Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending a Kitchen worktop

Options
  • 29-03-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,
    I'm planning on extending my kitchen worktop by about 900mm, to install a new dishwasher and I am looking for some advice on the best way to create the butt joint between the existing worktop and the new worktop. Due to the location of the items below the worktop (dishwasher, tumbledryer and cabinets) the joint between new and old will be floating and not supported directly underneath. I'm thinking of using some offcuts underneath the joint and just glueing and screwing them in place, I also have a butt joint connect for the top surface. I hope that this will be enough to support it.
    Any advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

BIRDCAGE wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm planning on extending my kitchen worktop by about 900mm, to install a new dishwasher and I am looking for some advice on the best way to create the butt joint between the existing worktop and the new worktop. Due to the location of the items below the worktop (dishwasher, tumbledryer and cabinets) the joint between new and old will be floating and not supported directly underneath. I'm thinking of using some offcuts underneath the joint and just glueing and screwing them in place, I also have a butt joint connect for the top surface. I hope that this will be enough to support it.
    Any advice welcome

Should be enough: have u considered using dowels or use a biscuit joiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BIRDCAGE

Thanks for the tip iroha, I hadn't thought of using dowels. I had no idea what a biscuit joiner was and just googled it, it looks a bit too advanced for my DIY skill level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

BIRDCAGE wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip iroha, I hadn't thought of using dowels. I had no idea what a biscuit joiner was and just googled it, it looks a bit too advanced for my DIY skill level.

it is a tricky operation. You will need a router with kitchen top jig to do a good job on it. Pay a kitchen fitter or chippy 100 euros for a nixer.
    using a router for such a deep pass is a job for a skilled trademan.

The Jig used is a fantastic bit of kit.

If you fancy giving it a bash your self.

Hire a biscuit jointer and skill saw.

You will need a straight edge clamped to the work top to be cut. Use this as a guide for your saw cut. Keep the skill saw tight against the straight edge.

turn the bench over and mark your work top on the under side. You will also have to cut on the under side, as not to chip the top surface.

mark out your biscuits and glue them in.

make sure you wear safety glasses and don't cut your fingers off;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Don't use off cuts to support uncerneath as you won't be able to fit your appliance in if you do. Always make a joint where it will be supported, people often jump up on counter tops to get to presses etc, yours would crumble if hanging in mid air, hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BIRDCAGE

Thanks folks for all the advice, unfortunitely Hippychippy I completed the job yesterday and went ahead with my plan or using offcuts underneath the joint. It actually turned out better then expected,.. I had already considered the problem of the appliances not fitting underneath and had everything measured up before starting to make sure that this wouldn't be a problem.

The layout I have put together has a tumbledryer on the far left with vertical supported either side, next to that is a dishwasher with the joint between new and old counter about roughly 6inchs in from the left side . The old counter continues on to the right side (the full 3 metres) with floor cabinets beside the dishwasher. The offcuts I used where about 10inches x 20inches and these were both glued and screwed into place.

Here's hoping it will last, if not I'll get a chippy in to fix....... but so far all its cost me is the price of the counter top and my time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement