Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what constitutes personal abuse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lol @ 5starpool :D
    pirelli wrote: »
    What is a personal insult?

It is something that refers to somone's private life or body.

I am sorry to hear that you suffer psycologically because your being bullied by your inlaw's. I am sorry to hear that you have lost weight due to being a victim.

Thats a personal insult.
    I'm not actually sure if you're taking the pish, pirelli, but taking you seriously for the moment, I can't see that that is automatically a personal insult. Insensitive, perhaps, depending on context, and I suppose if it was used in a context where it was obviously phrased that way to attempt to avoid the personal insult rule, and stick the boot in, then it could be interpreted that way. But on the face of it at least, it looks more like a genuine comment which, depending on context as I said, could be somewhat insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Asinine thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Beano wrote: »
    For instance would calling another poster a "donkey" constitute personal abuse?

or salad boy

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Calling someone a donkey may be personal abuse as there is little evidence of people possessing donkey DNA.

However, there is first hand evidence (i.e. your own admission) that you partook of salads on Friday night, therefore the name has a basis in fact and is not personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Salad Boy wrote: »
    or salad boy
    Truth. :D

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    Truth. :D

see even smashey is agreeing that the torment that certain people are putting me through is tangible to personal abuse

FIGHT THE POWER

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm not agreeing with it, more like enjoying it. :D

pah your just part of the conspiracy then, and I'm going to find out how far this conspiracy goes.

you haven't heard the last of salad boy, no wait JSB

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

loldonkey.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

On a tangent, people give advice similar to that given in the OP's example in work and jobs all the time, is that not considered a risk because it's not a legal forum or something?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

SDooM wrote: »
    On a tangent, people give advice similar to that given in the OP's example in work and jobs all the time, is that not considered a risk because it's not a legal forum or something?

I don't think they should be doing so. Also, it tends to happen a lot in the Consumer Issues forum as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Maximilian wrote: »
    I don't think they should be doing so. Also, it tends to happen a lot in the Consumer Issues forum as well.

Might start a thread on that later as I would be one of the people doing so on both of those fora, and wouldn't want boards getting in trouble for it.

hey hey hey enough of of tangent crap and back to me I'm the important one here this morning

viva la revolution!!!!!!!!

Salad Boy wrote: »
    hey hey hey enough of of tangent crap and back to me I'm the important one here this morning

viva la revolution!!!!!!!!
    Pwned! :D

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Posters have called me donkey before. Dunno if it was an insult, dyslexia, or a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lmfAo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Does being called a "smelly mick" for being an Irish speaker constitute personal
    abuse?

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Does being called a "smelly mick" for being an Irish speaker constitute personal abuse?
    Possibly, though personally I'd be more worried if someone said I had one ...

EDIT: Actually, just fell over the original post there now. Would definitely say the post was tongue-in-cheek, if maybe a tad heavy on the miracle, especially if you're not a regular around that forum ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Does being called a "smelly mick" for being an Irish speaker constitute personal
    abuse?
    I think that was posted in jest. If you feel it went too far report it. report.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

abuse?

It would be part racist and part personal and therefore abusive and probably very offensive to that person. Unless that person's name is Mick -- short for Michael or Mickey -- and Mick has just passed some gas, and your his mate and are just voicing an opinion on the smell of the surrounding gas in your environment than it's only bawdy banter.

lol @ 5starpool :D
    What is a personal insult?

It is something that refers to somone's private life or body.

Winters: I am sorry to hear that you suffer psycologically because your being bullied by your inlaw's. I am sorry to hear that you have lost weight due to being a victim.

Thats a personal insult.
    I'm not actually sure if you're taking the pish, pirelli, but taking you seriously for the moment, I can't see that that is automatically a personal insult. Insensitive, perhaps, depending on context, and I suppose if it was used in a context where it was obviously phrased that way to attempt to avoid the personal insult rule, and stick the boot in, then it could be interpreted that way. But on the face of it at least, it looks more like a genuine comment which, depending on context as I said, could be somewhat insensitive.

I think it defines personal and by implying someone is a victim is almost slander and so it's insulting or at least in reality; is, as people can be easily insulted.

Sherifu wrote: »
    I think that was posted in jest. If you feel it went too far report it. report.gif

'Ní seoinini sinn go leir'

It would be part racist and part personal and therefore abusive and probably very offensive to that person. I suppose in that context it could be.

At first I had actually thought it was just random speculation , but I found the post after sherifu indicated it existed. When poll dubh described the scenario where a Irish speaking person was racially abused then I assumed it was just a random example. I suppose Poll Dubh you would be a person posting as gaeilge in the Irish forum. I suppose if I posted in the nigerian section and you posted me that I was nappy head shovel then I can see where it might be offensive.
    origionally posted by DRakE
    quote:

stick to the irish board you smelly mick

Drake aka francis drake racist and murderer of irish

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:R-FT3NYHizAJ:www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D231307+Francis+drake+hate+the+irish+racist+to+irish&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Sherifu wrote: »

I didn't report it in case it was in jest but it was edited by a mod anyway.

04-02-2008, 12:19 #65
    deepforest

Its a pity that some people on the site chose to comment on him so unfairly,
    but then I'm reckoning these lads are living in a village similar to Killanskully
    with a pint in one hand and a hurley in the other.

Regards
    Deepforest

Possibly another post by deepforest in between..
    26-02-2008, 08:47
    Evil Phil

Deepforest banned permanently. I will not tolerate personal abuse or racial slurs on this forum.

One month later....

28-03-2008, 00:17
    Evil Phil

Yeah, we're all sorry for the english.

I'll get my coat ...
    :D:D:D:
    28-03-2008, 14:46
    Evil Phil

I wasn't slagging you PanK, I was slagging english people. Sorry
    :D:D

Well even the best of them make bloopers.We should start a MOD blooper thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I didn't report it in case it was in jest but it was edited by a mod anyway.
    I saw that. Take no notice of the 1 or 2 that like to act the mick on that thread tbh.

Beano wrote: »
    For instance would calling another poster a "donkey" constitute personal abuse?

un c Collins dictionary states that personal is :

1. belonging too. affecting.
    2.concerning a person's private
    life 3. of a persons body.

Abuse: swear at , slander, defame, libel,
    injure , mistreat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there is an easy line
    if i was in rl and called some one a donkey in front of a group of people
    someone i didn't know whould this be seen as an isullt
    well yes it would
    the question here is why its being made light of
    the fact is a mod has a difficult job and should understand that his/her lighthearted comment could be another man/womans hurtdul jibe

so if i muck up i'll take being called a donkey over an infraction but it need to be an option the default being "take an infraction for accidental breaking of forum charters"
    the option being
    "be called a donkey for accidental breaking of forum charter"

It isn't necessarily personal abuse by definition, but for an administrator to call someone a donkey it might be abusive. As that person might be seen to be exploiting their authority or mis-using the charter to make some fun of someone.

It is for that reason a misapplication of the charter rules and infraction system regardless of whether it merits an infraction (in this case it didn't).
    As it is a misapplication than it is in the grey area of being abusive.

As it isnt personal than it is with a push abuse as there was an element of public interest in that users might be tired of threads getting locked and people not phrasing their question properly, but again nowhere near enough public interest to warrant abuse as if that could ever be justified by public interest....

Advertisement