Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what constitutes personal abuse?

Options
  • 29-03-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

For instance would calling another poster a "donkey" constitute personal abuse?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

It all depends on the context in which it was written !!!! who did u call a donkey ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Beano wrote: »
    but why would you need to call another poster anything?

Depends on the context. Did someone do that earlier on or are you looking for ways to bend the rules :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Depends on the forum and the context imo.

I wouldn't be offended, but then I don't have hoofed feet, sticky-out teeth and big ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well I was called a wanker via Pm tonight, now that's personal abuse, no pun intended.

Ok I did intend it, how could I let that pass.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well I mean, it depends. Look at Myth. God damn Lama.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I believe the OP is asking in relation to this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055264065.

Personally, I think given that there are so many sticky threads indicating the point I was making, there really isn't a whole lot of personal abuse in it. (See screenie.) Either way, there certainly wasn't any malice/abuse intended, so I apologise if you read it that way.

nolegadv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lol, I wouldn't call that personal abuse. Just funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ah that's not really personal abuse though, I mean calling someone a "donkey" isn't all that offensive, unless they've a really long face or something and got abused over it as a child, and are still sensitive to references to it.

Given how clear it is that asking for legal advise is a no no, as is providing it, I think much stronger words are in order tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

a horse would probably consider it personal abuse

/ Boom boom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

That is in no way, or should it be construed as thus, personal abuse in any way, shape or form. And as such, donkeys cannot read and therefore the association between the offended party/parties should be taken in the jest to which it was most likely meant,as you clearly did not read the charter (updated version 13/12/07.

Come On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Boom boom

Basil Brush is a fox, not a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How can we make this any more clear?
    <blink></blink>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The personal abuse rule is retarded. Used as a shield by...well.....sensitive dickheads.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

<blink></blink>?
    Roffle.

Actually, there's scope for something similar to that in this vB version. Admins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"I played football with tbh, he's a bit of a donkey" - Personal Abuse

"I saw tbh in the showers after football, he's a bit of a donkey" - Not Personal Abuse.

hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I believe the expression is that 'the law is an ass', not a donkey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont really see what additional purpose it served calling either poster a donkey. The thread was in the wrong forum however beano didnt offer legal advice in his response.

Unfortunately thaedydal has beat me to it with the pun and therefore i cannot finish my post without making an ass of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hee haw, hee hawlways calls me that.

faceman wrote: »
    I dont really see what additional purpose it served calling either poster a donkey.
    The additional purpose it served was a little bit of light-hearted relief. There have been times where I've just banned people outright for those sorts of threads/replies. I mean, the fact that I tend not to ban people immediately is of itself a breach of the forum charter. I was going to infract them, but decided I'd give them a break and just draw their attention (yet again) to the forum rules. I say again because Beano posts regularly enough in LD and is aware of the rules.
    The thread was in the wrong forum however beano didnt offer legal advice in his response.
    Oh, he did. He did. This sort of thing constitutes legal advice - in fact, I can't really see what it could be if it's not legal advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I dont really see what additional purpose it served calling either poster a donkey. The thread was in the wrong forum however beano didnt offer legal advice in his response.

Unfortunately thaedydal has beat me to it with the pun and therefore i cannot finish my post without making an ass of myself.

Hey at least you accepted your beating with grace and weren't mule headed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

We shouldn't be trying to pin the tail on the poster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The additional purpose it served was a little bit of light-hearted relief. There have been times where I've just banned people outright for those sorts of threads/replies. I mean, the fact that I tend not to ban people immediately is of itself a breach of the forum charter. I was going to infract them, but decided I'd give them a break and just draw their attention (yet again) to the forum rules. I say again because Beano posts regularly enough in LD and is aware of the rules.

Fair point. Its not the most offensive of things you could have said. ;)
    wrote:
    Oh, he did. He did. This sort of thing constitutes legal advice - in fact, I can't really see what it could be if it's not legal advice.

im no solicitor, what beano quoted is correct when it comes to employment law and he did reference the right website for the OP to consult further. But i see your point. :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Hey at least you accepted your beating with grace and weren't mule headed about it.

Without an heir of grace im finished spending my 2 cents. You could say Im done, kay.

Thaedydal wrote:
    I believe the expression is that 'the law is an ass', not a donkey.
    Lol. Nice one, jennet.
    Without an heir of grace im finished spending my 2 cents. You could say Im done, kay.
    You can burro another 2c from me if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Insults, they are a textual eyesore. To have an eyesore on this site is an eyesore in itself. Too many eeyores round these here parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

An good example of a personal unsult:
    OP, your a dick shiitting fuucking piece of motherfuucking piece of shiit.

An bad example of a personal insult:
    OP, you are a really nice guy. Im going to give you some thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Roffle.

Actually, there's scope for something similar to that in this vB version. Admins?

No. [blink]There is not.[/blink]

It's disabled? Sweeeet. Horrible, horrible tag.

Oh, I meant in terms of making sticklies stand out a bit more:
    http://www.htireland.com/general-topics/.

There used to be some pretty fugly vB code here, iirc. Sparkles and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Winters wrote: »
    An good example of a personal unsult:
    OP, your a dick shiitting fuucking piece of motherfuucking piece of shiit.

An bad example of a personal insult:
    OP, you are a really nice guy. Im going to give you some thanks.

What is a personal insult?

It is something that refers to somone's private life or body.

Winters: I am sorry to hear that you suffer psycologically because your being bullied by your inlaw's. I am sorry to hear that you have lost weight due to being a victim.

Thats a personal insult.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gordon wrote: »
    Insults, they are a textual eyesore. To have an eyesore on this site is an eyesore in itself. Too many eeyores round these here parts.

What have I ever done to you?

:(:(:(

Advertisement