Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound absorbtion

Options
  • 28-03-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I could do with some sound absorbing tiles or something of that nature for my guitar amp on stage, (it's too lound and the main volume change is between 0 and 2 so it's really hard to tweak.

~Any cheap effective suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Fair play, a guitarist who admits hes too loud :D.

What kind of amp is it? Is there a problem with just limiting the sound coming from the guitar so you have more control with the volume pot on the amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

It's a Fender Hot Rod Deville, I prefer to use the guitar volume pot to control the dirt rather than the main volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Matt,
    I don't think tiles will sort your problem, and I sell them!

P

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

An attenuator would be the best solution

THD's hot plate is the biz

http://www.thomann.de/ie/thd_hot_plate_8.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

MattKid wrote: »
    It's a Fender Hot Rod Deville, I prefer to use the guitar volume pot to control the dirt rather than the main volume.

I seem to remember reading that that was a major down side of this amp - too bleedin' loud.

Maybe Dave Fixtronic could confirm this but could you pull a couple of power amp valves out to reduce power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Type this in e-bay, it works a treat, I have a blues deluxe myself.
    (Its around 30 euro including postage)
    Omnisonic Tube Amp Volume Control Box

The Omnisonic Tube Amp Volume Control Box

So you finally bought yourself a tube amp, and it sounds incredible, especially LOUD. The problem is that to get that killer tube tone, you have to crank it--and now you're too loud!
    Now your problems are solved, with the Omnisonic Tube Amp Volume Control Box.
    The Omnisonic achieves an effect similar to that of pricier attenuators and power soaks, at a fraction of the cost. And it works with most brands of tube amps. If your amp has an effects loop (or a set of preamp out and power amp in jacks), you can use this box to get the tube tone you paid for without making anyone's ears bleed.
    You just put the Omnisonic in the effects loop, turn up the amp's volume, drive, EQ, and/or gain controls to the tone you really want, and then use the box to set the overall sound you've achieved at the exact volume you need. This will work with almost any tube amp, provided that you have an effects loop. It requires no batteries, so it will never stop working. And it WILL NOT harm your amp in any way.

As an added bonus, if your amp doesn't have a Master Volume control (or if your Master Volume only controls the drive channel), the Omnisonic Volume Control Box gives you what you've been missing--master control of all your channels and settings at once.
    Omnisonic now features a Chickenhead Knob, so not only does it work great, it also looks right at home sitting on your Fender amp (if you have a different brand of amp, it will still look good!). And I've made it even easier to to get the overall volume exactly where you want with the Omnisonic’s numbered dial.

There’s no more need for guesswork. This is especially useful if you switch between different guitars during a set. Sometimes you need one guitar set at ‘4,’ and another set at ’10.’ With the Omnisonic’s numbered dial, you can set the overall level with a turn of a single dial anywhere from 0 to 11 (Spinal Tap would be proud)!
    I don't just make the Tube Amp Volume Control Box. I use it. I have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, and when I'm onstage, it's no longer a struggle to get the tone I need at a volume the rest of the band and the audience can deal with. If your tube amp is anything like mine, this will be a great tool for you, for a really reasonable price. You won't have to worry about bumping that supersensitive volume knob or having to turn your amp to '2' (and losing that full tone you paid for). If you want to use other effects in your effects loop, that's no problem. Just put the Omnisonic last in the loop, and you're all set.

You don’t have to take my word for it. Here's what one happy customer had to say:

"Just wanted to send a personal THANKS, for the volume control box. I have been looking for something like this for quite some time to help tame my Ampeg and this little box does just that. Now I can blend the pedal, preamp and power tube distortion to get that sweet overdrive we all want out of our tube amps. Thanks again."

-- David F.

Advertisement