Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name the year

Options
  • 28-03-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Can anyone remember what year it was that we had a really good summer somewhere around the mid 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

July wrote: »
    Can anyone remember what year it was that we had a really good summer somewhere around the mid 90s?

Is this a trick question? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

1995 July and August were hot.

1997 had a hot August.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Is this a trick question? :D;)

No!

Just thinking back over that summer and I wasn't sure what age I was so I said I'd ask the weather Jimmy McGees!

Think 95 must be the one I'm thinking of.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1995 - IMHO one of the best years for weather! The summer was great with most days from the second week of April through to November having clear blue sky and sun. The heat really kicked off in mid-june and lasted until the end of august with most days over 25c. By contrast, many of the nights in April, May and early June were frosty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

I worked in the bog that summer, it was brilliant! The farmer's tan has well worn away since!

• Advertisement

I worked in a Glasshouse - no tan :( Over 50c everyday in it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1995 definitely - I was in the US that year and I remember hearing about somebody who was working on a chimney in Dublin having to be rescued due to heat stroke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

1995, a year I was on travels.
    Came home in time (or so it was planned) for bulk of harvest on 15th Aug.
    Flying in, no green to be seen, just brown, like the parts of Africa I'd just come from, and harvest was practically over!!
    But it was an easy harvest, so help was not really missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Got married on 19th August 1995 in the English midlands. Have some great wedding photos with an incredibly clear blue sky.:)
    Had a farmer uncle from Kildare who wasn't going to be able to come over because he would be in the middle of the harvest but amazingly the harvest finished several days earlier and he was there!
    Made several trips back to Dublin during that summer and was able to dress like a real tourist in t-shirt, shorts and sandals all the time!:D
    Went away on honeymoon a couple of days after the wedding and I was told that the weather was back to normal soon after we left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Summer 1995 - whilst not always warm was quite impressive. Notable for its prolonged spells of warm or even hot weather

Rrea00219950802.gif

Lovely Spanish plume of hot air - temperatures that day would have been at or just exceeding 30C inland.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I remember that summer and being down in Brittas Bay. The sand was so hot i couldn't walk on it. The only experience of that i've ever had in Ireland.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Got married on 19th August 1995 in the English midlands. Went away on honeymoon a couple of days after the wedding and I was told that the weather was back to normal soon after we left.

Spot on - I decided to get out of the glasshouse for the last week of August 1995 and go to Tramore for a week. The weather still good 19 to 22c with fair weather cloud. Though I remember it as being cold especially in the WNW breeze! The temperatures recovered in time for back to school time in September!

I also remember watching the BBC weather around the 20th October and he was going on about how 22c was recorded in the north of Iceland, yes Iceland! A record had been set. 24c was the daily max here that time.

The weather remained very mild or warm into December. The leaves were still on the trees when Bill Clinton visited in the start of December. Yet, the Christmas period was very cold and snowy from the 20th right out to 12th January. Amazing year of weather.

The St Patricks Day thunderstorms were very impressive in 1995 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I had a couple of pre-season friendly matches in that horrid month of heat which has scarred me for life. Down with this sort of weather when playin footie.

August 2003 was just as bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snowbie wrote: »

August 2003 was just as bad

August 2003 was one of my favorate months, had 5 thunder days in a row!!! I don't remember what the heat was like though. Summer 1995 was horrible I think, I remember I actually became physically sick towards september waking up to burning, incessant sunshine everyday. It was too much and unnatural!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I suppose if there is one plus i can take outa the heat is a good storm.

Yeah Paddy, i dont do heat well myself and when its humid clamy and sticky type crap, well forget it.
    In a funny sorta way, to a point i kinda enjoyed last summers rain, it was almost a break from the humid muck and kept the high pollen at bay.

The one thing about summer 95 was the humidity was low maost of the way. There was a large lack of thunderstorms that summer despite such high temperatures. I always remember saying to myself that summer that when she breaks down, she will really break down with a huge thunderstorm. I was kinda expecting a July 25 1985 again, but it never came (in these parts).

Advertisement