly idea and if you don't know that you should.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement