Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

links in passat gearbox

Options
  • 28-03-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi,

will try to describe problem as best i can.

a while back i found that droping the gear from 3rd to 2nd seemed less than smooth. in fact it took a bit of effort.

have had gearbox oil replaced and it feels softer now but i can't help but feel things are not right with gearbox, to me it feels like the links or something else is wrong.

i can put the car into every gear, reverse is fine to but as said it isn't doing it like it should be. i'm wondering might this be a problem with the links?

the car is a '02 passat, 1.6 petrol engine with 80k on the clock.

are links difficult or expensive to repair? i'm in cork city by the way and if anyone knows of a good garage that has experience with this sort of problem i'd be very greatful indeed.

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a 'gearbox out' job so it will be labour intensive - and then there's the labour involved in stripping and repairing the box.

I reckon you'd be better off getting a recon box.

Sorry, I don't know of anyone in Cork, but hopefully others can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

thanks for the reply,

sounds like it's going to be expensive, all i need right now.

do you have any idea how i'd go about getting my hands on a reconditioned gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's a 'gearbox out' job so it will be labour intensive - and then there's the labour involved in stripping and repairing the box.

I reckon you'd be better off getting a recon box.

This would apply if the selectors were the issue, surely if its just bushings in the external links it wouldn't involve removal & stripping of the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Oilrig wrote: »
    This would apply if the selectors were the issue, surely if its just bushings in the external links it wouldn't involve removal & stripping of the box?

Quite true. But the fact the OP "had gearbox oil replaced and it feels softer now" leads me to believe that the problem may be within the box. But the OP should have the external shift mechanism checked before deciding to remove the box. Bushes don't appear to be available - it looks like complete links are needed.

Below illustration may be of use to the OP if he wishes to investigate the external shift mechanism himself.....

[URL="[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2229/711350dc0.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]711350dc0.png

Advertisement